PDA

View Full Version : Hmm I found this rather interesting regarding home schooling

Trinity
04-22-2008, 01:55 PM
I took my youngest for his Math Assessment test today. I had to drive about 40 minutes to get there and we had to wait out in the hallway while the kid's took their tests.

What I found odd was after I started talking to these other parent's I discovered that every single child that was there today has some type of issue whether it was ADHD, bipolar, OCD, tourettes they all had been diagnosed with something.

Every one of them had extensive testing, no thanks to the schools, but after the parent stepped in and said I am home schooling and we will figure out what is going on with him/her. Wow what are the odds of that. Been there, done that.

It kinda pisses me off that these kids are being looked at as problem children, when in fact it is actually some type of underlying condition. Obviously these schools don't want to deal with these kids that may need a different learning atmosphere, or special help in some cases. Funny thing is that most of these kids there today, were straight A students. If they weren't straight A they were A,B students. Oh yeah and since Jesse got pulled from school and started home schooling his grades improved drastically!

Now here comes the fun part......... My youngest wants to go back to school next year, he will be at the intermediate instead of the elementary. However this time I will have a full arsenal to deal with this school. Psychological testing, Therapist report, Sensory testing and a Psychiatrist report. I will be taking him the first day, and my arsenal, and god help them if they give him or me any shit!

manu1959
04-22-2008, 03:15 PM
I took my youngest for his Math Assessment test today. I had to drive about 40 minutes to get there and we had to wait out in the hallway while the kid's took their tests.

What I found odd was after I started talking to these other parent's I discovered that every single child that was there today has some type of issue whether it was ADHD, bipolar, OCD, tourettes they all had been diagnosed with something.

Every one of them had extensive testing, no thanks to the schools, but after the parent stepped in and said I am home schooling and we will figure out what is going on with him/her. Wow what are the odds of that. Been there, done that.

It kinda pisses me off that these kids are being looked at as problem children, when in fact it is actually some type of underlying condition. Obviously these schools don't want to deal with these kids that may need a different learning atmosphere, or special help in some cases. Funny thing is that most of these kids there today, were straight A students. If they weren't straight A they were A,B students. Oh yeah and since Jesse got pulled from school and started home schooling his grades improved drastically!

Now here comes the fun part......... My youngest wants to go back to school next year, he will be at the intermediate instead of the elementary. However this time I will have a full arsenal to deal with this school. Psychological testing, Therapist report, Sensory testing and a Psychiatrist report. I will be taking him the first day, and my arsenal, and god help them if they give him or me any shit!

if the school tells you your kid is an alphabet kid they have to pay for it.....if you figure it out ... you get to pay for it.....that is why they tell you they are "problem kids" it is code......

Trinity
04-22-2008, 04:02 PM
if the school tells you your kid is an alphabet kid they have to pay for it.....if you figure it out ... you get to pay for it.....that is why they tell you they are "problem kids" it is code......

:laugh2: an alphabet kid.....never heard it put quite that way before.

Trigg
04-22-2008, 04:20 PM

Sadly, many teachers don't want to deal with problem kids.

I feel fortunate that my 10yr old finally got a teacher this year who is willing to work with him.

My son doesn't have a learning disorder, he is simply VERY shy and he covers this my acting up. When he gets in trouble he refuses to talk, and before this year that got him sent to the principal, where he would feel even more intimidated and he wouldn't even look up.

Trinity
04-22-2008, 04:33 PM
Sadly, many teachers don't want to deal with problem kids.

I feel fortunate that my 10yr old finally got a teacher this year who is willing to work with him.

My son doesn't have a learning disorder, he is simply VERY shy and he covers this my acting up. When he gets in trouble he refuses to talk, and before this year that got him sent to the principal, where he would feel even more intimidated and he wouldn't even look up.

Unfortunately that seems to be the case, some teachers just don't want to deal with it. However the beauty of all of these evaluations Jesse is having done, for me anyway, means they won't have a choice they will have to deal with it.

Jesse is very shy also and does the same kind of thing puts his head down and won't talk when spoken to.

Trigg
04-22-2008, 04:41 PM
Unfortunately that seems to be the case, some teachers just don't want to deal with it. However the beauty of all of these evaluations Jesse is having done, for me anyway, means they won't have a choice they will have to deal with it.

Jesse is very shy also and does the same kind of thing puts his head down and won't talk when spoken to.

I strongly suggest, if at all possible at your school, requesting younger teachers or a male teacher. I think more men should teach in the younger grades, they just understand little boys better, IMO.

They always wanted to make him sit during recess. They ignored me when I said he needs to work off the energy. I support separating him from the other kids as punishment, but make him walk around the playground, jumping jacks, something so that he isn't full of energy the entire day.

Up until this yr my son had older female teachers and they simply didn't want to deal with him. Even though my husband and I were willing to work with them, I know he can be difficult at times. I've requested, the only, male teacher at the elementary for his 5th grade yr. My daughter had him last yr and loved him.

Kathianne
04-22-2008, 06:14 PM

Trinity, I think any parent able that homeschools their child, underlying conditions or not is doing the best thing possible. It's a hell of a lot of work, but the rewards are enormous.

Schools, rather teachers, cannot give the help that you are talking about. An ADHD child, bi-polar, learning disabled, asperbergers, will not receive the help, even with a one-on-one aid, that a single, qualified teacher can-in this case the parent, whether on not officially credentialed. So many of these children are above average regarding potential, but so disruptive in a class of 18 or more students.

I have roughly 60 students daily, at least 8 of them would be so much better off if their parents pulled them from our school and home schooled them. In all honesty, only 1 would be better off in public school rather than current placement.

Trinity
04-22-2008, 08:14 PM
Trinity, I think any parent able that homeschools their child, underlying conditions or not is doing the best thing possible. It's a hell of a lot of work, but the rewards are enormous.

Schools, rather teachers, cannot give the help that you are talking about. An ADHD child, bi-polar, learning disabled, asperbergers, will not receive the help, even with a one-on-one aid, that a single, qualified teacher can-in this case the parent, whether on not officially credentialed. So many of these children are above average regarding potential, but so disruptive in a class of 18 or more students.

I have roughly 60 students daily, at least 8 of them would be so much better off if their parents pulled them from our school and home schooled them. In all honesty, only 1 would be better off in public school rather than current placement.

Ok kathianne I value your opinion on this....Jesse wants to go back to school. If he goes back with a 504 and an IEP will that benefit him or not?

Kathianne
04-22-2008, 08:21 PM
Ok kathianne I value your opinion on this....Jesse wants to go back to school. If he goes back with a 504 and an IEP will that benefit him or not?

I'd say that as far as schooling goes, he's better off with you. My guess is he's looking at the social aspects, which can be accommodated for. There are pros and cons with either choice, but seems to me more for homeschooling. It's just my opinion. I do know that even with a one-on-one aid, inclusion is not the same as homeschooling for results.

gabosaurus
04-22-2008, 09:11 PM
Trinity, allow me to ask you a question. A reasonable one, considering how much you obviously care for your son.

How qualified are you to deal with your son's specific mental and physical conditions? Would you be able to adapt specific learning situations into each condition as it manifested?

In pretty much every case I have known of where a parent has attempted to home school a child with special needs, they have not lasted more than a few years.
How could you adapt this with the needs of providing financially for your family? If you attempt to do both, would you be shortchanging your relationship with the rest of your family?

To become a regular counselor, I had to complete six years of training. Special needs counselors complete a minimum of 10 years. Do you have 10 years of training?

Trinity, I know you love your kid. All special needs parents love their kids far beyond the normal level.
If you love your kid, allow trained instructors and staff to regulate their process. Without interference.

Kathianne
04-23-2008, 05:03 AM

Trinity, allow me to ask you a question. A reasonable one, considering how much you obviously care for your son.

How qualified are you to deal with your son's specific mental and physical conditions? Would you be able to adapt specific learning situations into each condition as it manifested?

In pretty much every case I have known of where a parent has attempted to home school a child with special needs, they have not lasted more than a few years.
How could you adapt this with the needs of providing financially for your family? If you attempt to do both, would you be shortchanging your relationship with the rest of your family?

To become a regular counselor, I had to complete six years of training. Special needs counselors complete a minimum of 10 years. Do you have 10 years of training?

Trinity, I know you love your kid. All special needs parents love their kids far beyond the normal level.
If you love your kid, allow trained instructors and staff to regulate their process. Without interference.

LOL! That's right, turn your child over to the 'teachers' and get out of the way. Great advice, can't wait for you to practice that in 5-6 years.

Trinity
04-23-2008, 06:08 AM

Well seeing at this point I am in school full time online, I work a part time job in the mornings about 3 days a week, I am getting ready to start a full time job on Monday Which will put me working 5:00pm till 1:30am at the hospital. I have my father here 24/7 and my husband in the evenings. Jesse is not being short changed trust me. He is actually doing much better now then he was when he was going to school.

As for Physical conditions there are none. He has no physical limitations what so ever quite the opposite actually. This is the child who was riding a two wheel bicycle a week after he turned 3. This is also the same child that potty trained himself around the age of 2.

As for experience hmm well I have a 21 year old daughter, a 19 year old son, a 11 year old son, and Jesse who will be 10 soon. I have been dealing with him since birth so yeah I guess you could say I do have 10 years of experience dealing with him. I know what works and what doesn't work with him.

That's odd that you are telling me to let trained staff and instructors regulate their process without interference. I got quite the opposite from Jesse's therapist. She actually thinks the parent's should be involved in everything that is going on, and who knows this child better then I do? no one.

Said1
04-23-2008, 06:12 PM
That's odd that you are telling me to let trained staff and instructors regulate their process without interference. I got quite the opposite from Jesse's therapist. She actually thinks the parent's should be involved in everything that is going on, and who knows this child better then I do? no one.

Haha. Let the childless student tell you what to do. :laugh2:

Good LORD. Imagine what our children would be like if we listened to every teacher, doctor, therapist etc, etc and not our own natural instincts - which tend to kick in AFTer giving birth, Gabby. Text book psychology and real life don't often match. If it wasn't for us going mother bear ALL OVER THEIR ASSES, nothing would get done! Sometimes we don't know what wrong, we just know something IS wrong or when something ISN"T working. It's all of our jobs to figure out what it is and what works best. In most cases, leaving your child in the hands of another is pawing them off, IMHO.

Trinity
04-23-2008, 08:15 PM
LOL! That's right, turn your child over to the 'teachers' and get out of the way. Great advice, can't wait for you to practice that in 5-6 years.

and that right there is the reason why I am glad Jesse's therapist got her degree later in life and has children of her own. It's called experience. Experience that you could never possibly learn from a text book.

I am just now working on a psychology degree, could I have done this kind of work when I was younger? Probably, but it would have all been based on text book training and not real life. At this point in my life I can actually apply real life experience's with text book training.

Gabby, I would think if you just finished school you would know that there are no text book cases, every single case is different, no two are alike.

Kathianne
04-23-2008, 08:32 PM
and that right there is the reason why I am glad Jesse's therapist got her degree later in life and has children of her own. It's called experience. Experience that you could never possibly learn from a text book.

I am just now working on a psychology degree, could I have done this kind of work when I was younger? Probably, but it would have all been based on text book training and not real life. At this point in my life I can actually apply real life experience's with text book training.

Gabby, I would think if you just finished school you would know that there are no text book cases, every single case is different, no two are alike.
Nailed.

I began teaching at 38, not 21. Never thought I'd be a teacher, never wanted to. I planned on being a lawyer, but a handsome dude and bad hearing conspired to a different plan. No regrets for the outcome, and somewhere along the way I picked up the cv to be a teacher, a good one.

gabosaurus
04-23-2008, 09:08 PM
Teachers are only that. They teach as their jobs, usually about eight hours a day. They are not intended to be substitutes for parents.
Parents are often too close to their own children to be able to distinguish problems. They tend to believe that they have the answer to anything and everything.

Proves how little you know about the "training" of psychologists and counselors. Classes were only a small part. My "real life training" included a huge amount of work hours in high schools, middle schools, a juvenile detention facility, a juvenile mental hospital, a "special needs" youth care center, a juvenile halfway house, a state facility for battered and abandoned kids and a crisis center.
It's not all "book learning."

Said1
04-23-2008, 09:12 PM
Parents are often too close to their own children to be able to distinguish problems. They tend to believe that they have the answer to anything and everything.

Proves how much you know about parenting.

Proves how little you know about the "training" of psychologists and counselors. Classes were only a small part. My "real life training" included a huge amount of work hours in high schools, middle schools, a juvenile detention facility, a juvenile mental hospital, a "special needs" youth care center, a juvenile halfway house, a state facility for battered and abandoned kids and a crisis center.

You sure sound like a book. :shrug:

Kathianne
04-23-2008, 10:01 PM
Teachers are only that. They teach as their jobs, usually about eight hours a day. They are not intended to be substitutes for parents.

I don't think I've ever seen such a narcissistic post. If I missed one or more, let me know. Gabby, you've won the prize in my book. Damn.

gabosaurus
04-23-2008, 10:02 PM
Cool -- I know as little about parenting as you know about adolescent psychology.

Kathianne
04-23-2008, 10:04 PM
Cool -- I know as little about parenting as you know about adolescent psychology.Problem for you is that I have experience and cv for both, you lose. Yeah, I've a MS. You are a loose cannon. If you will cool your jets, you have potential. At the same time, there is lots to say you will not and explode in public.

Sitarro
04-23-2008, 10:23 PM
Cool -- I know as little about parenting as you know about adolescent psychology.

Is that the "science" of psychology?:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

The common truth is that anyone majoring in Psych is in fact trying to solve their own problems and it doesn't usually help. I know a Psychologist that got a job in a large city as the Head of a Psychiatric hospital...... to say she is in dire need of a real shrink is an understatement. She is clueless.

gabosaurus
04-23-2008, 10:33 PM
Kathianne, I was replying to Trinity's post and not yours. I am well aware of your advanced degrees and experience and would never seek to demean either.

As for my "narcissistic post," it was in response to Trinity's contention that all younger people have to fall back on is "textbook learning." I have been placed in a lot of different learning situations, and have benefited from all of them.

Trinity
04-24-2008, 05:55 AM
Kathianne, I was replying to Trinity's post and not yours. I am well aware of your advanced degrees and experience and would never seek to demean either.

As for my "narcissistic post," it was in response to Trinity's contention that all younger people have to fall back on is "textbook learning." I have been placed in a lot of different learning situations, and have benefited from all of them.

Here's another learning experience for you.......... it is NOT a good idea to tell the mother of a child she is trying to help, that she needs to not interfere and let others take control of her child. That will most likely always you get you a negative response from the mother.

Trinity
04-24-2008, 06:09 AM

The common truth is that anyone majoring in Psych is in fact trying to solve their own problems and it doesn't usually help. I know a Psychologist that got a job in a large city as the Head of a Psychiatric hospital...... to say she is in dire need of a real shrink is an understatement. She is clueless.

Hey now, I don' have any issues:poke:...... well ok maybe I do........... but I am not in to the whole self diagnosis thing. I think I function better then most people I know, I am always the one they call when they have problems.

As for being a Psychologist no..... I am actually getting into marriage and family counseling. I want to be a therapist not a DR. when I grow up. And it only took me 37 years to figure out what I wanted to be when I grew up :laugh2:

Sitarro
04-24-2008, 10:26 PM
Hey now, I don' have any issues:poke:...... well ok maybe I do........... but I am not in to the whole self diagnosis thing. I think I function better then most people I know, I am always the one they call when they have problems.

As for being a Psychologist no..... I am actually getting into marriage and family counseling. I want to be a therapist not a DR. when I grow up. And it only took me 37 years to figure out what I wanted to be when I grew up :laugh2:

I'm guessing you would be an exception to the rule, you have actual "street" smarts, being a mother, to go with book smarts.:clap:

Kathianne
04-24-2008, 10:43 PM

I'm confused, is Gab's Masters in social work or psychology?

Sitarro
04-24-2008, 10:52 PM
I'm confused, is Gab's Masters in social work or psychology?

I don't know, she talks and acts like one.