PDA

View Full Version : Assassination Attempt on VP Cheney Fails; 23 Dead

5stringJeff
02-27-2007, 12:10 PM
I wish we would cross the border in to Pakistan and mop up the remains of the Taliban.

------------
A suicide bomber attacked the entrance to the main U.S. military base in Afghanistan on Tuesday during a visit by Vice President Dick Cheney, killing up to 23 people and wounding 20.

Cheney was unhurt in the attack, which was claimed by the Taliban and was the closest that militants have come to a top U.S. official visiting Afghanistan. At least one U.S. soldier, an American contractor and a South Korean solder were among the dead, NATO said.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/02/27/ap3466423.html

02-27-2007, 03:21 PM
Am I the only one who thinks it's kind of odd that the media is totally ignoring the fact that the VP was almost murdered today?

Nienna
02-27-2007, 03:24 PM
Am I the only one who thinks it's kind of odd that the media is totally ignoring the fact that the VP was almost murdered today?

Give them TIME, man! They aren't sure how to spin this yet!

darin
02-27-2007, 03:26 PM
"Due to The Bush Administrations Global Warming problems, and the War in Iraq Failure, Proper - uh...hrm...well...uh...gimme a minute..."

That's the headline on cnn right now...

Abbey Marie
02-27-2007, 03:40 PM
"Terrorists target Cheney in attempt to push Pelosi closer to Presidency."

Gunny
02-27-2007, 09:40 PM

Bet they wouldn't be ignoring it had it succeeded. They'd be blaming cheney for being the cause of it.

Yurt
02-27-2007, 10:51 PM
Bet they wouldn't be ignoring it had it succeeded. They'd be blaming cheney for being the cause of it.

And that sums up the thought.

MSM :boom2:

tim_duncan2000
02-28-2007, 06:24 PM
And they would probably also be glad because they're sick assholes.

Gaffer
02-28-2007, 07:23 PM
"Terrorists target Cheney in attempt to push Pelosi closer to Presidency."

That's where they don't understand our system. Bush would immediately pick a new VP. comrade polosi would be no closer than she is now. Even the dumbocrats don't realize that's the process.

Gunny
02-28-2007, 09:19 PM
That's where they don't understand our system. Bush would immediately pick a new VP. comrade polosi would be no closer than she is now. Even the dumbocrats don't realize that's the process.

What is the actual process? Reason I ask, is that when Agnew was forced to resign, Nixon DID choose the Speaker of the House. I never really considered whether or not it was Nixon's choice, or a default.

Gaffer
02-28-2007, 11:55 PM
What is the actual process? Reason I ask, is that when Agnew was forced to resign, Nixon DID choose the Speaker of the House. I never really considered whether or not it was Nixon's choice, or a default.

The president can chose anyone he wants. He's not about to select someone from another party as the VP. The speaker is inline for the presidency only if both the president and the VP die. If Cheney resigned tomorrow the president would simply appoint someone else. Just like he picks his running mate at the convention. It's his choice.

manu1959
02-28-2007, 11:58 PM
I wish we would cross the border in to Pakistan and mop up the remains of the Taliban.

------------
A suicide bomber attacked the entrance to the main U.S. military base in Afghanistan on Tuesday during a visit by Vice President Dick Cheney, killing up to 23 people and wounding 20.

Cheney was unhurt in the attack, which was claimed by the Taliban and was the closest that militants have come to a top U.S. official visiting Afghanistan. At least one U.S. soldier, an American contractor and a South Korean solder were among the dead, NATO said.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/02/27/ap3466423.html

did you read that pakistan was going to grant the area of pakistan that is the taliban region...independance.....it would be open season.....the vote was delayed due to an attack by "us special forces"

mrg666
03-01-2007, 02:47 AM
did you read that pakistan was going to grant the area of pakistan that is the taliban region...independance.....it would be open season.....the vote was delayed due to an attack by "us special forces"
give them there f*** in independance then we can roll the tanks in without upsetting the apple cart maybe bomb a bit to soften em up

Gaffer
03-01-2007, 10:50 PM
Yeah definately give them their independance. Then we can do with them as we please. It will draw all of pakistans radicals into it as well and we can clean them out at the same time.

Gunny
03-03-2007, 11:33 AM
The president can chose anyone he wants. He's not about to select someone from another party as the VP. The speaker is inline for the presidency only if both the president and the VP die. If Cheney resigned tomorrow the president would simply appoint someone else. Just like he picks his running mate at the convention. It's his choice.

Thanks for clearing that up. I understand the succession, I just wasn't clear on the VP thing if the President remains.

LiberalNation
03-03-2007, 01:51 PM
Turns out it was just a random attack not aimed at Cheney. Probabaly why it turned out not to be a huge earth shattering story for the media.

Abbey Marie
03-03-2007, 02:20 PM
Turns out it was just a random attack not aimed at Cheney. Probabaly why it turned out not to be a huge earth shattering story for the media.

Not true. They under-reported it the whole time they thought it was aimed at the VP. By contrast, when Cheney accidentally shot his friend, it was blazened everywhere.

LiberalNation
03-03-2007, 02:44 PM
That's because that was funny and history making. A VP had never shot anybody before. Not to mention it got big rating because of universail interest.

If Cheney had been killed the news would have been blazing with it but since he wasn't it wasn't a big story.

manu1959
03-03-2007, 02:59 PM
A VP had never shot anybody before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Burr#The_Duel

LiberalNation
03-03-2007, 03:05 PM
in a long time.

Nienna
03-03-2007, 03:54 PM

Or maybe the "fact" that it was a random attack is the spin.

Gunny
03-03-2007, 04:13 PM
That's because that was funny and history making. A VP had never shot anybody before. Not to mention it got big rating because of universail interest.

If Cheney had been killed the news would have been blazing with it but since he wasn't it wasn't a big story.

You're incorrect about the VP shooting someone thing, but IMO, it WAS funny.

However, not more newsworthy than an attempt to assasinate the VP.

And obviously, a dead former Playboy Playmate trumps all.

03-03-2007, 04:55 PM

Yeah... I'm sure Cheney was laughing like crazy when he accidentially shot his friend. Compassionate liberals at work again sighs.

Do you honestly think an assasination attempt on the VP wouldn't be huge ratings as well?

03-03-2007, 04:56 PM

Considering the Taliban claimed they targeted Cheney, that is a huge spin..

Gunny
03-03-2007, 06:27 PM
Yeah... I'm sure Cheney was laughing like crazy when he accidentially shot his friend. Compassionate liberals at work again sighs.

Do you honestly think an assasination attempt on the VP wouldn't be huge ratings as well?

I would venture to say that at the time, Cheney was NOT laughing at all. I doubt seriously his friend was either. By the time we got the information; however, the extent of the injury was known and it DID come off as humorous to me.

LiberalNation
03-03-2007, 06:51 PM

It went their in secret, hardly no one knew he was there. It was by all acounts even the governments just a random attack not an attack aimed at Cheney.

LiberalNation
03-03-2007, 06:53 PM
Considering the Taliban claimed they targeted Cheney, that is a huge spin..
U.S. says Cheney wasn't target of Afghan attack
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/world/16800741.htm

So you believe the Taliban over the US.

03-03-2007, 09:55 PM
U.S. says Cheney wasn't target of Afghan attack
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/world/16800741.htm

So you believe the Taliban over the US.

I tend to take enemies seriously. Yes.

LiberalNation
03-04-2007, 09:24 AM
Not what I said, do you believe the Taliban in this instance over your own government.

I'm thinking they only claimed it was an attack on Cheney after hearing the news reports to make them selves look more than they actually are and take credit for something they didn't do.

Gunny
03-04-2007, 12:31 PM
Not what I said, do you believe the Taliban in this instance over your own government.

I'm thinking they only claimed it was an attack on Cheney after hearing the news reports to make them selves look more than they actually are and take credit for something they didn't do.

So had Cheney been killed, the fact that the attack may or may not have been random would mean exactly WHAT to the outcome?