PDA

View Full Version : McCain slams Bush for Katrina, BUT...

typomaniac
04-28-2008, 11:45 AM
...where was he then?

So McCain says he personally would have gone there, would he? Hmmm...what was he doing while people were drowning in New Orleans?

NEW ORLEANS — Sen. John McCain yesterday blasted the Bush administration's handling of Hurricane Katrina as "disgraceful," declaring he would have handled it differently than the president by personally flying to the nearest Air Force base to oversee the response.

"Never again. Never again will a disaster of this nature be handled in the terrible and disgraceful way that it was handled. Never again. Never again," Mr. McCain said, speaking at St. David Catholic Church in the city's Lower Ninth Ward.

The presumptive Republican presidential nominee clearly distanced himself from President Bush, saying the administration has left Hurricane Katrina victims mired in red tape, preventing them from returning home.

"The stories are myriad about the bureaucracy," Mr. McCain told reporters on board his campaign bus as he visited with Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, a fellow Republican, before touring a neighborhood in the Ninth Ward. That area's low-income residents are still struggling to rebuild from the storm that wiped out swaths of land in August 2005.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080425/NATION/672252767/1001

Where was McCain while the people were left in the stadiums without help for days and days? What was he doing while people waved for help on the roofs of buildings and got carried away by flood waters? He says Bush should have gone there in person?

Turns out he was with Bush, in person, and apparently he forgot to mention that idea to the occupant of the White House. They were busy. Having birthday cake.

http://hometown.aol.com/musenla/2005/Q3/bushcake.jpg

Licking their fingers. Yum!

http://hughesforamerica.typepad.com/hughes_for_america/images/capt.azsw10208291734.bush_azsw102.jpg

Looks like fun!

http://www.democrats.org/page/-/images/content/bushMcCainKatrina.jpg

They had a gay old time.

While New Orleans drowned.

04-28-2008, 11:58 AM
color me skeptical, but those pictures could be from anytime. Exactly what proof do you have that this is during Katrina? Especially since if i remember correctly everyone was complaining that the President was on vacation in crawford at the time. Those pictures dont look like Crawford.

typomaniac
04-28-2008, 12:26 PM
color me skeptical, but those pictures could be from anytime. Exactly what proof do you have that this is during Katrina? Especially since if i remember correctly everyone was complaining that the President was on vacation in crawford at the time. Those pictures dont look like Crawford.

Hey, if you're that curious, go to the URLs where they're posted and look for the captions.

Fact remains, McCain never went anywhere near N.O. after Katrina.

04-28-2008, 12:29 PM
Hey, if you're that curious, go to the URLs where they're posted and look for the captions.

yeah i cant imagine why the Senator from Arizona wasnt in Louisiana.

stephanie
04-28-2008, 12:31 PM
The bigger question is..

Where was BLANCO AND NAGIN?

Oh that's right..they were running around like chickens with their heads off..so the Federal Government had to step in to save the people of N. O.

And they still spit upon the people who risked their lives to help them out..

typomaniac
04-28-2008, 12:52 PM
The bigger question is..

Where was BLANCO AND NAGIN?

Oh that's right..they were running around like chickens with their heads off..so the Federal Government had to step in to save the people of N. O.

And they still spit upon the people who risked their lives to help them out..

So you clap for a natural disaster that killed hundreds of innocent people just so one state could replace a blue governor with a red one?

God, you're sick. :pee:

stephanie
04-28-2008, 12:54 PM
So you clap for a natural disaster that killed hundreds of innocent people just so one state could replace a blue governor with a red one?

God, you're sick. :pee:

I don't have any idea where the hell you got what you just said out of what I wrote..

But......you're not only sick, you're an idiot..

typomaniac
04-28-2008, 01:05 PM

By the way, it was still on 8/29/05, at Luke AFB. The cake was for McCain hitting the big 6-9.

Another source (http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/08/images/20050829-5_p082905pm-0125-515h.html)

Happy now? :rolleyes:

hjmick
04-28-2008, 01:07 PM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/hjmc3rd/school_buses.jpg

stephanie
04-28-2008, 01:09 PM
By the way, it was still on 8/29/05, at Luke AFB. The cake was for McCain hitting the big 6-9.

Another source (http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/08/images/20050829-5_p082905pm-0125-515h.html)

Why do I give a shit about that?
Natural disasters happen every yr. all around the United States, yet it's only N.O are we STILL HEARING ABOUT...and how many yrs has it been now???????

Why the fuck is that..

You all need to go get a life..:cheers2:

Yurt
04-28-2008, 01:09 PM

what about blanco and nagin? are they innocent? is bush somehow more culpable? while you play the blame game, why don't you just blame God.

hjmick
04-28-2008, 01:21 PM

Okay...seriously...

Fact remains, that McCain is, and was then, the senator from Arizona. He had no power to do anything about what was going on in New Orleans. Furthermore, how do you or any of us know that he didn't suggest to Bush that he should go to Louisiana? Maybe he did and Bush ignored the suggestion? And as for Bush going, I can't see how his going to New Orleans with the entourage required to support his visits is going to help anyone. In fact, I can't help but think that the logistics involved would be more of a hinderance than a help. Those pictures, you claim, were taken on August 29, 2005, the very day that Katrina swept through the Gulf Coast, and somehow you want Bush and/or McCain to be down there? At the height of the storm? Not very realistic.

The failures in New Orleans are numerous enough to spread around, starting first with Nagin, followed closely by Blanco, and lastly FEMA.

typomaniac
04-28-2008, 01:22 PM
what about blanco and nagin? are they innocent? is bush somehow more culpable? while you play the blame game, why don't you just blame God.

Your buddy McCain's the one who started the blame game, not me. Read the OP again.

glockmail
04-28-2008, 01:24 PM
I don't have any idea where the hell you got what you just said out of what I wrote..

But......you're not only sick, you're an idiot.. That tactic is called a strawman, and a very piss-poor one at that.

Yurt
04-28-2008, 01:33 PM
Your buddy McCain's the one who started the blame game, not me. Read the OP again.

mommy, he started it...LOL...why are you dodging the question?

hjmick
04-28-2008, 01:37 PM

The blame game started on August 30, 2005. And it didn't start with McCain.

typomaniac
04-28-2008, 02:07 PM
Okay...seriously...
Seriously? Okay... :laugh2:

Fact remains, that McCain is, and was then, the senator from Arizona. He had no power to do anything about what was going on in New Orleans.GMAFB. A veteran senator from the majority party is on enough committees and has enough influence on the hill to be almost as powerful as the president.

Furthermore, how do you or any of us know that he didn't suggest to Bush that he should go to Louisiana? Maybe he did and Bush ignored the suggestion?If McCain had in fact suggested this, don't you think he'd be trumpeting it all over the place, now that he's campaigning?

And as for Bush going, I can't see how his going to New Orleans with the entourage required to support his visits is going to help anyone. In fact, I can't help but think that the logistics involved would be more of a hinderance than a help.All of which was true at Ground Zero on 9/11. These are, I'm sorry to say, empty excuses.

Those pictures, you claim, were taken on August 29, 2005, the very day that Katrina swept through the Gulf Coast, and somehow you want Bush and/or McCain to be down there? At the height of the storm? Not very realistic.I expected them to be doing something besides sucking frosting off their thumbs. :slap:

The failures in New Orleans are numerous enough to spread around, starting first with Nagin, followed closely by Blanco, and lastly FEMA.So why aren't you stringing up Giuliani and Pataki over 9/11? It couldn't be because they're Republicans, could it? Nawwww......
:lame2:

hjmick
04-28-2008, 02:49 PM
Seriously? Okay... :laugh2:

GMAFB. A veteran senator from the majority party is on enough committees and has enough influence on the hill to be almost as powerful as the president.

While this may be true, to get anything done would ultimately require congress to act and the signature of the President.

If McCain had in fact suggested this, don't you think he'd be trumpeting it all over the place, now that he's campaigning?

I don't know, perhaps. Then again, he might refrain from doing so in an effort to keep the all important Republican dollar needed to run. Either way, we are just speculating.

All of which was true at Ground Zero on 9/11. These are, I'm sorry to say, empty excuses.

Except that Bush went to Ground Zero after the planes hit and the towers fell, not during the event.

I expected them to be doing something besides sucking frosting off their thumbs. :slap:

Like...what? Within the United States and as laid out in the National Response Plan, disaster response and planning is first and foremost a local government responsibility, loosely translated, this means Nagin dropped the ball. When local government exhausts its resources, it then requests specific additional resources from the county level. The request process then shifts from the county to the state, then to the federal government. What we saw in New Orleans was the direct result of inadequate planning at the local and state level first, and the federal level second.

So why aren't you stringing up Giuliani and Pataki over 9/11? It couldn't be because they're Republicans, could it? Nawwww......
:lame2:

Because neither of them were heading up the FAA or NORAD. Because neither of them were privy to any form of intelligence that may have given them the opportunity to intercede in the activities of teh men who hijacked the planes.

Personally, I can't stand Giuliani and his 9/11 Tourette's, but he did all that could be expected of him on 9/11 and the days that followed. It was not, however, a platform upon which he could seek higher office.

A remarkably good and, despite the site, unbiased timeline can be found at Right Wing Nuthouse: Katrina: Response Timeline (http://rightwingnuthouse.com/archives/2005/09/04/katrina-response-timeline/). Unfortunately, it is somewhat old and many og the links in the piece are no longer active.

typomaniac
04-28-2008, 03:17 PM
While this may be true, to get anything done would ultimately require congress to act and the signature of the President.

I don't know, perhaps. Then again, he might refrain from doing so in an effort to keep the all important Republican dollar needed to run. Either way, we are just speculating.

Except that Bush went to Ground Zero after the planes hit and the towers fell, not during the event.

Like...what? Within the United States and as laid out in the National Response Plan, disaster response and planning is first and foremost a local government responsibility, loosely translated, this means Nagin dropped the ball. When local government exhausts its resources, it then requests specific additional resources from the county level. The request process then shifts from the county to the state, then to the federal government. What we saw in New Orleans was the direct result of inadequate planning at the local and state level first, and the federal level second.

Because neither of them were heading up the FAA or NORAD. Because neither of them were privy to any form of intelligence that may have given them the opportunity to intercede in the activities of teh men who hijacked the planes.

Personally, I can't stand Giuliani and his 9/11 Tourette's, but he did all that could be expected of him on 9/11 and the days that followed. It was not, however, a platform upon which he could seek higher office.

A remarkably good and, despite the site, unbiased timeline can be found at Right Wing Nuthouse: Katrina: Response Timeline (http://rightwingnuthouse.com/archives/2005/09/04/katrina-response-timeline/). Unfortunately, it is somewhat old and many og the links in the piece are no longer active.

Are you honestly trying to apologize for McCain when it comes to his role in Katrina? At the time, he was voting in lockstep with the worst the Republicans have to offer:

He voted against the Emergency Supplemental Appropriations bill for 2006 (2006 Senate vote 112), against establishing a commission to study the response to Katrina (2005 Senate vote 229), against a 26-week extension of UI benefits to those affected by Katrina (2005 Senate vote 234), and against 5 months of Medicaid access to victims (2005 Senate vote 285).

No self-described moderate could be defending this kind of behavior. :poke:

hjmick
04-28-2008, 03:33 PM
Are you honestly trying to apologize for McCain when it comes to his role in Katrina? At the time, he was voting in lockstep with the worst the Republicans have to offer:

He voted against the Emergency Supplemental Appropriations bill for 2006 (2006 Senate vote 112), against establishing a commission to study the response to Katrina (2006 Senate vote 229), against a 26-week extension of UI benefits to those affected by Katrina (2006 Senate vote 234), and against 5 months of Medicaid access to victims (2006 Senate vote 285).

No self-described moderate could be defending this kind of behavior. :poke:

Defending? No, not really, though I can understand how you might arrive at this conclusion. I am merely playing the Devil's advocate. The truth is, I think the response to Katrina was abysmal on all levels, from local, to state, to federal. The planning is where it started, and it continued with FEMA. While I do not blame Bush, the buck does stop at the top. His choice of Brown to head up FEMA was ill advised to say the least. When one delgates responsibility, one must accept some measure of blame when failure ensues.

As for McCain's votes, my guess is they will come back to haunt him. Not know enough about them myself, it's hard for me to comment as to why one would vote "nay," though I'd be willing to bet there are more than a few who would change their vote today were it possible. Especially if they are running for President.

Damn, this election is going to suck...

Pale Rider
04-28-2008, 06:27 PM
Are you honestly trying to apologize for McCain when it comes to his role in Katrina?

So let me get this straight... now, you liberals want to blame mccain for the inaction in N.O., and mister chocolate city nigger nagin, and blanco, and FEMA, and bush are all off the hook?

My fuckin' God... give it a rest. That's the most absurd thing I've heard yet on the issue.

Trigg
04-28-2008, 07:05 PM
Bush should not have been in N.O. immediataly after the hurrican. It was a mess with the floods and getting people out of the city.

The gov. actually did an amazing job of getting those people out of the city in less than 4 days.

The hurricane hit on Sun. the city flooded on Mon. the city was empty by Friday. Also on Friday Bush toured the Gulf area.

McCain has/had no reason to criticise Bush for the inaction. Expecting that McCain should have been there is assinine also. Getting there immediatly after the storm would have caused more problems that it would have solved, since security was a major issue.

Sean Penn got there during the evacution with his security patrol, flak jacket and boat to help save the people Bush didn't care about, and ended up making an ass of himself when his boat sank.

Abbey Marie
04-28-2008, 07:21 PM

He didn't need to. :laugh2: This guy had it covered:

http://tinyrevolution.com/mt/mt-static/images/penn-taibbi.jpg

http://www.hyscience.com/archives/penn_boating.jpeg.jpg

Missileman
04-28-2008, 07:22 PM
He didn't need to. :laugh2: This guy had it covered:

http://tinyrevolution.com/mt/mt-static/images/penn-taibbi.jpg

http://www.hyscience.com/archives/penn_boating.jpeg.jpg

But look at all the camera and light people he rescued....he's my hero!

Abbey Marie
04-28-2008, 07:32 PM
But look at all the camera and light people he rescued....he's my hero!

Well, darn, I never thought of it that way! :clap:

DragonStryk72
04-28-2008, 09:45 PM
so, basically, it's a bullshit fest for reps and dems? Oh yes.... I am... yawn, so shocked.....

typomaniac
04-29-2008, 03:54 PM
So let me get this straight... now, you liberals want to blame mccain for the inaction in N.O., and mister chocolate city nigger nagin, and blanco, and FEMA, and bush are all off the hook?

My fuckin' God... give it a rest. That's the most absurd thing I've heard yet on the issue.

I'm afraid that I can't speak for "us liberals," as I no longer have my secret decoder ring. Sold it on eBay.

The point is, the OP isn't so much about the inaction in N.O. as it is about McCain not putting his money where his mouth is. Like every other hypocrite in politics.

stephanie
04-29-2008, 04:22 PM
I'm afraid that I can't speak for "us liberals," as I no longer have my secret decoder ring. Sold it on eBay.

The point is, the OP isn't so much about the inaction in N.O. as it is about McCain not putting his money where his mouth is. Like every other hypocrite in politics.

what the hell..

How much more money do they need down there from the Federal government(us citizens)?

When will enough be enough?

Can't you all survive on your own?

Good grief..

Hobbit
04-29-2008, 05:06 PM
what the hell..

How much more money do they need down there from the Federal government(us citizens)?

Good grief..

If they'd get out of the way of private industry, they'd be fine. A scrap metal company offered a rather nice sum to the city for permission to drag wrecked cars out of the city (the offer was per car collected). Instead, Nagin used our tax dollars to pay somebody else TWICE as much to haul the things away. When you waste more money than you spend, you need a kick in the balls.

typomaniac
04-29-2008, 06:11 PM
what the hell..

Good grief..
:lol:
I'd tell you not to blow a fuse, but you take everything so goddamn literally that I'm afraid that you'd get electrical burns on your lips...

stephanie
04-29-2008, 06:24 PM
:lol:
I'd tell you not to blow a fuse, but you take everything so goddamn literally that I'm afraid that you'd get electrical burns on your lips...

Oh.. you're so cute..

You brought up Katrina, dipshit.:poke:

typomaniac
04-30-2008, 11:21 AM
Oh.. you're so cute..

You brought up Katrina, dipshit.:poke:

This is a McCain thread and you have yet to say one thing about McCain, troll.