PDA

View Full Version : Reality can be such a bummer!

gabosaurus
04-25-2008, 04:41 PM
I love the stories where the princess is thrown off her throne and dumped a room with all the commoners. Much to her disdain.

It comes from one of my coworkers, who lives down the block from a fairly wealthy couple. Their teenage daughter, an only child, is incredibly spoiled. Neighbor kids refer to her as "the princess." One of those kids who has her own car, though she is not old enough to legally drive.
Has had several run-ins with the law, including shoplifting, public vandalism and minor in possession of alcohol and tobacco. Her dad used a prominent attorney to get her off.

Her last arrest involved public intoxication, resisting arrest and assaulting a police officer. In court, the judge gave her probation, but ruled that if he saw the girl again, she would be sent to juvenile detention until she was 18. Girl also got a stern lecture after rolling her eyes at the judge.

Earlier this week, princess was back in court again, charged with vandalism. When asked (by the same judge as before) if she was guilty, girl supposedly said "so what if I did? I'm just a kid."
To which the judge replied "now you're a kid in jail." And they hauled her off. :lmao:

Dad supposedly has his own date in court now for threatening the judge. Mom collapsed and had to be treated by paramedics.

Yurt
04-25-2008, 04:43 PM
wow, all that and she's not even sixteen? since she is privileged, would she be one of the kids you might counsel...or maybe she goes to private school? i'm curious as to what went wrong.

hjmick
04-25-2008, 04:45 PM
wow, all that and she's not even sixteen? since she is privileged, would she be one of the kids you might counsel...or maybe she goes to private school? i'm curious as to what went wrong.

Her parents are Democrats?

Pale Rider
04-25-2008, 04:47 PM
Her parents are Democrats?

"LIBERAL" democrats... and all the more reason why the word liberal is a dirty word.

gabosaurus
04-25-2008, 04:52 PM
Good question, Yurt. Since this has been going on for a while, many of my coworkers have been following the situation.
Sounds to me like the girl is just too spoiled and too pampered. Need anything? Dad will buy it. Get it trouble? Mom and dad will get you off. Once you start getting away with serious incidents, you begin to think you are bullet proof.
If a judge told me that my next court visit will end in a trip to juvenile detention, it would tend to alter my thinking a bit. Others might just view it as another thing they could get away with.

I am guessing that her reality is taking quite a hit. Juvenile detention centers are not pretty.

gabosaurus
04-25-2008, 04:55 PM
"LIBERAL" democrats... and all the more reason why the word liberal is a dirty word.

Can we have at least one thread that does not divert into "Liberal vs. Conservative, Dem vs GOP" bullshit?
Christ on a cracker people! If you want a caste system, move to India. :rolleyes:

Yurt
04-25-2008, 05:10 PM
Good question, Yurt. Since this has been going on for a while, many of my coworkers have been following the situation.
Sounds to me like the girl is just too spoiled and too pampered. Need anything? Dad will buy it. Get it trouble? Mom and dad will get you off. Once you start getting away with serious incidents, you begin to think you are bullet proof.
If a judge told me that my next court visit will end in a trip to juvenile detention, it would tend to alter my thinking a bit. Others might just view it as another thing they could get away with.

I am guessing that her reality is taking quite a hit. Juvenile detention centers are not pretty.

that makes sense. that happens not only with kids, but with adults as well, like movie stars (dittzy spears for one). it seems to me that too many these days have no real concept of consequences and i believe this stems from the polar reaction to strict parenting that developed in the late sixties. speaking only for me, i experienced this first hand, somewhat.

after my parents divorced, my strict father was no longer around and my mother was stuck with trying to raise to kids and go to school. her parents were (deceased) extremely strict. when her father found out she was pregnant at 17 he slapped her. eventually he came around and supported her and her family when times got rough, however, that had such an impact on my mom that she decided to be my friend. this was great, however, it was a learning experience for her and i. i did not see boundaries, i saw a friend. when things got bad (remember my mom was taking a full load of classes) she would call dad, who then called me and basically yelled at me. it worked for a day, then old patterns emerged. as much as i hated it, she sought counseling....hated all of them...save for one guy...who, to be honest took me (alone) for a walk and did the most simple thing, bought me a coke. maybe it was a simple fatherly act, but he gained my trust and changed my world view.

anyways, i learned that while my mother did not want to be as strict as her parents, she also did not want me thinking i could get away with everything. in reality, had she not been working and going to school full time, things would have been different, but that is life. we both learned to respect boundaries. it seems to me this kid has not been taught boundaries. i don't think its necessary to "whip" this kid, but to show this kid boundaries and consequences of action.

how to do this without being "strict?" i don't know, maybe its differnt for each person. with some, you can spank them and it has no effect, you can put them in prison, it has no effect. without instilling a sense of respect and boundaries, nothing will change.

IMHO

Abbey Marie
04-25-2008, 05:15 PM
how to do this without being "strict?" i don't know, maybe its differnt for each person. with some, you can spank them and it has no effect, you can put them in prison, it has no effect. without instilling a sense of respect and boundaries, nothing will change.

IMHO

Sometimes, you are just dealing with a bad seed. And never name your kid "Damian". ;)

gabosaurus
04-25-2008, 05:19 PM
Excellent points Yurt!!
I have seen too many kids go bad because they never had any discipline. Their parent(s) wanted to be their "friend" instead of their mom or dad. Or the parent(s) tried to substitute money and material possession for love.
One of the most awful examples I ever experienced was a middle school kid who brought a gun to school. Teachers and administrators were incredulous. This was a very quiet boy, great grades and attitude, never caused a single problem in his life.
So why would he bring a gun to school? He wanted attention. He had no real friends and his parents pretty much ignored him at home.

Wealth is NOT a substitute for love and discipline!!

Dilloduck
04-25-2008, 05:26 PM
I love the stories where the princess is thrown off her throne and dumped a room with all the commoners. Much to her disdain.

It comes from one of my coworkers, who lives down the block from a fairly wealthy couple. Their teenage daughter, an only child, is incredibly spoiled. Neighbor kids refer to her as "the princess." One of those kids who has her own car, though she is not old enough to legally drive.
Has had several run-ins with the law, including shoplifting, public vandalism and minor in possession of alcohol and tobacco. Her dad used a prominent attorney to get her off.

Her last arrest involved public intoxication, resisting arrest and assaulting a police officer. In court, the judge gave her probation, but ruled that if he saw the girl again, she would be sent to juvenile detention until she was 18. Girl also got a stern lecture after rolling her eyes at the judge.

Earlier this week, princess was back in court again, charged with vandalism. When asked (by the same judge as before) if she was guilty, girl supposedly said "so what if I did? I'm just a kid."
To which the judge replied "now you're a kid in jail." And they hauled her off. :lmao:

Dad supposedly has his own date in court now for threatening the judge. Mom collapsed and had to be treated by paramedics.

Finding joy at someone else's expense is a bit sick.