PDA

View Full Version : Your kids are NOT special!

gabosaurus
04-28-2008, 05:29 PM
Schools have rules and regulations. You can look them all up. They are all listed in the handout that every parent and student has to sign.
Your kid is NOT exempt from any of them. They can not wear banned items of clothing "because it makes them feel better." The fact that your kid "feels hassled" does not give him/her an excuse to misbehave.
The fact that another kid is "giving up negative vibes" or "disrespects you" does not allow your kid to him to throw a sucker punch.
"I was tired last night" and "I had to work until midnight" are not adequate excuses for consistently not turning in assignments.
Smartass answers and rolling your eyes in class will get you into trouble. It is not that the teacher "hates you."
Your kid joking about having a bomb in his/her backpack will get you a visit from police. It is NOT "just one of those things kids say to get attention."

Sorry, I am having a stressful Monday. :mad:

Kathianne
04-28-2008, 05:38 PM
Schools have rules and regulations. You can look them all up. They are all listed in the handout that every parent and student has to sign.
Your kid is NOT exempt from any of them. They can not wear banned items of clothing "because it makes them feel better." The fact that your kid "feels hassled" does not give him/her an excuse to misbehave.
The fact that another kid is "giving up negative vibes" or "disrespects you" does not allow your kid to him to throw a sucker punch.
"I was tired last night" and "I had to work until midnight" are not adequate excuses for consistently not turning in assignments.
Smartass answers and rolling your eyes in class will get you into trouble. It is not that the teacher "hates you."
Joking about having a bomb in your backpack will get you a visit from school district police. It is NOT "just one of those things kids say to get attention."

Interesting, especially the 'roll eyes' and 'smartass answers'. We have a new 6th grade student this year, had been in a Montessori grammar school until now. She is by far the rudest, though not a trouble maker, of any student I've had in 10 years. Today I was lecturing and she started talking, probably to herself, I just had looked at her, she yelled, "What?!? I didn't do anything." I actually yelled back, (first time I've done so), "What?!? I didn't do anything!" You could have heard a pin drop. "Well other than talk and then yell at the teacher. So you KNOW what? You can just go out in the hall." She started crying. Damn. I said, "Look, you CANNOT talk to adults that way, certainly not those in authority. If your mom was pulled over by a policeman for speeding and screamed at him/her, 'I wasn't speeding.' She'd probably have more of a problem than a speeding ticket. You MUST control your voice and consider your attitude." I let her stay and talked to her, once again, alone while the rest worked on homework.

Pale Rider
04-28-2008, 06:08 PM
Your kid joking about having a bomb in his/her backpack will get you a visit from police. It is NOT "just one of those things kids say to get attention."

They learn that behavior from their parents.

Are you sure you got into the right line of work?

gabosaurus
04-28-2008, 06:13 PM
Kathianne, you could probably relate to my mom.

The head of school district police was talking to some of us right after lunch. After the high school kid who made the "joke" about having a bomb in his backpack.
Another student overheard and told a teacher, who called school district police. The kid was detained and his mother was called to the district administration building. She almost became unglued when told her son would be placed in alternative school for the rest of the year.
In her view, it "was only a childish boast, the kind a kid makes to get attention. If he really did have something in his backpack, THEN he should get in trouble."
Mom placed the blame on the kid who ratted her son out and the teacher who "took things too seriously."

Personal responsibility is dead. :rolleyes:

manu1959
04-28-2008, 06:13 PM

actually, imho they learn that behaviour because their parents don't parent them....they do it to get attention and it works....

gabosaurus
04-28-2008, 06:14 PM
actually, imho they learn that behaviour because their parents don't parent them....they do it to get attention and it works....

Very true manu.
Sometimes, it works too well.

manu1959
04-28-2008, 06:17 PM
Very true manu.
Sometimes, it works too well.

they just need to be retrained ...... used to coach kids like the ones you describe ..... they would seldom act out more than once ....

dan
04-28-2008, 06:49 PM

Amen, sister!

Kathianne
04-28-2008, 06:50 PM
Kathianne, you could probably relate to my mom.

The head of school district police was talking to some of us right after lunch. After the high school kid who made the "joke" about having a bomb in his backpack.
Another student overheard and told a teacher, who called school district police. The kid was detained and his mother was called to the district administration building. She almost became unglued when told her son would be placed in alternative school for the rest of the year.
In her view, it "was only a childish boast, the kind a kid makes to get attention. If he really did have something in his backpack, THEN he should get in trouble."
Mom placed the blame on the kid who ratted her son out and the teacher who "took things too seriously."

Oh man! My sympathies. Thankfully I have little to do with the 'young' at our school, though I have some interaction with the first graders, as they are my class's buddies. They are a whacked group, one can only wonder how out of 24 kids, there are seriously 8 that are seriously BD. 18 of the parents are divorced or in the process of such.

One kid has the whole school, teachers & students on teatherhooks, he sees a shrink 2 times a week, but parents haven't put him on meds yet. Two weeks ago he 'stabbed' a friend in the stomach with a plastic knife, the friend wouldn't share some bread with him, (he had his own lunch), luckily the knife broke, but left a bruise. He was suspended for the remainder of the day and the next.

Last Thursday he was on 'time out' during recess, he scratched, "XXX did this" into a teacher's bumper with a stone. $1800 worth of damage.

His 3rd grade sister is scared of him, 'he hurts her.'

Mind you, he's 6. This is a child who does not belong in a regular classroom, certainly not in a school with no special services.

Kathianne
04-28-2008, 06:52 PM

I agree with that, moreso with your post about couching. The saving grace of many of these children are those adults that deal with them outside of academic arena, when too many other's needs are also calling.

manu1959
04-28-2008, 06:54 PM
Oh man! My sympathies. Thankfully I have little to do with the 'young' at our school, though I have some interaction with the first graders, as they are my class's buddies. They are a whacked group, one can only wonder how out of 24 kids, there are seriously 8 that are seriously BD. 18 of the parents are divorced or in the process of such.

One kid has the whole school, teachers & students on teatherhooks, he sees a shrink 2 times a week, but parents haven't put him on meds yet. Two weeks ago he 'stabbed' a friend in the stomach with a plastic knife, the friend wouldn't share some bread with him, (he had his own lunch), luckily the knife broke, but left a bruise. He was suspended for the remainder of the day and the next.

Last Thursday he was on 'time out' during recess, he scratched, "XXX did this" into a teacher's bumper with a stone. $1800 worth of damage.

His 3rd grade sister is scared of him, 'he hurts her.'

Mind you, he's 6. This is a child who does not belong in a regular classroom, certainly not in a school with no special services.

in the old days kids like that got the shit beat out of them by the other kids.....now noone can touch him or you will get suspended.....

hell.....a good game of dodge ball would fix this kid right up.....

Kathianne
04-28-2008, 06:59 PM
in the old days kids like that got the shit beat out of them by the other kids.....now noone can touch him or you will get suspended.....

hell.....a good game of dodge ball would fix this kid right up.....

I agree to an extent. At the same time so many kids seem to be caring for their own needs and sometimes those of siblings and parents. They need to know that not all adults are self-absorbed and that someone really likes them, "Right then and right here." It's sad to think of small children that don't know that.

I had this little boy with me in church services for the school the other day. I used my finger to show him how to read the music. 3rd song in I asked him if he could show me. He did and sang angelically. As we left the church to go back to the school, he grabbed my hand. He's so sweet, when he's not on a terror. Problem is, no remorse, none.

theHawk
04-28-2008, 09:08 PM

Good God Gabby, you're coming around! :clap:

Mr. P
04-28-2008, 11:21 PM

And obviously forgot about the ACLU and the rest of the liberal machine that created this monster. :slap:

04-29-2008, 12:00 AM
Good God Gabby, you're coming around! :clap:

there is hope for everyone.

Pale Rider
04-29-2008, 02:27 AM

Learning bad behavior from their parents would be a form of not parenting.

jackass
04-29-2008, 01:37 PM
The simple fact is WAY too many parents just dont bother paying any attention at all to what their kids do. They refuse to be the "bad guy" and actually do what they say they are going to do. They would rather take the easy way out and let the kid do what they want.
Im not sure if I told you all this, but the kid across the street (8 or so), his favorite movies are the Saw movies. I thought he was just talking out his ass when he told us this, but his parents actually DO let him watch those movies. I couldnt believe it. Then they wonder why they have to ground him every few days!

gabosaurus
04-29-2008, 06:04 PM
Excellent points Jackass!!
That is actually one of the cases I learned about in grad school. An elementary school age kid stabbed one of his classmates several times with a pencil following an argument. While investigating, case workers discovered that the parents never supervised with the kid watched. The kid had watched a ton of violent movies and knew more bad language that many adults. When he misbehaved, his mom or dad smacked him.

Children are a product of their environment.