PDA

View Full Version : Teaching my daughter about music

gabosaurus
04-21-2008, 06:40 PM
When our adoption is finalized (probably sometime in June), my husband and I have decided that our daughter will share our love of music. Not rap, country or any such similar bile. We will expose her to our vast musical background.

I have proposed this as one of our first mother-daughter concerts. My husband is not currently sharing my enthusiasm. But he will... eventually. :lmao:

http://www.pollstar.com/news/viewnews.pl?NewsID=9968

dan
04-21-2008, 07:30 PM
Bring earplugs!

Is Halford back with Judas Priest?

glockmail
04-21-2008, 08:00 PM
Shit, you can't even birth your own baby. What a useless excuse you are.

jimnyc
04-21-2008, 08:09 PM
Shit, you can't even birth your own baby. What a useless excuse you are.

C'mon, Glock. I love you man, but let's not lower ourselves to get someone else riled up. Gabby has been here long enough and should have an opportunity to participate in general chat and have fun without being poked with sticks. I honestly believe she has earned that. I also believe no woman should be laughed at for not having the ability to give birth, or choosing to adopt.

I know you 2 have a history, and I'm not taking sides or intervening, just hoping we can separate the bickering from the "fun" threads on the board. ('cept when it's OCA, we're allowed to make fun of him anywhere!)

Yurt
04-21-2008, 09:25 PM
When our adoption is finalized (probably sometime in June), my husband and I have decided that our daughter will share our love of music. Not rap, country or any such similar bile. We will expose her to our vast musical background.

I have proposed this as one of our first mother-daughter concerts. My husband is not currently sharing my enthusiasm. But he will... eventually. :lmao:

so you are not giving your daughter the freedom to choose?

Pale Rider
04-21-2008, 10:12 PM

What's wrong with country? I know a lot of it nowadays is just run of the mill, cookie cutter crap, but every once and awhile a really decent song will come along.

If your musical background is as vast as you say, it won't be solely limited to just head banging bile... eer... whatever it is... :D

manu1959
04-21-2008, 10:34 PM
forcing your kids to do things will not end well.....

gabosaurus
04-21-2008, 10:49 PM
Dudes, it's a joke. My husband does not share my appreciation of heavy metal, so I used this concert as a sharp pointed object to jab him with.
Just like last Saturday. My husband threatened to kidnap me and force me to attend the Elton John concert with him, his dad and both our moms. My dad was probably hiding in a closet someplace when the tickets were passed out.
We actually have pretty varied musical interests, developed from a variety of sources. Including: punk and metal (my dad), easy listening stuff (my mom), classic rock and singer-songwriters (my husband's parents), Latin pop-rock (my sister and her husband), progressive rock (my college roommate), acoustic singer-songwriters (my best friend Beth) and English pop-new wave (my best friend Lauren).

I'll laugh at Glock's kids later. It's gotta be tough, being conceived with a weak sperm.

hjmick
04-21-2008, 11:16 PM
Jimmy Buffett.

Mr. P
04-21-2008, 11:41 PM
Heavy metal and Rap don't fall anywhere close to being "music", sorry.

gabosaurus
04-21-2008, 11:56 PM
Fortunately, no one in my group of family and friends has ever been a fan of Jimmy Buffett. I fail to grasp his appeal.

I love heavy metal because it is uplifting. Sometimes you have a shitty day. When you are depressed, stressed out or just plain angry at the world, you don't want to listen to soft, wimpy music. You want music that picks you up and throws you against the wall.
If you are totally pissed, you don't want to hear "I love my baby, she fills my world with joy."
You want to hear "I want to kill you, rip your throat out with a saw..." :lmao:

DragonStryk72
04-22-2008, 12:16 AM
But country is the music of life!!

In seriousness, Trans-Siberian Orchestra's good, pretty much regardless of current mood. But if the kid doesn't like a particular type of music, just let it go. Nothing can kill any chance at enthiusiasm faster than being forced to listen to music you don't like, under the excuse of "broadening" you horizon.

Oh, and one warning: Your child will, upon listening to music, find one song that they absolutely love..... a song you will hate, and they will want to listen to it again, and again, and again.

glockmail
04-22-2008, 05:29 AM
C'mon, Glock. I love you man, but let's not lower ourselves to get someone else riled up. Gabby has been here long enough and should have an opportunity to participate in general chat and have fun without being poked with sticks. I honestly believe she has earned that. I also believe no woman should be laughed at for not having the ability to give birth, or choosing to adopt.

I know you 2 have a history, and I'm not taking sides or intervening, just hoping we can separate the bickering from the "fun" threads on the board. ('cept when it's OCA, we're allowed to make fun of him anywhere!)
OK- No problem.

glockmail
04-22-2008, 05:31 AM

I'll laugh at Glock's kids later. It's gotta be tough, being conceived with a weak sperm.
Whoops- so sorry Jim, truce is over.

Your attack on my children will fail as miserably as your attack on my wife. By the way they were both conceived and delivered naturally. :coffee:

jackass
04-22-2008, 07:38 AM
I for one am growing very tired of the war between you two. I suggest you BOTH tone it down or you both will be taking some time off.

glockmail
04-22-2008, 07:54 AM
Oh don't be such an jackass about it. I've made less than a half-dozen posts attacking her, and she's only made a few attacking my wife and family. :laugh2: Waht ever happened to the rule against that, by the way?

Compare that to some of the run-ins around here, which go on for months over dozens of threads.

gabosaurus
04-22-2008, 08:15 AM
Oh don't be such an jackass about it. I've made less than a half-dozen posts attacking her, and she's only made a few attacking my wife and family. :laugh2: Waht ever happened to the rule against that, by the way?
Compare that to some of the run-ins around here, which go on for months over dozens of threads.

Dammit, I actually agree with Glock about something. Will wonders never cease. :laugh2:

Up next, how to defend yourself against fresh fruit...

jackass
04-22-2008, 08:39 AM

Personal Feuds - No surprisingly, members can sometimes get involved in personal feuds. We ask that these be kept off the boards. Please don't derail threads by going "after" someone you don't like. Don't start threads just to rile someone up. Don't harass other members. Please PM staff if you need assistance.

Flaming - While in heated debates, we understand that it can become emotional and sometimes we let that get the better of us. The board will tolerate such outbursts to a degree. So long as it doesn't get out of hand, and become a habitual occurrence, it will be tolerated. If this is abused, the member will be issued a warning via PM and asked to refrain from further abuse. Sarcastic comments are not considered flaming. Not discussing the subject and attacking the poster in a nasty manner would be. We're all adults here, so let's again allow common sense to prevail here.

Ya know, I dont mind a good fued, but when things start to get personal thats where I draw the line. Call each other all the names you want, but leave the personal attacks out of it.

hjmick
04-22-2008, 09:19 AM
Up next, how to defend yourself against fresh fruit...

Classic Monty Python:

piWCBOsJr-w

gabosaurus
04-22-2008, 09:21 AM
"You! Mr. Apricot! Come at me with that banana!" :lmao:

glockmail
04-22-2008, 09:27 AM
....Call each other all the names you want, but leave the personal attacks out of it. Wh-whaaat? :laugh2:

gabosaurus
04-22-2008, 09:29 AM
While on the subject of Classic Python....When my sister was a high school senior, one of the requirements of Spanish Honor Society was a community service project. So my sister and a friend went to some heavily Latino elementary schools and did the Dead Parrot sketch in Spanish. It went OK until an older principal heard it. She was horrified.
Later in the summer, they went to some daycare centers and did the Crunchy Frog sketch in Spanish.

Pale Rider
04-22-2008, 10:04 AM
Dudes, it's a joke. My husband does not share my appreciation of heavy metal, so I used this concert as a sharp pointed object to jab him with.
Just like last Saturday. My husband threatened to kidnap me and force me to attend the Elton John concert with him, his dad and both our moms. My dad was probably hiding in a closet someplace when the tickets were passed out.
We actually have pretty varied musical interests, developed from a variety of sources. Including: punk and metal (my dad), easy listening stuff (my mom), classic rock and singer-songwriters (my husband's parents), Latin pop-rock (my sister and her husband), progressive rock (my college roommate), acoustic singer-songwriters (my best friend Beth) and English pop-new wave (my best friend Lauren).

I don't recall where I read it, but I read that "they" say, people who love music live longer.

jackass
04-22-2008, 11:29 AM
Wh-whaaat? :laugh2:

You cant tell the differnce between calling her an idiot and making fun of the fact that she cant have kids? Come on now....

Pale Rider
04-22-2008, 11:35 AM
You cant tell the differnce between calling her an idiot and making fun of the fact that she cant have kids? Come on now....

Gabbby "can't" have kids? Damn... too bad she's married... that's just the kind of woman I'm looking for... :dance:

glockmail
04-22-2008, 11:40 AM
Must be my "weak sperm". :laugh2:

Tell me Gabs, is it like weak tea, or weak catsup?

glockmail
04-22-2008, 11:41 AM
Gabbby "can't" have kids? Damn... too bad she's married... that's just the kind of woman I'm looking for... :dance:
She's about the right height, and her flat head is a nice place to rest your beer.

gabosaurus
04-22-2008, 09:14 PM
Poor Glock. All these years and he still hasn't figured out the difference between marrying a pussy and being one. :laugh2:

*waits for a picture of Glock in his "whipped" shirt*

Mr. P
04-22-2008, 11:04 PM
I for one am growing very tired of the war between you two. I suggest you BOTH tone it down or you both will be taking some time off.

Errrrrr....and yet it goes on for another page? Get off yer ass. :slap:

gabosaurus
04-22-2008, 11:15 PM
Wars are fought with weapons of mass destruction (except Iraq, of course).
Glock and I are fighting with pointed sticks and soft cushions (with all the stuffing pushed to one end).

NOW DON'T COME BACK, OR I WILL TAUNT YOU A SECOND TIME!! :mad: