PDA

View Full Version : With Gas Hitting Record Highs, Drivers Feeling Squeezed

Pale Rider
04-22-2008, 11:12 AM
With Gas Hitting Record Highs, Drivers Feeling Squeezed

2008-04-22 05:57:39
By ADAM SCHRECK AP Business Writer

NEW YORK (AP) — Cabbies here complain their take-home pay is thinner than it used to be. Trucking companies across the country are making drivers slow down to conserve fuel. Filling station owners plead that really, really, the skyrocketing prices aren't their fault.

And the rest of us? With gas prices now averaging $3.50 a gallon nationwide, according to AAA and the Oil Price Information Service, more and more Americans who have to drive are weighing the need for each and every trip.

"To get to the doctors and all that, it's an awful lot of money," said Carol Licata, a 75-year-old retiree from Arnold, Pa., who said a larger portion of her fixed income is now going toward gas. "I don't drive that often, but have to take necessary trips ... and (gas) takes a big chunk out of our budget."

Some would-be drivers are considering less energy-dependent alternatives simply for money's sake.

In Los Angeles, for example, fiction writer Brian Edwards sold his gas-guzzling Ford truck and now relies on his skateboard or the bus to get around. Sharon Cooper of Chicago, meanwhile, said she is planning to buy a bicycle to use on her 2 1/2-mile commute to work.

And everyone, it seems, is more than willing to join in the griping.

Story continues here... (http://charter.net/news/news_reader.php?storyid=14571312&feedid=14)

red states rule
04-22-2008, 11:14 AM
With Gas Hitting Record Highs, Drivers Feeling Squeezed

2008-04-22 05:57:39
By ADAM SCHRECK AP Business Writer

NEW YORK (AP) — Cabbies here complain their take-home pay is thinner than it used to be. Trucking companies across the country are making drivers slow down to conserve fuel. Filling station owners plead that really, really, the skyrocketing prices aren't their fault.

And the rest of us? With gas prices now averaging $3.50 a gallon nationwide, according to AAA and the Oil Price Information Service, more and more Americans who have to drive are weighing the need for each and every trip.

"To get to the doctors and all that, it's an awful lot of money," said Carol Licata, a 75-year-old retiree from Arnold, Pa., who said a larger portion of her fixed income is now going toward gas. "I don't drive that often, but have to take necessary trips ... and (gas) takes a big chunk out of our budget."

Some would-be drivers are considering less energy-dependent alternatives simply for money's sake.

In Los Angeles, for example, fiction writer Brian Edwards sold his gas-guzzling Ford truck and now relies on his skateboard or the bus to get around. Sharon Cooper of Chicago, meanwhile, said she is planning to buy a bicycle to use on her 2 1/2-mile commute to work.

And everyone, it seems, is more than willing to join in the griping.

Story continues here... (http://charter.net/news/news_reader.php?storyid=14571312&feedid=14)

Thnak you Sen Reid, Speaker Pelosi, Al Gore, and all you enviro wackos for causing gas prices to to skyrocket

What is the Dmes answer to lower oil from $108.00/bbl?

Use cheaper barrels?

Pale Rider
04-22-2008, 11:23 AM
Thnak you Sen Reid, Speaker Pelosi, Al Gore, and all you enviro wackos for causing gas prices to to skyrocket

Use cheaper barrels?

Try $117+ a barrel, and it'll get worse before it gets better. Far worse. This country is in for a real hard time. Glad I have my Harley. It gets 50 miles to the gallon highway.

Not long ago Kathy posted an article about one of the largest oil finds in the history of the world, like the third largest oil field of all time, under the Dakotas... wonder why we don't hear anything more about that?

Hobbit
04-22-2008, 11:24 AM

Use cheaper barrels?

By changing the size of the barrels, duh. Really, I've heard of them doing crap like that before, renaming things to pretend they're not so bad. If they redefine a barrel to be half the size it is now, it'll cost half as much...but gas will still be expensive.

red states rule
04-22-2008, 11:26 AM
Try $117+ a barrel, and it'll get worse before it gets better. Far worse. This country is in for a real hard time. Glad I have my Harley. It gets 50 miles to the gallon highway.

Not long ago Kathy posted an article about one of the largest oil finds in the history of the world, like the third largest oil field of all time, under the Dakotas... wonder why we don't hear anything more about that?

My Echo get 40 miles per gallon

red states rule
04-22-2008, 11:28 AM
By changing the size of the barrels, duh. Really, I've heard of them doing crap like that before, renaming things to pretend they're not so bad. If they redefine a barrel to be half the size it is now, it'll cost half as much...but gas will still be expensive.

That and demand we all drive little golf carts with bucket seats

Meanwhile Al Gore, Reid, and Pelosi still rides in his private jets and limos

and raising taxes on the oil comapnies to pay them back for making a profit, and try to jack up the gas tax to make us conserve

Pale Rider
04-22-2008, 11:31 AM
My Echo get 40 miles per gallon

Here ya go....

BLACK-GOLD BLUES

Billions of gallons of oil in North Dakota, Montana
Geological Survey calls find largest reserves outside Alaska

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: April 13, 2008
10:31 pm Eastern

By Jerome R. Corsi
© 2008 WorldNetDaily

A shale formation stretching North Dakota and Montana may have an estimated 3 to 4.3 billion barrels of technically recoverable oil, according to a U.S. Geological Survey assessment.

Known as the Bakken Formation, the find would make the recoverable oil in North Dakota and Montana the largest U.S. oil reserves outside Alaska.

More here... (http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=61488)

mundame
04-22-2008, 11:31 AM

Last price I heard was $117+ per barrel. It's moving up so fast it's hard to keep track, I realize. http://www.jammerbabe.com/flotilla/images/smilies/sigh.gif

red states rule
04-22-2008, 11:32 AM
[quote=red states rule;234727]
quote]

Last price I heard was $117+ per barrel. It's moving up so fast it's hard to keep track, I realize. http://www.jammerbabe.com/flotilla/images/smilies/sigh.gif

I was wrong. After all, I am to busy being bitter to keep up with the current price of oil :laugh2:

red states rule
04-22-2008, 11:34 AM
Here ya go....

BLACK-GOLD BLUES

Billions of gallons of oil in North Dakota, Montana
Geological Survey calls find largest reserves outside Alaska

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: April 13, 2008
10:31 pm Eastern

By Jerome R. Corsi
© 2008 WorldNetDaily

A shale formation stretching North Dakota and Montana may have an estimated 3 to 4.3 billion barrels of technically recoverable oil, according to a U.S. Geological Survey assessment.

Known as the Bakken Formation, the find would make the recoverable oil in North Dakota and Montana the largest U.S. oil reserves outside Alaska.

More here... (http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=61488)

Pale, we can't go for that oil. We might have to knock over an ant hill, or disturb some deer who want to make little deers

jff.law
04-22-2008, 11:42 AM
GW can't really have any effect on the price of gasoline at the pump. We live in a free market, and we have been paying less then the rest of the world for decades. The real problem is we no longer have any real production in this country because of the environmental movement here, and our dependence on forign production. Its a reality we have to get used to. Green energy is a long ways off, US production too. I don't think we will ever see $1.25 gallons of gasoline again.

mundame
04-22-2008, 11:43 AM
Oil hits record high (http://www.reuters.com/article/ousiv/idUSSYD3274320080422)

Reuters, 12:26pm ET 4/22/2008

U.S. crude oil prices surged to a record above $119 a barrel, compounding fears about the toll of higher energy costs on the economy, company profits and household spending.

Ooops, just saw this: so I was wrong, too, it's even higher now!

Hey, kiddoes, things are seriously not going well.........

Could be trouble coming.

red states rule
04-22-2008, 11:44 AM
GW can't really have any effect on the price of gasoline at the pump. We live in a free market, and we have been paying less then the rest of the world for decades. The real problem is we no longer have any real production in this country because of the environmental movement here, and our dependence on forign production. Its a reality we have to get used to. Green energy is a long ways off, US production too. I don't think we will ever see $1.25 gallons of gasoline again.

If we take the handcuffs off the oil companies, build and expand refineries, you will see the price of oil and gas drop

hjmick
04-22-2008, 11:47 AM
Not for anything, but Al Gore, Harry Reid, and Nancy pelosi have about as much effect on the price of oil and gasoline as does George Bush. Which is to say none whatsoever.

red states rule
04-22-2008, 11:49 AM
Not for anything, but Al Gore, Harry Reid, and Nancy pelosi have about as much effect on the price of oil and gasoline as does George Bush. Which is to say none whatsoever.

They are the ones who block all attemtps to explore, find, drill, and pump the oil. They block all attemopts to exapnd and build new refineries

If they had not blocked drilling in AWAR, the oil might be flowing form there right now

glockmail
04-22-2008, 11:51 AM
Here ya go....

... Looks like we're already taken out 3 to 4% of it. "By the end of 2007, approximately 105 million barrels of oil had been produced from the Bakken Formation."

red states rule
04-22-2008, 12:25 PM
More liberal media bullshit - this time from ABC

ABC's Bianna Golodryga: High Gas Prices Equals No Church or Breakfast?
By Scott Whitlock | April 22, 2008 - 11:29 ET

Tuesday's "Good Morning America" went into hyperbole meltdown over high gas prices. According to various anchors and reporters, Americans are foregoing church, prescription drugs and breakfast in order to cope. In a tease at the show's open, Co-host Diane Sawyer fretted, "As gas prices balloon, 12 cents in just one week, some Americans tell you how they skip breakfast and drugs just to drive." News anchor Chris Cuomo solemnly informed viewers of the "tough choice" many Americans face: "Food or fuel?"

Cuomo then introduced reporter Bianna Golodryga to explain "the sacrifices people are now making." Included in those sacrifices was one Juan Martinez who told Golodryga "Our church is approximately 35, 40 miles away. We've really cut down on the amount of times that we've come into service since the price has gone up." Now, as Golodryga admitted, this clip was actually from November of 2007, during a previous GMA segment about gas prices causing people to skip church and possibly cancel Christmas. So, ABC has resorted to recycling gas horror stories? Could that mean, perhaps, there's not enough of them to go around?

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/scott-whitlock/2008/04/22/abc-high-gas-prices-mean-no-more-god-drugs-breakfast

hjmick
04-22-2008, 12:32 PM
They are the ones who block all attemtps to explore, find, drill, and pump the oil. They block all attemopts to exapnd and build new refineries

If they had not blocked drilling in AWAR, the oil might be flowing form there right now

As much to blame is the environmental lobby. Not to mention the eight Republicans, including John McCain, who crossed the aisle in '05 and voted against drilling in ANWAR. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for drilling ANWAR, even with the questions about how much is actually there. I think it can be done and done safely. I will say the same for drilling offshore. Though the offshore issue tends to lie more with the states than the feds.

As for new refineries, blame both the environmental groups and the oil companies themselves. The sad truth is, the cost of building a refinery to meet today's pollution standards is not conducive to profits, which we all know is the bottom line for these gargantuan corporations.

red states rule
04-22-2008, 12:35 PM
As much to blame is the environmental lobby. Not to mention the eight Republicans, including John McCain, who crossed the aisle in '05 and voted against drilling in ANWAR. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for drilling ANWAR, even with the questions about how much is actually there. I think it can be done and done safely. I will say the same for drilling offshore. Though the offshore issue tends to lie more with the states than the feds.

As for new refineries, blame both the environmental groups and the oil companies themselves. The sad truth is, the cost of building a refinery to meet today's pollution standards is not conducive to profits, which we all know is the bottom line for these gargantuan corporations.

You are correct - both libs and RINO's are to blame

As far as the refineries, yes oil companies have been hadcuffed with BS regulations. I know some belive US corporations are out to poision the war, the air, and kill people - then ask us to buy their product