PDA

View Full Version : Alfredo

darin
02-27-2007, 02:46 PM
I'm tellin' ya. Seriously - One of the great keys to a good life is making good alfredo.

I can't see ever going to store-purchased-box-can-whatever-type alfredo anymore.

Last night my wife prepared Alfredo noodles + Shrimp.

Life-Changing. wow. Good job, Mary! :)

That is all.

Nienna
02-27-2007, 03:13 PM
butter, cream, parmesan, salt, pepper, nutmeg?

darin
02-27-2007, 03:15 PM
No nutmeg - will try that next time :)

Butter, Creme, Par-Mee-Zee-in (Fresh grated), Kosher Salt, Fresh Ground Pepper... :)

Nienna
02-27-2007, 03:20 PM

Butter, Creme, Par-Mee-Zee-in (Fresh grated), Kosher Salt, Fresh Ground Pepper... :)

nutmeg is pretty good in it, but I have never tried fresh pepper. I really need a pepper grinder. :)

darin
02-27-2007, 03:24 PM
but I have never tried fresh pepper. I really need a pepper grinder.

:lame2: :lame2: :gay: :gay: :cuckoo: :cuckoo: :talk2hand: :bang3: :bang3: :bang3:

Nienna
02-27-2007, 03:25 PM
:lame2: :lame2: :gay: :gay: :cuckoo: :cuckoo: :talk2hand: :bang3: :bang3: :bang3:

So... you think it's better without the fresh pepper?

darin
02-27-2007, 03:28 PM
So... you think it's better with the fresh pepper?

Yes. Fresh Pepper makes Most things Better. It's almost as versatile as Trader Joe's Pepper Sauce. :)

-Cp
02-27-2007, 03:40 PM
Red Pepper flake is also great in Alfredo...

Also - once you go to Fresh Parmesan, you'll never go back to the canned stuff or the shredded stuff in those large bags..

jimnyc
02-27-2007, 03:42 PM
Mmmmmmm.... love Alfredo! Tell Mary to send me some!

Abbey Marie
02-27-2007, 03:43 PM
Red Pepper flake is also great in Alfredo...

Also - once you go to Fresh Parmesan, you'll never go back to the canned stuff or the shredded stuff in those large bags..

I can remember my Mom grating hunks of parmesan cheese in this green metal grater that was so big she had to clamp it to a table to use. So good.

Have you tried Pecorino Romano? Yummmmmm!

darin
02-27-2007, 03:53 PM
Alfredo Sauce is Good on Darin, too ;)

:D

darin
02-27-2007, 03:53 PM

:D It'd spoil by the time it got there :(

The ClayTaurus
02-27-2007, 04:00 PM
Alfredo Sauce is Good on Darin, too ;)

:D:puke3: :puke:

5stringJeff
02-27-2007, 04:09 PM
My wife is allergic. She had some pasta with alfredo sauce on the night I proposed to her. She said yes and spent the next 12 hours on the throne.

darin
02-27-2007, 04:12 PM
My wife is allergic. She had some pasta with alfredo sauce on the night I proposed to her. She said yes and spent the next 12 hours on the throne.

Are you sure you have the right cause-and-effect, Brother? ;)

Mr. P
02-27-2007, 04:24 PM
nutmeg is pretty good in it, but I have never tried fresh pepper. I really need a pepper grinder. :)

You should and they're cheap, but not so fast, these days you can buy peppercorns in a container with a grinder as part of the lid in the spice section.

5stringJeff
02-27-2007, 04:32 PM
Are you sure you have the right cause-and-effect, Brother? ;)

If I had caused it, she'd have been doing this: :puke3: and not doing this: :poop:

Nienna
02-27-2007, 04:35 PM
You should and they're cheap, but not so fast, these days you can buy peppercorns in a container with a grinder as part of the lid in the spice section.

Great suggestion, Mr P! I will do that! :)

jackass
02-27-2007, 06:48 PM

Jim likes anything wet, warm and white!

5stringJeff
02-27-2007, 06:49 PM
Jim likes anything wet, warm and white!

:lmao:

Yurt
02-27-2007, 09:17 PM

How exactly and what exactly comprimizes this sumptious sounding alfredo. Tried some recipe from online once, yuck. Please help.

shattered
02-27-2007, 09:43 PM
Go reeeeeeeally easy on the nutmeg, tho.. Especially if you're grating yours fresh. It can be really overpowering..

And..fresh ground black pepper is a MUST in EVERYTHING.

shattered
02-27-2007, 09:45 PM
Oh, and for those that don't want to spend $20 on a pepper mill (I won't show you mine for $125 - *grin*), McCormick makes spice blends grinders... They're less than $3.00 a bottle, and has a built in grinder, and comes in a variety of different spices.

Yurt
02-27-2007, 09:50 PM
Oh, and for those that don't want to spend $20 on a pepper mill (I won't show you mine for $125 - *grin*), McCormick makes spice blends grinders... They're less than $3.00 a bottle, and has a built in grinder, and comes in a variety of different spices.

125? Pray tell what kind and where. Must see, must own. My costco one is cool, but must keep up with the "shattereds" :laugh2: Seriously I want to see it. Mine has a hard time adjusting grinding levels.

shattered
02-27-2007, 09:54 PM
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/cw263/index.cfm?pkey=xsrd0m1%7C15%7C%7C%7C0%7C%7C%7C%7C% 7C%7C%7Cpepper%20mill&cm%5Fsrc=SCH

WS is my beeeeeest friend...

Mr. P
02-27-2007, 10:05 PM

$20 :eek: you don't need to spend that much!

http://www.amazon.com/s.html/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_k2k_1/104-4891381-8595959?ie=UTF8&keywords=pepper%20mill&index=blended

shattered
02-27-2007, 10:11 PM
$20 :eek: you don't need to spend that much!

http://www.amazon.com/s.html/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_k2k_1/104-4891381-8595959?ie=UTF8&keywords=pepper%20mill&index=blended

I don't need to spend $44 on 2 lousy cake pans, either, but I do.. Quality, m'dear.

Mr. P
02-27-2007, 10:21 PM
I don't need to spend $44 on 2 lousy cake pans, either, but I do.. Quality, m'dear.

Quality is good but can be had a lesser price. :slap:

shattered
02-27-2007, 10:23 PM

Hey, I still have most of my life ahead of me.. My motto? Buy it once, and only once whenever possible. I'm cheap. :D

Mr. P
02-27-2007, 10:37 PM
Hey, I still have most of my life ahead of me.. My motto? Buy it once, and only once whenever possible. I'm cheap. :D

I agree, I have a pepper mill I bought for less than $10 that is more than 25 years old and works just fine. If it breaks I'll spend another $10 for another 25 year mill. Still $100 less yours. :poke:

shattered
02-27-2007, 10:39 PM
I agree, I have a pepper mill I bought for less than $10 that is more than 25 years old and works just fine. If it breaks I'll spend another $10 for another 25 year mill. Still $100 less yours. :poke:

Ahh, but in MOST cases, things aren't made the way they were 25+ years ago.

I still have 2 WearEver Cookie Shooters (those green and white ones) from the 1970's. They work like a dream to this day, and kick the CRAP out of anything on the market WITHIN the last 20 years.

Yurt
02-27-2007, 10:42 PM

the pepper mill features a case-hardened steel mechanism that cracks the peppercorns before grinding.

Now that is cool. That would give an even grind, something my $20 grinder/shaker cannot. It makes a huge difference in pepper cooking because those big chunky peppers are like glass in your stomach. I was told to use no pepper, or only white ground pepper or NO pepper. I said what about "fine" ground pepper. Well black is bad. But I said if it is as finely ground as white.... Ah, still bad.

So I bad a grinder from costco that does pretty good, but still, kinda chunky and to set the grind level is virtually worthless. So to some of us, this kind of thing is welcome. Sure, I could cut out pepper all the way, but I only need to cut out larger chunks of pepper, not all.

shattered
02-27-2007, 10:43 PM
Now that is cool. That would give an even grind, something my $20 grinder/shaker cannot. It makes a huge difference in pepper cooking because those big chunky peppers are like glass in your stomach. I was told to use no pepper, or only white ground pepper or NO pepper. I said what about "fine" ground pepper. Well black is bad. But I said if it is as finely ground as white.... Ah, still bad.

So I bad a grinder from costco that does pretty good, but still, kinda chunky and to set the grind level is virtually worthless. So to some of us, this kind of thing is welcome. Sure, I could cut out pepper all the way, but I only need to cut out larger chunks of pepper, not all.

You might want to try the McCormick ones I was talking about earlier, then.. It's a pretty fine grind.. Not adjustable, but no huge chunks either..

Mr. P
02-27-2007, 10:45 PM

Mine will grind finer than what you get from a can. I guess ya just gotta find the right one.

Yurt
02-27-2007, 10:47 PM
Ahh, but in MOST cases, things aren't made the way they were 25+ years ago.

I still have 2 WearEver Cookie Shooters (those green and white ones) from the 1970's. They work like a dream to this day, and kick the CRAP out of anything on the market WITHIN the last 20 years.

That is true, most of my hand me downs are better than my modern crap. Unless we are talking about my dream DMP knives, (can't find the thread, but he posted something about knives and I want those knives, seem better than cutco), I buy stuff on the cheap. And pay for it, later, and again, later.

Yurt
02-27-2007, 10:48 PM
You might want to try the McCormick ones I was talking about earlier, then.. It's a pretty fine grind.. Not adjustable, but no huge chunks either..

Did, that is why I have costco grinds, oh, and threw out the one my brother bought me. Fancy, but too chunky.

Yurt
02-27-2007, 10:50 PM
Mine will grind finer than what you get from a can. I guess ya just gotta find the right one.

Can? Who said anything about can?

shattered
02-27-2007, 10:52 PM
That is true, most of my hand me downs are better than my modern crap. Unless we are talking about my dream DMP knives, (can't find the thread, but he posted something about knives and I want those knives, seem better than cutco), I buy stuff on the cheap. And pay for it, later, and again, later.

These are what I have, and I LOVE them.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/sku816967/index.cfm?pkey=xsrd0m1%7C15%7C%7C%7C0%7C%7C%7C%7C% 7C%7C%7Chenckels&cm%5Fsrc=SCH

I wouldn't recommend buying any knives as a set, tho.. You end up with two much crap you don't need. I bought mine individually, and then bought a block based on the knives I bought..

Henckels makes a LOT of different knives, and different quality. I just like the Professional S series because of the way it fits in my hand, and the way it feels.

Mr. P
02-27-2007, 10:56 PM
Can? Who said anything about can?

Just comparing the fine grind of whats in a can to chunks.

Mr. P
02-27-2007, 11:01 PM
These are what I have, and I LOVE them.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/sku816967/index.cfm?pkey=xsrd0m1%7C15%7C%7C%7C0%7C%7C%7C%7C% 7C%7C%7Chenckels&cm%5Fsrc=SCH

I wouldn't recommend buying any knives as a set, tho.. You end up with two much crap you don't need. I bought mine individually, and then bought a block based on the knives I bought..

Henckels makes a LOT of different knives, and different quality. I just like the Professional S series because of the way it fits in my hand, and the way it feels.
Henckels makes a good knife..sets too.. I have a set of 3. Great knives!
I don't like the chef knife as well as a cheaper one I have but it's ok.

shattered
02-27-2007, 11:02 PM
Henckels makes a good knife..sets too.. I have a set of 3. Great knives!
I don't like the chef knife as well as a cheaper one I have but it's ok.

The meat cleaver makes an awesome pizza cutter. :D

Mr. P
02-27-2007, 11:18 PM
The meat cleaver makes an awesome pizza cutter. :D

I have a cleaver (not a Henckel) I very seldom use.

shattered
02-27-2007, 11:19 PM
I have a cleaver (not a Henckel) I very seldom use.

Try it for pizza.. That's about the only use mine gets...

Mr. P
02-27-2007, 11:27 PM
Try it for pizza.. That's about the only use mine gets...

I have a pizza wheel cutter, works great.

The ClayTaurus
02-28-2007, 12:04 AM
I have a pizza wheel cutter, works great.Yeah but a meat clever... oh the stress it relieves!

Mr. P
02-28-2007, 12:40 AM
Yeah but a meat clever... oh the stress it relieves!

Baseball bat works better for me. :laugh2:

The ClayTaurus
02-28-2007, 12:48 AM
Baseball bat works better for me. :laugh2:Destroys the pizza :(

Mr. P
02-28-2007, 12:54 AM
Destroys the pizza :(

Well yeah, but it does a hell of a job on the stress too.

EDIT: and it makes it easy for me to chew too.

KitchenKitten99
02-28-2007, 11:07 AM

i got that one AND the seasalt grinder. I like the pepper grinder because I have a hard time with pre-ground pepper coming out too fast or not enough in regular shakers. The grinder I feel like I have more control over the amount.

I have an alfredo recipe that I took from a recipe book and tweaked it, so that when you save it in the fridge, then microwave it the next day, the texture is still consistent and creamy. I make it all the time for my husband's grandma because she likes fast easy foods due to her limited mobilty.

1 16 oz carton whipping cream
1 teaspoon, (more or less to your taste) of McCormick Garlic Salt (use this brand for best consistency and taste), divided.
1/4-1/3 cup grated Kraft parmesan & romano cheese (best blend to use)
1 stick Land O' Lakes premium butter (not margerine)
1 dash pepper if you desire
1 pkg fettucini noodles, brand not important.
Optional grilled/baked chicken breast strips & vegetables

1. Melt butter over very low heat but be careful not to boil. Add whipping cream and gradually increase the heat every 60 seconds while stirring constantly. Start boiling noodles as well.
2. When the mixture reaches 120deg, add 1/4 parmesan and keep stirring, and increasing the heat to bring sauce to a very low boil.
3. Add 1/2 tsp garlic salt, stirring, and if taste is not to your liking, add the other 1/2. This part is up to you. Keep sauce at low boil, stirring constantly, for another 1-2 minutes. Add pepper if you wish. Then turn off heat, but let sit on same burner, uncovered. This will thicken the sauce as noodles cook.
4. Serve immedately, or if storing, combine noodles and sauce and let cool (to help avoid condensation which makes the noodles soggy), then refrigerate or freeze.

I know some would question the use of pre-grated cheese, but it seems to help thicken the sauce and adds a little more salt to flavor, and the consistency when re-heated is better than if you use the fresh stuff, which I have tried. It tastes just fine, but the consistency is a little off.

Mr. P
02-28-2007, 11:40 AM
i got that one AND the seasalt grinder. I like the pepper grinder because I have a hard time with pre-ground pepper coming out too fast or not enough in regular shakers. The grinder I feel like I have more control over the amount.

I have an alfredo recipe that I took from a recipe book and tweaked it, so that when you save it in the fridge, then microwave it the next day, the texture is still consistent and creamy. I make it all the time for my husband's grandma because she likes fast easy foods due to her limited mobilty.

1 16 oz carton whipping cream
1 teaspoon, (more or less to your taste) of McCormick Garlic Salt (use this brand for best consistency and taste), divided.
1/4-1/3 cup grated Kraft parmesan & romano cheese (best blend to use)
1 stick Land O' Lakes premium butter (not margerine)
1 dash pepper if you desire
1 pkg fettucini noodles, brand not important.
Optional grilled/baked chicken breast strips & vegetables

1. Melt butter over very low heat but be careful not to boil. Add whipping cream and gradually increase the heat every 60 seconds while stirring constantly. Start boiling noodles as well.
2. When the mixture reaches 120deg, add 1/4 parmesan and keep stirring, and increasing the heat to bring sauce to a very low boil.
3. Add 1/2 tsp garlic salt, stirring, and if taste is not to your liking, add the other 1/2. This part is up to you. Keep sauce at low boil, stirring constantly, for another 1-2 minutes. Add pepper if you wish. Then turn off heat, but let sit on same burner, uncovered. This will thicken the sauce as noodles cook.
4. Serve immedately, or if storing, combine noodles and sauce and let cool (to help avoid condensation which makes the noodles soggy), then refrigerate or freeze.

I know some would question the use of pre-grated cheese, but it seems to help thicken the sauce and adds a little more salt to flavor, and the consistency when re-heated is better than if you use the fresh stuff, which I have tried. It tastes just fine, but the consistency is a little off.

No, it's the whole stick of butter and whipping cream that does that. :slap:

KitchenKitten99
02-28-2007, 11:51 AM
No, it's the whole stick of butter and whipping cream that does that. :slap:

That is a part of it, but i have used fresh cheeses and it didn't get quite as thick as when I used the pre-grated stuff. If I use fresh cheeses, i have had to add a little cornstarch to thicken it up. But I only do this if I know there won't be leftovers.