PDA

View Full Version : Senate Democrats Eye Gas Price Relief Bill

Pale Rider
04-29-2008, 12:33 PM
Senate Democrats Eye Gas Price Relief Bill

Tuesday, April 29, 2008
By Trish Turner

WASHINGTON — Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid has quietly tasked members of his caucus with crafting a bill he can move quickly to a vote to help give relief from soaring gas prices.

As the price of crude oil hovers near $120 a barrel and thousands of truck drivers descended on Washington, D.C., Monday demanding relief from the soaring prices, FOX News learned that Reid, D-Nev., is looking to get the support of a majority of Democrats behind a bill that amalgamates proposals supported by a variety of senators.

The going has not been smooth putting together this bill, even on such a popular topic. A senior Democratic leadership aide said the bill is still in its infancy despite nearly two weeks of trying.

"It's become a kitchen sink. They've been trying to put this thing together for awhile, and there's still no agreement," the aide said.

"We're still in discussions about what exactly will be in it," Energy Committee Chairman Jeff Bingaman, D-N.M., told FOX News.

A lot of proposals are coming in to Reid, who is accepting ideas from freezing additions to the underground Strategic Petroleum Reserve to get-tough measures on price-gouging and energy market manipulation.

Article continues here... (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,353001,00.html)

PostmodernProphet
04-29-2008, 03:08 PM
to get-tough measures on price-gouging and energy market manipulation

I wonder what happened to the "get tough" measures they put in place the last time they were worried about price gouging....did they eliminate them because they decided it was okay to gouge when the prices were low?......

Pale Rider
04-29-2008, 03:11 PM
I wonder what happened to the "get tough" measures they put in place the last time they were worried about price gouging....did they eliminate them because they decided it was okay to gouge when the prices were low?......

Hillary was on TV giving a speech having an utter fit about gas prices. Price gouging was one of things she was ranting about among others. I'm sure clips of it will be on the news tonight.

theHawk
04-30-2008, 08:14 AM
Hillary was on TV giving a speech having an utter fit about gas prices. Price gouging was one of things she was ranting about among others. I'm sure clips of it will be on the news tonight.

Maybe she should get off her fat ass and do something about it. She's still a Senator.

theHawk
04-30-2008, 08:17 AM
The going has not been smooth putting together this bill, even on such a popular topic. A senior Democratic leadership aide said the bill is still in its infancy despite nearly two weeks of trying.

"It's become a kitchen sink. They've been trying to put this thing together for awhile, and there's still no agreement," the aide said.

"We're still in discussions about what exactly will be in it," Energy Committee Chairman Jeff Bingaman, D-N.M., told FOX News.

I can just see all the Democrats in "discussions" about what to do. They don't have a fucking clue. Their solution to everything has always been to raise taxes, well thats not going to work here!
And of course, there is an easy solution to the problem, they're just too fucking stubborn to do it.

04-30-2008, 11:50 AM
Maybe she should get off her fat ass and do something about it. She's still a Senator.

please, they wont do anything until after the election.

Pale Rider
04-30-2008, 02:16 PM
Well hitlery wants to roll back the federal gas tax, and hussein doesn't. It's their latest rumble. Neither is going to help. We need to drill in those massive new old fields the found in Montana and North Dakota, then Alaska, and the Gulf. Build two or three new refineries, wind generators, solar, and bunch of new nuclear power plants... THEN they'll be talking about DOING something about the price of gas.

Little-Acorn
04-30-2008, 02:54 PM

The held the usual investigations to see how much the oil companies were gouging prices, screweing the consumer. They hold these investigations every time theprice of gasoline goes up, I think this is about the 27th time. And the results were the same as they always are: They found the oil companies weren't gouging, weren't breaking any laws, etc. Rising prices are a result of middle east tensions, sabotage of oil pipelines , and restrictions (by CONGRESS) on new drilling for oil, building nuclear power plants, building new pipelines and electrical towers, etc.

So the "get tough" measure were quietly dropped, since the only people they could "get tough" on were themselves for refusing to drill for oil, open up new fields, build nuclear plants etc.

manu1959
04-30-2008, 02:57 PM
anyone remember a few years ago the dems were complaining that gas prices were too low compared to the rest of the world and they want to raise taxes on it....well the swedes pay $7.50 a gallon so i guess they could raise the gas tax and then give themselves a raise for working 3 months out of 12....