PDA

View Full Version : House OK's minimum wage increase to $7.25

MtnBiker
01-11-2007, 10:14 PM
House OK's minimum wage increase to $7.25

By Jeannine Aversa, Associated Press | January 11, 2007

WASHINGTON -- The Democrat-controlled House voted yesterday to increase the federal minimum wage to $7.25 an hour, bringing America's lowest-paid workers a crucial step closer to their first raise in a decade.

The vote was 315 to 116, with more than 80 Republicans joining Democrats to pass it.

"You should not be relegated to poverty if you work hard and play by the rules," said House majority leader Steny Hoyer, Democrat of Maryland.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2007/01/11/house_oks_minimum_wage_increase_to_725/

I knew this would pass easily.

Mr. P
01-11-2007, 10:27 PM
Damn, now my Big Mac meal will double in price, those bastards!

MtnBiker
01-11-2007, 10:32 PM
Doubtfull, it is likely that most McDonalds employees already make more than the current minimum wage.

Mr. P
01-11-2007, 10:39 PM
Doubtfull, it is likely that most McDonalds employees already make more than the current minimum wage.

You're right, most do make more..but it's a ratio thingy on the corp accounting side. Pay more out, raise prices to neutralize the added expense.

MtnBiker
01-11-2007, 10:42 PM
True enough. Look for an increase in minimum priced items as well.

Insein
01-11-2007, 10:43 PM
Except these arent the nations lowest paid workers. The millions of illegals working for dollar/hr wages are.

MtnBiker
01-11-2007, 10:46 PM
Yeah, but they get free health care.

Mr. P
01-11-2007, 10:49 PM
True enough. Look for an increase in minimum priced items as well.

Across the board. It affects everyone regardless of income.

What follows? Higher taxes to fund the relief programs for the lower income earners that can't AFFORD the higher prices! It's insane!!!

MtnBiker
01-11-2007, 10:52 PM
We are going to get higher taxes regardless of any change in the minimum wage.

Mr. P
01-11-2007, 11:13 PM

But even higher now.

01-12-2007, 03:41 AM
well unless they are cutting taxes too, the President said he would veto the bill. Let's see if he actually does it.

Mr. P
01-12-2007, 08:38 AM
well unless they are cutting taxes too, the President said he would veto the bill. Let's see if he actually does it.

:eek: Don't hold yer breath. W veto a bill? :lol: Sorry couldn't help myself.

Dilloduck
01-12-2007, 08:46 AM

Hang on--Don't we need a poll from the American people?

Do you want your taxes raised? yes or no

Gaffer
01-12-2007, 10:45 PM
My daughter was doing some checking on government assistance the other day. She discovered that for a familiy of four the poverty level was anyone making less than 46,000 a year.

Now I would like congress to explain to me how, based on that, 7.25 and hour is a livable wage.

I see the law as a feather in the dem cap and nothing more than that. Hopefully Bush vetos it.

Insein
01-12-2007, 11:34 PM
Doing the math gaffer, 2 parents making $7.25/hr, working 40hr weeks for 52 weeks a year are only making a combinded $30160. Can't imagine anyone living off of that wage with kids. So yes feather in the cap is all it is. Only a matter of afew years before Dems want it raised to $10 or $12 or $15. Its not going to help anything.

Gaffer
01-12-2007, 11:53 PM
Doing the math gaffer, 2 parents making $7.25/hr, working 40hr weeks for 52 weeks a year are only making a combinded $30160. Can't imagine anyone living off of that wage with kids. So yes feather in the cap is all it is. Only a matter of afew years before Dems want it raised to $10 or $12 or $15. Its not going to help anything.

It will eventually create runaway inflation and higher prices that's all it will do.

The poor people not making a livable wage is just the dems plaining the guilt trip routine like they always do.

MtnBiker
01-24-2007, 01:06 PM
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Senate Republicans on Wednesday blocked a Democratic bill to increase the federal minimum wage for the first time in a decade, demanding it first include small-business tax relief.

On a vote of 54-43, Democrats fell six short of the 60 needed to end debate and go to passage of the House-passed measure, which would raise the minimum wage to $7.25 per hour from $5.15 per hour over two years.

Republicans demanded tax breaks be added to the legislation to help small business cover the proposed pay hike for millions of America's lowest paid workers. Senate Democratic leaders have indicated they would be willing to go along with some sort of tax relief if necessary to win approval.

But Democratic Sen. Edward Kennedy of Massachusetts led the charge against attaching tax breaks to the bill, saying in the past decade the U.S. Congress has provided billions of dollars in tax relief to corporations and the wealthiest Americans.

"Why can't we do just one thing for minimum wage workers? No strings attached, no giveaways for the powerful?," Kennedy asked.

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=politicsNews&storyID=2007-01-24T172522Z_01_WBT006480_RTRUKOC_0_US-USA-CONGRESS-WAGES-VOTE.xml&WTmodLoc=PolNewsHome_C1_%5BFeed%5D-5

01-24-2007, 01:16 PM
Naturally Ted doesnt understand basic economics.

This is good though:)

You know in a way its going to be amusing watching the Democrats try to pass things they wont be able to get through the Senate and will get vetoed if they do get it through.

Insein
01-24-2007, 03:03 PM

You know in a way its going to be amusing watching the Democrats try to pass things they wont be able to get through the Senate and will get vetoed if they do get it through.

you so sure they'll get vetoed?

BTW, i love how Teddy, richer than all rich motherfuckers in the country, can say to small business owners that they don't need a tax break when they are taxed out the ass on everything. Sole propreitorships are the single most taxed entity in this country. More than individuals. More than partnerships and corporations. They pay the most taxes in this country. They are going to be the ones hurt the most by this minimum wage hike, so absolutely the deserve the tax break.

jillian
01-24-2007, 03:07 PM

And, of course, you have a far greater understanding of economics, right? lol...

As for veto, did you not hear a word your guy said last night? He basically adopted a good chunk of the Democratic agenda. He did this, not because he suddenly agrees with Nancy Pelosi and company, but because a president with a 28% approval rating and a split party whose elected members are trying to dissociate themselves from his poisonous record before the next election cycle, doesn't have the juice to veto bill after bill. The Repub members will turn on him in a shot and override if he continues to make them look bad enough.

Get it now? ;)

Gaffer
01-24-2007, 03:27 PM
The Senate rejected the bill and sent it back to the house. So much for their moving fast. The house will have to redo it and send it back through now.

01-24-2007, 04:40 PM
And, of course, you have a far greater understanding of economics, right? lol...

As for veto, did you not hear a word your guy said last night? He basically adopted a good chunk of the Democratic agenda. He did this, not because he suddenly agrees with Nancy Pelosi and company, but because a president with a 28% approval rating and a split party whose elected members are trying to dissociate themselves from his poisonous record before the next election cycle, doesn't have the juice to veto bill after bill. The Repub members will turn on him in a shot and override if he continues to make them look bad enough.

Get it now? ;)

Yes actually I do have a far better understanding of economics. atleast thats what my grades said. Most of its common sense. Which is probably why I could be sick half the time and still thrash the exams.

And yes I think he will use the veto. Probably not as much as he should, but i dont think most of the stuff will get out of the Senate. Not that really has anything to do with economics.

CockySOB
01-24-2007, 09:05 PM

Get it now? ;)

Personally, I like how you cherry-pick the approval rating poll that best suits your own view. You took the latest CBS ratings and ignored the rest of the pack (including Rasmussen (http://www.rasmussenreports.com/Bush_Job_Approval.htm)) who show ratings some 10 points higher.

Nice intellectual low-ground you took. But then, I've come to understand that you're a blatant partisan who really doesn't care about little things like FACTS which get in your way.

manu1959
01-24-2007, 09:52 PM
Except these arent the nations lowest paid workers. The millions of illegals working for dollar/hr wages are.

they are criminals....are you advocating they get a raise?

Insein
01-24-2007, 11:31 PM
they are criminals....are you advocating they get a raise?

I was merely bringing to light the inconvienant truth forgotten/ignored by these idiot politicians.