View Full Version : Adjust Your Clocks, It's Sharia Time

Kathianne
04-21-2008, 07:52 PM
Cocktails verboten:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7359258.stm

Muslim call to adopt Mecca time
By Magdi Abdelhadi
BBC Arab affairs analyst

Muslim scientists and clerics have called for the adoption of Mecca time to replace GMT, arguing that the Saudi city is the true centre of the Earth.

Mecca is the direction all Muslims face when they perform their daily prayers.

The call was issued at a conference held in the Gulf state of Qatar under the title: Mecca, the Centre of the Earth, Theory and Practice.

One geologist argued that unlike other longitudes, Mecca's was in perfect alignment to magnetic north.

He said the English had imposed GMT on the rest of the world by force when Britain was a big colonial power, and it was about time that changed.

Mecca watch

A prominent cleric, Sheikh Youssef al-Qaradawy, said modern science had at last provided evidence that Mecca was the true centre of the Earth; proof, he said, of the greatness of the Muslim "qibla" - the Arabic word for the direction Muslims turn to when they pray.

The meeting also reviewed what has been described as a Mecca watch, the brainchild of a French Muslim.

The watch is said to rotate anti-clockwise and is supposed to help Muslims determine the direction of Mecca from any point on Earth.

The meeting in Qatar is part of a popular trend in some Muslim societies of seeking to find Koranic precedents for modern science.

It is called "Ijaz al-Koran", which roughly translates as the "miraculous nature of the holy text".

The underlying belief is that scientific truths were also revealed in the Muslim holy book, and it is the work of scholars to unearth and publicise the textual evidence.

But the movement is not without its critics, who say that the notion that modern science was revealed in the Koran confuses spiritual truth, which is constant, and empirical truth, which depends on the state of science at any given point in time.

Gaffer
04-21-2008, 08:13 PM
Read this earlier today too. The muzzies aren't pushing anything on us, no. And what exactly is a muslim scientist?

Yurt
04-21-2008, 09:22 PM
could be i lack physics or something, but if they are claiming mecca is the true center, what about the other side of the world? or a quarter a way around the world?

manu1959
04-21-2008, 10:55 PM
could be i lack physics or something, but if they are claiming mecca is the true center, what about the other side of the world? or a quarter a way around the world?

isn't the center of a ball in the middle of the ball not on the surface....

Yurt
04-21-2008, 11:08 PM
isn't the center of a ball in the middle of the ball not on the surface....

thats what i thought, so i assumed they were talking about a "center point" on the outside of a sphere, which doesn't make sense, unless the sphere is not perfectly round and has magnetic poles like the earth. i don't understand the claim at all, and isn't the GMT time the "mean" time, not the "center" time

gabosaurus
04-21-2008, 11:09 PM
You people pick the stupidest things to bitch about. The English used to think the universe revolved around them. I am sure the Japanese thought the same thing.
Dubya believes in the same principle. But he agreed to let Blair keep the universal time setting.

theHawk
04-21-2008, 11:16 PM
And what exactly is a muslim scientist?

You know, the types that make great scientific advances in the Muslim world....like the suicide-bomb vest.

Yurt
04-21-2008, 11:19 PM
found this little gem from the article:

A prominent cleric, Sheikh Youssef al-Qaradawy, said modern science had at last provided evidence that Mecca was the true centre of the Earth; proof, he said, of the greatness of the Muslim "qibla" - the Arabic word for the direction Muslims turn to when they pray.

04-22-2008, 05:28 AM
You people pick the stupidest things to bitch about. The English used to think the universe revolved around them. I am sure the Japanese thought the same thing.
Dubya believes in the same principle. But he agreed to let Blair keep the universal time setting.

Actually, that's not true. The English didnt establish the time zones the way they did because they thought the universe revolved around them. It was actually they had a pretty logical way of figuring it out. They purposely made sure they could put the international date line in a location where it wouldnt be splitting any continents in two.

It's not really their fault that geography put England precisely half way around the world from the only really good spot for the date line.

Little-Acorn
04-22-2008, 09:43 AM
Ummm, Magnetic North is at 117 degrees West longitude. Mecca is at 39 degrees East. Meaning they are about 156 degrees apart in longitude.

If they were 0 apart, they'd be on the same longitude like this storyteller claims... but they aren't. Even if they were 180 degrees apart, then an argument could be made that they are on the "same" longitude, since longitude lines encircle the earth. But they aren't that either, not even close.

We already found out that most middle East Muslims can't fly planes or negotiate international peace worth a damn, or even develop indoor plumbing. Looks like they can't even navigate, either - a science thousands of years old.

Tell me exactly why we should consider Mecca the center of anything, other than confusion, corruption, poverty, and murder?

Pale Rider
04-22-2008, 10:38 AM
Well... uummm... I have a reply for the muslims... GO FUCK YOURSELVES!