PDA

View Full Version : Message Boards and the Pavlovian Response

hjmick
04-26-2008, 09:34 PM
I have been a member of many a message board for a few years, I've been a member here for almost a year now, and I still find myself amused by the antics of some members. There is always at least one member of every board, more often than not several, who can not seem to contain their visceral reactions to those with whom they find themselves ideologically opposed. Usually they focus on three or four particular members, often responding to an initial post with what appears to be a sincere interest in an exchange of ideas and opinions, when, in reality, they are merely waiting for the opportunity lay waste to a thread with curses, threats, innuendo, name calling, vile insults, and naked anger and aggression.

To what can we attribute these sorts of actions? Is there something lacking in their lives that makes them feel the need to resort to such small and petty tactics? Are these people lacking self esteem and must make themselves feel better by attacking others? What motivates them to post messages with a Cujo-like ferocity?

I am of the opinion that once the cussing and name calling begins, the debate or discussion is over. The instigator of such is obviously incapable of intelligent discourse and hardly worth the time it takes to punch out a response on the keyboard. Name calling and insults being, in my opinion, the last refuge of a weak mind.

If we suppose that what I have posted is true, why then do we, as a community, tolerate people like this? Do we feel sorry for these people? Are we, by reading their childish tirades, somehow posting vicariously through them? Or is it as simple as every village needing an idiot? Or does it all boil down to the idea of free speech?

If you don't believe, watch the board. You will see it. The conditioned response of certain members can be amusing at times. Of course, it can be just as disturbing as well. It forces one to wonder if those in that persons sphere of influence in the real world are safe.

diuretic
04-26-2008, 11:39 PM
I admit to having lost it at times and not being proud of it either. But usually - I think - it's my reaction when things get personal. I admit to do experiencing a visceral reaction at times to some statements that I have a direct ideological opposition to but I hope I don't respond in a visceral manner.

My real worry is that sometimes I can't stop myself using cutting words to someone whom I disagree with on principal (that is when it's still on topic and hasn't spiralled into personal issues) and there's absolutely no defence to that. But then I've done that in real life too, so I suppose at least it's consistent (I used to work for our union full time and I'm used to quite ferocious verbal debates).

Pale Rider
04-27-2008, 02:18 AM
A message board is a place where people get the chance to voice their opinion, and I think one of things people enjoy about voicing their opinion here is, that they're not standing face to face with the person to whom they're talking. It's all in a cyber world. So when people disagree, in here, they get to tell that other person not only what they think of their opinion, but they get to take it one step further and talk shit, because they know there's no way they can get their ass kicked. For many, this is the only chance they'll ever have to talk like that, because they're such a pussy in real life, if they did it face to face with a real person, they'd wind up in the hospital. Their solution, come on a message board and be the asshole they can't be in real life.

Me, I've had melt downs and been banned on this board three times. I've made threats that I'd back up if I wanted. I have nothing but time and the money to indulge myself. But, I've also learned from those experiences, it's not worth it. The trouble one would get in tracking down and beating the shit out of a smart mouthed little pussy just isn't worth it. So that leaves everyone here, EVERYONE, the freedom to talk all the trash they want, and never have to worry about getting their face pushed in by someone who could and would do it.

And there you have it... a message board and what makes people tick.

diuretic
04-27-2008, 03:47 AM
I was just thinking of that bloke in the media few months ago who travelled across the States to go and biff someone that upset him on a forum of some type. Luckily for me I'm so far away, I reckon I would have run out of steam by the time I got to LAX :laugh2:

Pale Rider
04-27-2008, 06:18 AM
I was just thinking of that bloke in the media few months ago who travelled across the States to go and biff someone that upset him on a forum of some type. Luckily for me I'm so far away, I reckon I would have run out of steam by the time I got to LAX :laugh2:

I heard about that too, and I'll bet that person is in a world of trouble. As mad as I might get over something said to me here, it isn't worth going to prison for.