PDA

View Full Version : Bush causes global rice catastrophe

Yurt
04-24-2008, 08:28 PM
just thought i would put the title the MSM and most of the world is probably thinking....

World food fears mount as rice prices hit record

In the United States, Bush Administration officials downplayed notions of food shortages amid reports of worried buyers stocking up on rice in major chain stores.

"In the U.S., I don't see food shortages," U.S. Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson told Reuters in an interview. "We have plenty of food in the U.S. The price of food has gone up, but again that won't be as significant for the average American as gasoline."

Rice prices hit record highs in Thailand and in electronic trading of Chicago Board of Trade futures during Asian trading hours. This week's 5 percent jump in Thailand rice takes prices to $1,000 a ton, nearly triple their level at the start of the year, intensifying fears of social unrest in Asia.

Rice prices on the CBOT are up about 80 percent this year, hitting a record of more than $25 per hundredweight in Asian trading hours, then retreating in Chicago on profit taking.

Riots have erupted in Africa and Haiti due to the surging price of fuel and food. The International Monetary Fund is in talks with governments in 10 countries, mostly in Africa, about boosting aid to cover soaring food prices, a spokesman said.

"Of course this needs to be determined country by country, but as a general rule we believe that targeted social assistance is the first best policy, but that other temporary measures may be needed and could be used, such as tax on food," IMF spokesman Masood Ahmed said.

"We have also encouraged our members who are food exporters to avoid disruptions to global markets, such as through export restrictions of food and to preserve domestic production incentives," Ahmed added.

At the United Nations, the World Food Program's executive director said the cost of feeding the world's hungry has spiked nearly 40 percent amid spiraling food costs and oil prices,

Unless donor governments can plug the gap, the U.N. food agency will need to trim operations, Josette Sheeran told reporters in New York by video link from WFP headquarters in Rome.

The crisis began last year with India's imposition of export curbs to protect domestic supplies. This week, even the United States felt the reverberations, as major retailers started to notice signs of panic buying.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080424/ts_nm/food_dc

manu1959
04-24-2008, 08:35 PM
asians are to blame......notice chicken wings and bud are all a ok.....

Yurt
04-24-2008, 08:40 PM
has this ever happened before? i don't see exactly why rice has shot up so fast, save for fear and mismanagement

theHawk
04-24-2008, 08:43 PM
Man, there is some really chaotic shit happening around the world. The bow is going to break soon...

glockmail
04-24-2008, 08:51 PM
If we're worried about shortages here, just think about the poor countries. And this is all because of the corn ethanol thing.

Nice move, environuts!

Yurt
04-24-2008, 08:59 PM
Man, there is some really chaotic shit happening around the world. The bow is going to break soon...

i was thinking the same thing.

Dilloduck
04-24-2008, 09:06 PM
I'm blaming southeast asian shrimp farmers and 1.3 billion Chinese. :coffee:

(oops--almost forgot climate change and rice crispie bars)

gabosaurus
04-24-2008, 11:28 PM
I blame the penguins.

04-25-2008, 12:08 AM
I blame environmentalist wackos and stupid politicians. Im seriously thinking about growing some of my own food this summer.

Can you imagine what the food prices are going to be as the summer moves on and the minimum wage increases kick in? Or when people start realizing that we indeed are having a food shortage?

The fact is that people are going to starve this year because of really poorly planned environmental regulation, our lack of energy independence, and the Democrat Congress too stupid to realize their economic policies are making things worse.

What's really messed up here is they will try to blame Bush. When we havent had to deal with these crisis till the Democrats had control. What a surprise.

hjmick
04-25-2008, 12:19 AM
I blame the penguins.

Ease up on the penguins, we all know that bears are the biggest threat to mankind.

04-25-2008, 12:47 AM
Ease up on the penguins, we all know that bears are the biggest threat to mankind.

yeah all that bear flatulence is causing global warming and destroying our planet, among other things.

PostmodernProphet
04-25-2008, 05:12 AM
I blame economics......when oil producers realized they could make more money on less oil by not extracting as much of it from the ground they stopped looking for more oil to extract.......when investors realized they could make more money by trading oil futures and holding them until the price increased they started making money off oil they never produced.......when oil companies realized that they could make more money on less production by not building another expensive refinery they decided not to build a refinery.......when people realized they could make money by building ethanol refineries utilizing surplus grains they started building ethanol refineries......when farmers realized they could make more money growing corn to supply the ethanol refineries than they could growing anything else they started growing corn.....

if it is any consolation to you, you can look forward to not having to blame corn after the current growing season......current ag predictions show that farmers intend to grow approximately 12% less corn this year than last.....price increases show that they will be able to make even MORE money if they grow crops such as soybeans, wheat and rice......

glockmail
04-25-2008, 07:36 AM

i was thinking the same thing. Not to be picky, but it's "bough".

Rock-a-bye baby
on the tree top,
when the wind blows
the cradle will rock,
when the bough breaks
the cradle will fall,
down will come baby,
cradle and all.

Trigg
04-25-2008, 12:20 PM
Costco and Walmart are limiting people to ONLY 2 50 pound bags of rice. Good god who needs that much rice????????????

theHawk
04-25-2008, 12:56 PM
Costco and Walmart are limiting people to ONLY 2 50 pound bags of rice. Good god who needs that much rice????????????

Maybe for people who want to stock up for doomsday.

04-25-2008, 01:34 PM

we did that months ago.

semi liberal girl
04-25-2008, 03:00 PM

That will happen if Obama is elected President :laugh2:

mundame
04-28-2008, 11:39 AM
has this ever happened before? i don't see exactly why rice has shot up so fast, save for fear and mismanagement

Very hard to understand.

Of course it's the ethanol, partly ---- requiring ethanol in gas and subsidizing it raises corn prices, and that has an effect on all basic staples.

However, the Journal Editorial Report over the weekend came up with what I suppose has to be the real reason rice is going up so fast (and so are other grains) ------------------

It's the weak dollar!!!!! Same reason as with gold going up and oil going up:

The dollar isn't real; that is, it's not valuable in itself, it's just green paper.

This government is letting the dollar fall hoping to decrease the deficits, and other issues. BUT COMMODITIES LIKE RICE AND OIL ARE PRICED IN DOLLARS!!

And rice and oil are real, and are valuable, unlike green paper. So when the dollar falls, the real stuff with value, goes up in dollar terms.

So it IS Bush's fault that there is a world food crisis right now!! Jeepers. I think they'll have to stabilize the dollar soon; it won't look good if we starve Africa and Asia all by ourselves.