PDA

View Full Version : Colo. lawmaker removed from podium over Mexicans remark

Yurt
04-21-2008, 09:33 PM
Colo. lawmaker removed from podium over Mexicans remark

DENVER - A Colorado legislator known for kicking a photographer was ordered to leave the podium of the state House of Representatives on Monday because he called Mexican workers "illiterate peasants."

State Rep. Douglas Bruce, who has a history of provoking controversy, made the comment during debate on a bill that would allow the state to help immigrant workers get temporary federal visas. The measure is intended to ease a shortage of farm workers in the state.

"I would like to have the opportunity to state at the microphone why I don't think we need 5,000 more illiterate peasants in Colorado," Bruce said.

His outburst drew an audible gasp from the House.

"How dare you," said state Rep. Kathleen Curry, a Democrat who was serving as chairwoman during the debate. She told the Republican lawmaker he was no longer recognized to speak.

House Minority Leader Mike May, head of the GOP caucus, said legislative leaders were trying to determine what action to take against Bruce.

Rep. Terrance Carroll, a Democrat, said the remark could result in a formal ethics complaint that would require a hearing and possible suspension, censure or expulsion.

Bruce later defended his remarks.

"I looked up 'illiterate' in the dictionary and it means somebody who is lacking in formal education or is unable to read and write," he said. "I don't think these people who are planning to come over here and pick potatoes or peaches are likely to have much of a formal education. I looked up the word 'peasant.' The word 'peasant' means a person who works in agricultural fields.

"These people, most of them, don't speak English. Most of them haven't had any formal education, that's why they're coming over here. I don't blame them for trying, but I don't think we should pave the way for more aliens to come here," he said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080421/ap_on_re_us/lawmaker_kicks_photographer

right or wrong, it is my understanding that speaking on the floor is near sacrosanct, in that, it provides absolute immunity from lawsuits for what you say. were his words "choice," probably not, but he is right, his words are not untrue.

actsnoblemartin
04-21-2008, 10:01 PM
how dare he be politically incorrect or tell the truth

gabosaurus
04-21-2008, 11:12 PM
how dare he be politically incorrect or tell the truth

What if the dude had called Israel a terrorist state? Would you still be applauding him?

LiberalNation
04-21-2008, 11:13 PM
Guys a piece of work.

On his first day in the House, Bruce kicked a news photographer on the House floor for taking his picture during the morning prayer. The act earned him the infamy of being the first legislator ever censured in the General Assembly's 130-year history.

Later in the session, Republican leaders publicly criticized Bruce and removed him from the veterans and military affairs committee after he snubbed a resolution honoring the sacrifices of veterans and U.S. troops.

actsnoblemartin
04-21-2008, 11:15 PM
no, because its a lie.

gabs, i like ya... but what do you want israel to do.

sit there and do nothing while rockets fly into israel?

sit there and do nothing while palestinian terrorists kill jews?

what do you really want israelies to do?

What if the dude had called Israel a terrorist state? Would you still be applauding him?

Yurt
04-21-2008, 11:21 PM

so you disagree with the definitions he used? you are talking opinion, he backed his words up with accepted definitions, surely that college education taught you the difference

manu1959
04-21-2008, 11:21 PM
if non english reading or speaking individuals that labour the soil......don't see who the guy was wrong.......

gabosaurus
04-21-2008, 11:32 PM
Martin, I just want you to realize that it is incorrect to insult any ethnic group. Especially if you are a politician.
I had some college classes with a girl from Syria. She was always nice, polite, almost demure. Until you mentioned Israel. She wanted the country nuked.
It's a matter of perspective.

Yurt
04-21-2008, 11:39 PM
Martin, I just want you to realize that it is incorrect to insult any ethnic group. Especially if you are a politician.
I had some college classes with a girl from Syria. She was always nice, polite, almost demure. Until you mentioned Israel. She wanted the country nuked.

again, what was the insult? what was it he said that was not true?

stephanie
04-21-2008, 11:43 PM
Oh for crying out loud...

String up a rope and hang them, tar and feather them, cut their tongue out, if they INSULT any ethnic group..

people really need to get a friggin life...:poke:

gabosaurus
04-21-2008, 11:47 PM
That's a pretty broad statement. What if the guy had denounced Catholic priests for being pedophiles?

My dad had a good comeback to that one. He was with a group of people when two guys started Mexican bashing. One turned to my dad and said "What I say is true, is it not?"
To which my dad replied "You have to stop disliking certain groups when they start marrying your kids."

stephanie
04-21-2008, 11:50 PM
That's a pretty broad statement. What if the guy had denounced Catholic priests for being pedophiles?

My dad had a good comeback to that one. He was with a group of people when two guys started Mexican bashing. One turned to my dad and said "What I say is true, is it not?"
To which my dad replied "You have to stop disliking certain groups when they start marrying your kids."

Ah..if I recall, we have been hearing about the Catholic priests all this past week..
Nobody told you to sit down and shut up...:poke:

actsnoblemartin
04-21-2008, 11:54 PM
its my fault she hates jews?

as far as this politician.

the questiont to ask is, is he smearing every mexican, or is he smearing illegal aliens, who are used and abused by businesses.

I get his point, i wouldnt have chosen to do it that way.

I get your point about how he said it could be taken badly.

gabosaurus
04-22-2008, 12:05 AM
Martin, who is this April chick you are in love with?

actsnoblemartin
04-22-2008, 12:18 AM
how do in april come up? :laugh2:

april is my best friend in the whole wide world, she lives in texas, and i love her to pieces, she is the princess, and imthe donkey

thank you for asking :salute:

Martin, who is this April chick you are in love with?

DragonStryk72
04-22-2008, 12:24 AM
no, because its a lie.

gabs, i like ya... but what do you want israel to do.

sit there and do nothing while rockets fly into israel?

sit there and do nothing while palestinian terrorists kill jews?

what do you really want israelies to do?

Actually, I think she's stating something completely different. Your dander just got up about her comment, because you felt you'd been slapped by it, which, really, is the same thing here. He didn't make any specification on who precisely he was talking about, so Mexicans in general are likely not happy with him right now.

I would almost feel bad for him if it wasn't clear that he had thought the insult out ahead of time, having looked up terms for it, cause he is just gonna catch heaps of shit for this one.

I do think, though, that we should stop holding Israel back, but then, I think we shouldn't keep screwing around over there period.