PDA

View Full Version : clinton's rawanda legacy

manu1959
02-28-2007, 01:01 AM
anyone want to tell me this story......

Psychoblues
07-11-2008, 05:52 AM
Bill Clinton admits the Rwandan problem was his biggest failure. But, he is not completely at fault. The republican congress and Senate as elected in 1994 are certainly more to blame than anything Bill Clinton could or could not do. Wasn't he impeached for a blowjob? High crimes and misdemeanors my ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!

diuretic
07-11-2008, 05:55 AM
I think Clinton didn't actually cause it. On the other hand BushCheney actually caused the Iraq situation.

Psychoblues
07-11-2008, 05:58 AM
I'll damn sure buy that, doc!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think Clinton didn't actually cause it. On the other hand BushCheney actually caused the Iraq situation.

Can I get you something to drink? The Lounge is open, don't you know?

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::l augh2::laugh2::laugh2:

diuretic
07-11-2008, 06:26 AM
I'll damn sure buy that, doc!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can I get you something to drink? The Lounge is open, don't you know?

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::l augh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Much appreciated PB - how about a refill of my glass - shiraz it is :laugh2:

Psychoblues
07-11-2008, 06:30 AM
And Shiraz it will be!!!!!!!!

Much appreciated PB - how about a refill of my glass - shiraz it is :laugh2:

WTF is "Shiraz"? Sounds Iranian to me?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!!??!?!?

diuretic
07-11-2008, 06:52 AM
And Shiraz it will be!!!!!!!!

WTF is "Shiraz"? Sounds Iranian to me?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!!??!?!?

:laugh2:

You'd be right! The French call it Hermitage. We call it Shiraz I would assume after the city in Iran...hey it's just a grape! Nice wine though :laugh2:

Psychoblues
07-11-2008, 07:16 AM
I've been rather deep in the grapes, myself, sometimes, doc.

:laugh2:

You'd be right! The French call it Hermitage. We call it Shiraz I would assume after the city in Iran...hey it's just a grape! Nice wine though :laugh2:

Right now th hops and barley do it for me, don't you know?

Have another shazam om me, doc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE grapes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

actsnoblemartin
07-11-2008, 12:52 PM
I thought he was impeached for lying about it???

Please explain what the difference in powers between the president and congress are because I thought the president decides whether to ask congress for approval to send troops to war??

Bill Clinton admits the Rwandan problem was his biggest failure. But, he is not completely at fault. The republican congress and Senate as elected in 1994 are certainly more to blame than anything Bill Clinton could or could not do. Wasn't he impeached for a blowjob? High crimes and misdemeanors my ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!

actsnoblemartin
07-11-2008, 12:53 PM
Rwanda, was a tragic event.

Bill clinton, the republican congress at the time, and america were not solely responsible for atrocities.

The whole world turned a blind eye.

Its a habit doncha know :cheers2:

Trigg
07-11-2008, 01:14 PM

Former President of the United States Bill Clinton was impeached by the House of Representatives on December 19, 1998, and acquitted by the Senate on February 12, 1999. The charges, perjury and obstruction of justice, arose from the Monica Lewinsky scandal and the Paula Jones law suit. The trial proceedings were largely party-line, with no Democratic Senators voting for conviction and only five Democratic Representatives voting to impeach. In all, 50 senators voted "not guilty," and 50 voted "guilty" on the obstruction charge. The Senate also acquitted on the charge of perjury with 55 votes cast as "not guilty," and 45 votes as "guilty." It was only the second impeachment of a President in American history, following the impeachment of Andrew Johnson in 1868.

He was impeached for LYING about it, not for the BJ.

actsnoblemartin
07-11-2008, 01:23 PM
if he were impeached for the bj, kennedy wouldve been impeached in his first year :laugh2:

He was impeached for LYING about it, not for the BJ.

red states rule
07-11-2008, 03:26 PM

I know facts can be pesky PB - but Bill was impeached for perjury. He did lie under oath, and you can't change that fact

Said1
07-11-2008, 05:40 PM
I thought Rwanda was more or less the UN's baby? I can't remember. I DO know they rendered what UN soldiers they DID have in Rwanda as useless under the surmounting circumstances.

red states rule
07-12-2008, 12:39 PM
This is the only true legacy Bill Clinton has and deserves

http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/x/B/clinton_memorial.jpg

April15
07-12-2008, 04:27 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rwandan_Genocide

The site will explain the how and why. You will not see what is claimed by the right.

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200109/power-genocide

Said1
07-12-2008, 04:46 PM
What is claimed by the right?

Nukeman
07-12-2008, 05:10 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rwandan_Genocide

The site will explain the how and why. You will not see what is claimed by the right.

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200109/power-genocide

Dude, wikipedia is NOT a valid source!!!!! NO school or college will ever take that as a valid sight so neither do I........

I will say it can be a good place to START and find possible VALID links but as a whole wiki just has too much editing!!!!!!!!

April15
07-12-2008, 05:37 PM
Dude, wikipedia is NOT a valid source!!!!! NO school or college will ever take that as a valid sight so neither do I........

I will say it can be a good place to START and find possible VALID links but as a whole wiki just has too much editing!!!!!!!!tHAT IS WHY THE SECOND SOURCE IS POSTED. Check it out! Just a little different.

red states rule
07-12-2008, 06:53 PM
Another example of Bill's legacy

http://www.strangecosmos.com/images/content/110465.jpg

theHawk
07-14-2008, 03:57 PM

Did the Congress pass some law forbidding military action in Rwanda?

April15
07-14-2008, 04:04 PM
From second URL in previous post.

I. People Sitting in Offices

In the course of a hundred days in 1994 the Hutu government of Rwanda and its extremist allies very nearly succeeded in exterminating the country's Tutsi minority. Using firearms, machetes, and a variety of garden implements, Hutu militiamen, soldiers, and ordinary citizens murdered some 800,000 Tutsi and politically moderate Hutu. It was the fastest, most efficient killing spree of the twentieth century.

A few years later, in a series in The New Yorker, Philip Gourevitch recounted in horrific detail the story of the genocide and the world's failure to stop it. President Bill Clinton, a famously avid reader, expressed shock. He sent copies of Gourevitch's articles to his second-term national-security adviser, Sandy Berger. The articles bore confused, angry, searching queries in the margins. "Is what he's saying true?" Clinton wrote with a thick black felt-tip pen beside heavily underlined paragraphs. "How did this happen?" he asked, adding, "I want to get to the bottom of this." The President's urgency and outrage were oddly timed. As the terror in Rwanda had unfolded, Clinton had shown virtually no interest in stopping the genocide, and his Administration had stood by as the death toll rose into the hundreds of thousands.

Why did the United States not do more for the Rwandans at the time of the killings? Did the President really not know about the genocide, as his marginalia suggested? Who were the people in his Administration who made the life-and-death decisions that dictated U.S. policy? Why did they decide (or decide not to decide) as they did? Were any voices inside or outside the U.S. government demanding that the United States do more? If so, why weren't they heeded? And most crucial, what could the United States have done to save lives?

So far people have explained the U.S. failure to respond to the Rwandan genocide by claiming that the United States didn't know what was happening, that it knew but didn't care, or that regardless of what it knew there was nothing useful to be done. The account that follows is based on a three-year investigation involving sixty interviews with senior, mid-level, and junior State Department, Defense Department, and National Security Council officials who helped to shape or inform U.S. policy. It also reflects dozens of interviews with Rwandan, European, and United Nations officials and with peacekeepers, journalists, and nongovernmental workers in Rwanda.

theHawk
07-14-2008, 04:24 PM
I read that.

Basically B.J. Clinton and his cronies were a bunch of morons who didn't know what was going on. Or more likely his cronies just ignored it like they did every other national secuirty threat because you know, the 90's were the good 'ol days of peace and we didn't want to talk about any bad news. B.J. was much more concerned with his poll numbers than he ever was about doing the right thing.

manu1959
07-14-2008, 06:21 PM

he was impeached for lying same as scooter libby.....

and if clinton is not responsible for rawanda then bush is not responsible for iraq.....

red states rule
07-15-2008, 06:32 AM
http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/J/8/clinton_pain.jpg