PDA

View Full Version : Wesely Snipes gets 3 years in prison for Tax evasion

theHawk
04-24-2008, 08:39 PM
This is a fucking disgrace. I really disagree with "sending a message" type sentences. People should get the punishment they deserve, not one to make a fucking political statement by the governmet.

I don't see any reason to throw this man in prison, he is in no way a danger to society. He should of been fined and he is still going to get sued in a civil case by the IRS. He's just taking up a prison cell better suited for a fucking pedophile or murderer.

OCALA, Florida (CNN) -- Actor Wesley Snipes was sentenced Thursday to three years in prison for three misdemeanor counts of failing to file tax returns -- the maximum requested by federal prosecutors.

Wesley Snipes leaves federal court after being sentenced to threes years in prison Thursday.

1 of 2 "Snipes' long prison sentence should send a loud and crystal clear message to all tax defiers that if they engage in similar tax defier conduct, they face joining him," said Assistant Attorney General Nathan J. Hochman of the Justice Department's Tax Division.

Internal Revenue Service Commissioner Douglas Shulman said the law is clear on taxes.

"There is no secret formula that eliminates a person's tax obligations, nor are there any special exceptions," he said.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/04/24/snipes.sentencing/index.html

glockmail
04-24-2008, 08:49 PM
Three years isn't that out of line for tax evasion, unfortunately. A buddy of mine made some errors on some corporate returns and ended up at Club Fed for two years. They just lifted over 2g from my bank account because my CPA used the wrong form to pay them.

You're better off attempting to murder a no-name citizen then to slight the feds their cash.

Missileman
04-24-2008, 08:49 PM
This is a fucking disgrace. I really disagree with "sending a message" type sentences. People should get the punishment they deserve, not one to make a fucking political statement by the governmet.

I don't see any reason to throw this man in prison, he is in no way a danger to society. He should of been fined and he is still going to get sued in a civil case by the IRS. He's just taking up a prison cell better suited for a fucking pedophile or murderer.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/04/24/snipes.sentencing/index.html

I agree totally...it's not like he's a danger to society like Capone was.

Yurt
04-24-2008, 09:01 PM
as i understand it, his crime is a misdemeanor and misdemeanors are punishable by a max of 12 months in jail, not prison. he will appeal, and get maybe 30 days.

hjmick
04-24-2008, 09:14 PM
What did Willie Nelson get for his tax evasion? Snipes deserves no more than Willie.

DragonStryk72
04-24-2008, 11:52 PM
Yet one more reason to abolish the income tax, and install the Fair Tax. No more of this idiotic crap

04-25-2008, 12:09 AM
what's really messed up is there are some pedophiles that get out of prison before Snipes will see the light of day.

PostmodernProphet
04-25-2008, 05:22 AM
Snipes in stripes......

Noir
04-25-2008, 05:36 AM
The man evaded taxes of more than $15 million! He deserves all he gets. If the judge was within his powers to sentence him for 3 years then 3 years it is.
I am not sure myself of what the maximum sentence is, but surly after deceiving tax offices for 10 years at $15 million he should have a sentence at the upper end of the scale

04-25-2008, 07:08 AM
The man evaded taxes of more than $15 million! He deserves all he gets. If the judge was within his powers to sentence him for 3 years then 3 years it is.
I am not sure myself of what the maximum sentence is, but surly after deceiving tax offices for 10 years at $15 million he should have a sentence at the upper end of the scale

he only wants to keep more of his own money and he gets treated worse than some sex offenders. is that really fair?

glockmail
04-25-2008, 07:43 AM
he only wants to keep more of his own money and he gets treated worse than some sex offenders. is that really fair?
He goes to Club Fed. They are usually on a military base somewhere. Think of a summer camp without any ammenities. They typically don't even have a fence.

hjmick
04-25-2008, 09:50 AM

Willie Nelson owed $16.7 million in back taxes, he received no jail time.

Yurt
04-25-2008, 11:32 AM
What did Willie Nelson get for his tax evasion? Snipes deserves no more than Willie.

thats a really good point.

Abbey Marie
04-25-2008, 03:35 PM
He goes to Club Fed. They are usually on a military base somewhere. Think of a summer camp without any ammenities. They typically don't even have a fence.

Conjugals? :coffee:

glockmail
04-25-2008, 04:19 PM
Conjugals? :coffee: No. They are allowed a short kiss and hug opon greeting in the common area, and again upon leaving. :no:

Abbey Marie
04-25-2008, 04:20 PM
No. They are allowed a short kiss and hug opon greeting in the common area, and again upon leaving. :no:

Well then, that's 3 looong years.

Yurt
04-25-2008, 04:33 PM
i've seen photos of the fed "camps" and have alwasy been intrigued on what it must feel like looking out over the lawn, seeing no fence, and really no one to stop you and yet you don't run. i know the consequences of going to a harsher prison keep them from running, but psychologically it must feel weird knowing there is no physical fence

glockmail
04-25-2008, 07:09 PM
Well then, that's 3 looong years.
When my friend finally came home to his family my wife and I had their kids with us fairly often.

Yurt
04-25-2008, 07:41 PM
When my friend finally came home to his family my wife and I had their kids with us fairly often.

what did he said about the "virtual" fence?

My Winter Storm
04-25-2008, 08:41 PM
He deserves everything he gets. Like it or not, he committed a crime, and for that he must be punished. That is what the law is there for - do think people just have the right to rip of the system and get away with it? Hell no, lock him up and throw away the key.

This man CHOSE not to file tax returns, it was greed that got him into this mess, and if he had have done the right thing in the first place he wouldn't be waiting to be shipped off to jail, would he?

The fact that he claimed he was only arrested for tax evasion because he was black tells me the guy is a total dropkick.

Good ridance to him, maybe it'll teach others not to be so stupid and greedy.

glockmail
04-25-2008, 08:46 PM
what did he said about the "virtual" fence? He said that the inmates used to talk about that a lot. Everyone knew where the line was, and some guys would just stand at it, others would walk the perimeter.

I gave him a job when he got out, which enabled him to get off parole as quickly as possible. I'll never forget the day that I picked him up at the local parole office. I had to sign him out like a grade school kid. We got in my car and I just drove to the parking lot driveway and asked him "where to?" and he was like: "holy shit, this is strange, you can just go anywhere you want." I asked him what he wanted to do first, figuring I'd get him home to see his wife, and he said he wasn't allowed to do that, so he asked me to take him for some real food, and I took him to a Subway.

Yurt
04-25-2008, 08:51 PM
Sharon den Adel;236397]He deserves everything he gets. Like it or not, he committed a crime, and for that he must be punished. That is what the law is there for - do think people just have the right to rip of the system and get away with it? Hell no, lock him up and throw away the key.

so the law is only about punishment, not reform? if wesley deserves what he got, did willy too?

This man CHOSE not to file tax returns, it was greed that got him into this mess, and if he had have done the right thing in the first place he wouldn't be waiting to be shipped off to jail, would he?

actually, part of his schtick, not sure i believe him, was a tax protest. did he take it too far, yes. but good lord, 3 years? people get less than that in CA for violent crimes...hell, they often get 90 days in jail, NOT prison. as the article stated -- MOST of these trials are in CIVIL court, not criminal.

The fact that he claimed he was only arrested for tax evasion because he was black tells me the guy is a total dropkick.

if he did claim the black race card, then wrongo he is his, however, he is entitled to a defense, even if it is wrong.

My Winter Storm
04-25-2008, 09:15 PM
I don't know the Willy Nelson thing but if he did the same thing, then yes, he should have been punished.

People have the right to protest against paying taxes, but they don't have the right to refuse to pay them, and expect to get away with it.

It's about time a celebrity was given a stiff penalty for breaking the law - most seem to get off any charge easy enough, hopefully it won't be so easy for Snipes.

Mr. P
04-25-2008, 09:25 PM
He said that the inmates used to talk about that a lot. Everyone knew where the line was, and some guys would just stand at it, others would walk the perimeter.

I gave him a job when he got out, which enabled him to get off parole as quickly as possible. I'll never forget the day that I picked him up at the local parole office. I had to sign him out like a grade school kid. We got in my car and I just drove to the parking lot driveway and asked him "where to?" and he was like: "holy shit, this is strange, you can just go anywhere you want." I asked him what he wanted to do first, figuring I'd get him home to see his wife, and he said he wasn't allowed to do that, so he asked me to take him for some real food, and I took him to a Subway.

:laugh2: What a pal! :slap: :poke:

glockmail
04-25-2008, 09:30 PM
:laugh2: What a pal! :slap: :poke: Hey! That's where he wanted to go!

Noir
04-30-2008, 07:14 AM
He deserves everything he gets. Like it or not, he committed a crime, and for that he must be punished. That is what the law is there for - do think people just have the right to rip of the system and get away with it? Hell no, lock him up and throw away the key.

Hear hear,
I am also not aware of Willie Nelson but he should have been banged up too. I'm not sure why Nelson was left free but if it was found that he was definatly evading taxes then that obviously shouldn't of happened. To claim that Snipes should get a 'get out of jail' free card just because Nelson (wrongly) got one is false logic and would make a mockery of the US justice system.

He wants to keep his money against the law...this is wrong
This was not a petit tax evasion, we're talkin millions.
If it is within the judges power to hand down a 3 year sentence then yes it is fair.

04-30-2008, 11:36 AM
Hear hear,
I am also not aware of Willie Nelson but he should have been banged up too. I'm not sure why Nelson was left free but if it was found that he was definatly evading taxes then that obviously shouldn't of happened. To claim that Snipes should get a 'get out of jail' free card just because Nelson (wrongly) got one is false logic and would make a mockery of the US justice system.

He wants to keep his money against the law...this is wrong
This was not a petit tax evasion, we're talkin millions.
If it is within the judges power to hand down a 3 year sentence then yes it is fair.

then make him pay the taxes. he has more than enough money to. why waste the tax payers dollars to lock him up? it just seems crazy that the tax payers need to pay to keep him in prison while many sex offenders get a slap on the wrist.

Trigg
04-30-2008, 03:18 PM
The guy from Survivor got 5 years, why should Snipes get preferential treatment?

hjmick
04-30-2008, 03:34 PM
The guy from Survivor got 5 years, why should Snipes get preferential treatment?

Because Snipes didn't appear naked on network television? Just saying...

:coffee:

Trigg
04-30-2008, 03:42 PM

Yes, there is that.

Abbey Marie
04-30-2008, 05:30 PM

Naked and flabby.