PDA

View Full Version : You're not lesbians, we are lesbians

Yurt
04-30-2008, 12:45 PM
People of Lesbos take gay group to court over term 'Lesbian'

ATHENS, Greece - A Greek court has been asked to draw the line between the natives of the Aegean Sea island of Lesbos and the world's gay women.

Three islanders from Lesbos — home of the ancient poet Sappho, who praised love between women — have taken a gay rights group to court for using the word lesbian in its name.

One of the plaintiffs said Wednesday that the name of the association, Homosexual and Lesbian Community of Greece, "insults the identity" of the people of Lesbos, who are also known as Lesbians.

"My sister can't say she is a Lesbian," said Dimitris Lambrou. "Our geographical designation has been usurped by certain ladies who have no connection whatsoever with Lesbos," he said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080430/ap_on_re_eu/greece_lesbian_pride;_ylt=Al_IwxPq_ZIEomdnx1k3y6QD W7oF

dan
04-30-2008, 12:56 PM
They're a bit late on this one, no?

Hobbit
04-30-2008, 01:19 PM
I've actually been wondering when this was coming.

manu1959
04-30-2008, 01:40 PM
i am still waiting for the leprechauns to file suit against green peace and gay pride…..

Abbey Marie
04-30-2008, 01:44 PM
It might be easier at this point to change the name of the Island. :dunno:

Hobbit
04-30-2008, 01:54 PM
I remember hearing a stand-up comic talking about this once. His mother was VERY Greek, and the bit doesn't really work as well without the voice tone, but it essentially involved him asking what people from different areas of Greece were called, all ending in 'os,' which, in Greek, is changed to 'ian' to describe something from there. So, at the end of the string of questions, he'd ask about the people from Lesbos, and she would say, "They are called Lesb- GREEK!"

Hagbard Celine
04-30-2008, 01:59 PM
I thought the term as we use it originated on the Isle of Lesbos.

Hobbit
04-30-2008, 02:09 PM
I thought the term as we use it originated on the Isle of Lesbos.

It did, thanks to the poet Soppha, who often wrote about how awesome girl-on-girl action is. However, it's pretty embarrassing to be from there now, I'm sure. What if 'Georgian' (where you're from according to your profile) became a slang term for, say, a lunatic (the runaway bride, for example, is from Georgia). I can imagine that being a little degrading.

Pale Rider
04-30-2008, 02:12 PM

No kidding... you may as well try and move heaven and earth as to getting the homo/lesbian community to give up ground... ain't gonna happen.

What does shock me though... is why the homos don't unite against islam.

Abbey Marie
04-30-2008, 02:13 PM
MFM, John Doe, and my in laws, are all "Maine-iacs". :coffee:

Pale Rider
04-30-2008, 02:46 PM
MFM, John Doe, and my in laws, are all "Maine-iacs". :coffee:

I always wanted to visit Maine someday.... don't think so now...

Missileman
04-30-2008, 04:36 PM

Or move...:laugh2:

Hagbard Celine
04-30-2008, 04:53 PM
It did, thanks to the poet Soppha, who often wrote about how awesome girl-on-girl action is. However, it's pretty embarrassing to be from there now, I'm sure. What if 'Georgian' (where you're from according to your profile) became a slang term for, say, a lunatic (the runaway bride, for example, is from Georgia). I can imagine that being a little degrading.

I can see that point of view, but they really don't have a case here. They can't act as if they're suddenly angry about a 2000-year-old word. Do Texan's get pissed when they go to a restaurant and they see "Texas Toast" on the menu? Do residents of the town of Gay (every state has one) get up in arms about the sexual preference that shares its name? (Probably--that's a bad example.) I don't know. Aren't there better things to do with your time than to b*tch about this?

manu1959
04-30-2008, 05:40 PM
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=intercourse+pennsylvania&btnG=Search

i always liked intercourse pennsylvania.....

gabosaurus
04-30-2008, 05:52 PM
Wait!! You mean there is actually an island full of young lesbians? Cowbunga!!

**Watches as DP males rush to look up air fare prices to Athens**

manu1959
04-30-2008, 05:57 PM

copenhagen is better......

82Marine89
04-30-2008, 08:25 PM
You mean there's a chance OCA is a Lesbian?

manu1959
04-30-2008, 08:31 PM
You mean there's a chance OCA is a Lesbian?

trapped in a man's body......

Yurt
04-30-2008, 08:48 PM

why, you want the best fare?

sneaks in your luggage...