PDA

View Full Version : Pope acknowledges Church pedophilia problem

gabosaurus
04-20-2008, 06:38 PM
Now if only they can get the guilty clergy to admit it. And stop their Catholic hierarchy from covering the whole thing up.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080420/ap_on_re_us/pope_impact

My Winter Storm
04-20-2008, 10:23 PM
The Pope may admit that abuse in the Church goes on, but he has no way of stopping it unless he changes the rules and makes it mandatory that all abuse is reported. Stop putting the Church ahead of an abuse victim.

Said1
04-21-2008, 05:46 PM
The Pope may admit that abuse in the Church goes on, but he has no way of stopping it unless he changes the rules and makes it mandatory that all abuse is reported. Stop putting the Church ahead of an abuse victim.

I don't think making abuse reporting mandatory will change anything.

Dilloduck
04-21-2008, 05:55 PM

You don't think that cranking up that Catholic guilt dial another notch will force a confession huh? :laugh2:

Said1
04-21-2008, 06:00 PM
You don't think that cranking up that Catholic guilt dial another notch will force a confession huh? :laugh2:

What do most people do when they fear getting caught and-or shunned by their peers? :cheers2:

gabosaurus
04-21-2008, 06:43 PM

No one expects the Catholic Inquisition! :laugh2:

Hobbit
04-21-2008, 07:13 PM
No one expects the Catholic Inquisition! :laugh2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uprjmoSMJ-o

Seriousness aside, I always thought that the appropriate penance for many crimes was turning yourself in.

My Winter Storm
04-21-2008, 07:59 PM

Why not? The Priests will know the names of these people, they can tell the police and have them arrested. No more child abuse.

Said1
04-23-2008, 07:26 AM
Why not? The Priests will know the names of these people, they can tell the police and have them arrested. No more child abuse.

Sure. Simple as that. Jus like they've been doing all along. In Canada, police are supposed to notify child protetive services if pedophiles are still around children, even if there have been no charges, although an admissin has been made. If the poilice can't even do that, why would the church comply with new rules? 100 of child abuse is suppposed to stop now, beause some one said? As if.

theHawk
04-23-2008, 01:02 PM
Now if only they can get the guilty clergy to admit it. And stop their Catholic hierarchy from covering the whole thing up.

Now all we need are school administrators to admit to the rampant sexual abuse going on in public schools, and for the educational hierarchy from covering up the tracks of the pedophile teachers.

My Winter Storm
04-24-2008, 12:39 AM
Sure. Simple as that. Jus like they've been doing all along. In Canada, police are supposed to notify child protetive services if pedophiles are still around children, even if there have been no charges, although an admissin has been made. If the poilice can't even do that, why would the church comply with new rules? 100 of child abuse is suppposed to stop now, beause some one said? As if.

Okay, maybe not as simple as that, but perhaps the Church could work with the police in coming up with some sort of solution.

Said1
04-24-2008, 04:54 PM
Okay, maybe not as simple as that, but perhaps the Church could work with the police in coming up with some sort of solution.

Maybe. Although in the case of Cornwall, Canada, re the Cornwall-Alexandria diocese, the police and judicial system were complacent - that is, the judicial/law enforcement system is made up of pedophiles and those who defend and hide them. Might be different somewhere else though.

Hagbard Celine
04-24-2008, 05:03 PM
So now when I bring up the well-known fact that pedophilia is a problem in the priesthood and idiot yahoos on this site defiantly ask for a "link," all I have to do is quote the Pope :lol:

Yurt
04-24-2008, 09:21 PM
So now when I bring up the well-known fact that pedophilia is a problem in the priesthood and idiot yahoos on this site defiantly ask for a "link," all I have to do is quote the Pope :lol:

you make it out as if most priests are pedos. maybe when you start saying the same thing about teachers (most likely same percentage) as you do about clergy. it is your bias against religion hagbard....

Hagbard Celine
04-25-2008, 08:37 AM
you make it out as if most priests are pedos. maybe when you start saying the same thing about teachers (most likely same percentage) as you do about clergy. it is your bias against religion hagbard....

No I don't make it out that way.

glockmail
04-25-2008, 08:40 AM

Then again, there are those who need to find some source of contention in anything, just to validate themselves.

Delicious irony! :laugh2: