PDA

View Full Version : Octopus twirl now illegal, punishable by $10,000 fine

stephanie
04-20-2008, 04:07 PM
:eek:

Posted by George James Malik April 19, 2008 08:29AM
According to the Free Press's Helene St. James, the NHL has banned Al Sobotka's classic twirling of octopi at Joe Louis Arena:

April 18, Detroit Free Press: Just a little tidbit from Joe Louis Arena: The NHL has decided octopus twirling doesn't fit in with league image, or something to that effect.
The Wings have been told by the league that if Al Sobotka (or anyone else) twirls the octopus that's thrown onto the ice before playoff games, it'll cost the team $10,000.

I know opposing general managers have complained of this tradition because stuff flies off the octopus and sticks to the ice, but this is such a recognizable Detroit tradition.

One landed, just after the game, on the ice before Game 5, as usual. Nashville defenseman Greg Zanon skated by and whacked it aside with his stick.

read the rest..
http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2008/04/octopus_twirl_now_illegal_puni.html

red states rule
04-20-2008, 04:10 PM

According to the Free Press's Helene St. James, the NHL has banned Al Sobotka's classic twirling of octopi at Joe Louis Arena:

April 18, Detroit Free Press: Just a little tidbit from Joe Louis Arena: The NHL has decided octopus twirling doesn't fit in with league image, or something to that effect.
The Wings have been told by the league that if Al Sobotka (or anyone else) twirls the octopus that's thrown onto the ice before playoff games, it'll cost the team $10,000.

I know opposing general managers have complained of this tradition because stuff flies off the octopus and sticks to the ice, but this is such a recognizable Detroit tradition.

One landed, just after the game, on the ice before Game 5, as usual. Nashville defenseman Greg Zanon skated by and whacked it aside with his stick.

read the rest..

No wonder the ratings of the NHL are low and sinking. Don't let the players and fans have any fun at the games

stephanie
04-20-2008, 04:18 PM
I'd never heard of this, but I'm not a big hockey fan..

I saw a picture of someone twirling the octopus, and I can't stop laughing..

Kinda weird..:poke:

Sitarro
04-20-2008, 04:20 PM

read the rest..

What is octopus twirling and why does it have any significance to hockey?

stephanie
04-20-2008, 04:32 PM
I just ran across the article and thought it weird...

here's a picture...
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m268/alaskamomma/340x.jpg

Mr. P
04-20-2008, 04:54 PM
Oh boy, no octopus twirl but let the FIGHTS RAGE ON!

I used to be a big hockey fan, actually it's the only pro sports game I've ever attended, but the endless and escalating fights have made me lose interest in watching even on TV.

red states rule
04-20-2008, 05:06 PM

I used to be a big hockey fan, actually it's the only pro sports game I've ever attended, but the endless and escalating fights have made me lose interest in watching even on TV.

You mean you will not be watching the DNC convention in Denver?

jackass
04-20-2008, 05:13 PM

When is the last time you watched?? Fighting is pretty rare nowadays. I like the fighting in hockey!!

Mr. P
04-20-2008, 05:31 PM
When is the last time you watched?? Fighting is pretty rare nowadays. I like the fighting in hockey!!

Just last weekend. Rare is a matter of opinion I guess. IMO there should be no fights at all.

gabosaurus
04-20-2008, 05:59 PM
If you want to watch fights, go watch that ultimate fighting shit.
As for octopus twirls, you have to expect that kind of stuff in Detroit. It's like Philly booing Santa Claus.

jackass
04-20-2008, 06:26 PM
Just last weekend. Rare is a matter of opinion I guess. IMO there should be no fights at all.

Really?? And you think there is too much? Fighting and hockey go together. I dont want a brawl every game, but a nice fight every now and then adds some excitement.

manu1959
04-20-2008, 06:52 PM

if you played you would know why there are fights......

actsnoblemartin
04-20-2008, 06:55 PM
male testosterone? :laugh2:

82Marine89
04-20-2008, 07:00 PM
male testosterone? :laugh2:

Defending your goalie. Protecting your offense from cheap hits. Those are my top two choices.

actsnoblemartin
04-20-2008, 07:00 PM
i know, i just had to have fun with it

Defending your goalie. Protecting your offense from cheap hits. Those are my top two choices.

82Marine89
04-20-2008, 07:04 PM
And for all you puckheads out there...

http://www.stitchesny.com/NY_Islanders.gif

Dilloduck
04-20-2008, 07:12 PM
You mean you will not be watching the DNC convention in Denver?

Do you think that maybe you've finally gone too far with your hyper-partisanship insanity ??? If you're gonna swamp us with it at least confine it to an appropriate thread. :slap:

Mr. P
04-20-2008, 07:32 PM

I know the why...it's because it's accepted, that's no excuse. If they toss these guys out for the whole game instead of just a few minutes we'd see much less of it.
So they have contact and cheap shots. so does football, you don't see brawls every two minutes in football games. It's ridiculous.

hjmick
04-20-2008, 10:04 PM
If they stop the fighting in hockey, you'd see a lot more injuries as the result of high sticking.