PDA

View Full Version : This is really sad

actsnoblemartin
04-30-2008, 04:41 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080430/ts_afp/ushealthmilitary

Fearing stigma, US soldiers hide mental problems: study

WASHINGTON (AFP) - A majority of US soldiers who have done tours of duty in Iraq or Afghanistan say they suffer from stress-related troubles linked to their deployments, a study showed Wednesday.

But most keep their psychological problems to themselves for fear of being stigmatized or seeing their careers take a nose-dive, the study conducted by Harris Interactive for the American Psychiatric Association (APA) showed.

Nearly six in 10 US military members said their deployment in a war zone has caused them to suffer from "negative experiences" associated with stress.

But a mere 10 percent have sought treatment for mental health concerns, according to the study, which surveyed 347 members of the US military and their spouses.

gabosaurus
04-30-2008, 05:47 PM
Do the Bushies care? Not at all.
Hey you! With the mental problems! Quit being a wimp and go get shot at!

actsnoblemartin
04-30-2008, 06:20 PM
You cant just blame bush, that is completely unfair.

You have to blame congress, the senate and the military too

Dilloduck
04-30-2008, 06:23 PM
You cant just blame bush, that is completely unfair.

You have to blame congress, the senate and the military too

shhhhhhhh Gabby is still going thru her rebellious phase. :laugh2:

Pale Rider
04-30-2008, 10:38 PM
If the soldier doesn't get help, it's his/her own damn fault, because the help is there, while you're active, or after you get out.

manu1959
04-30-2008, 10:47 PM

says you while living in the plastic smile profiting off the war and those you loath.....

PostmodernProphet
05-01-2008, 06:05 AM

Query: if they are not seeking help because they fear negative stigma being attached to needing help for stress, do you think they expect the source of that stigma to be the people who supported them going there and what they were doing or would they expect that source to be the people who called them terrorists and murderers......

Abbey Marie
05-01-2008, 09:56 AM
Fear of the stigma of mental illness is true in any job.

LiberalNation
05-01-2008, 09:59 AM
Can't you risk your security clearence by going to see a physc doc/being diagnose with porbs. That could end your career fast.

gabosaurus
05-01-2008, 10:28 PM
Fear of the stigma of mental illness is true in any job.

Yes, but it is even more feared in a job defined by macho manliness. You can imagine being a Marine in need of psychiatric help? No one would ever look you in the face again.

actsnoblemartin
05-01-2008, 10:30 PM
the military need to change this attitude or youll have more suicides and and other problems.

Yes, but it is even more feared in a job defined by macho manliness. You can imagine being a Marine in need of psychiatric help? No one would ever look you in the face again.

rppearso
05-01-2008, 11:10 PM
the military need to change this attitude or youll have more suicides and and other problems.

As long as people keep joining, re-uping and finishing there contracts this is not an issue. Real action is not taken until thoes in charge are pushed into a corner. The only reason they give doctors direct commissions is because they are desperate. Just like with a civilian job.

DragonStryk72
05-02-2008, 12:15 AM
As long as people keep joining, re-uping and finishing there contracts this is not an issue. Real action is not taken until thoes in charge are pushed into a corner. The only reason they give doctors direct commissions is because they are desperate. Just like with a civilian job.

ah yes, was wondering when you'd resurface again. oh well, I guess it was too much to hope that you'd decided to re-evaluate your priorities. In any case, not really here for you.

speaking as former military, as well as someone who had serious knee problems that eventually decided that I was getting out (Well, technically, I chose to get out, but it was walk out, or stay in till I was in a wheelchair. I like walking). as it is, my problem while I was on Limited Duty was not with the people who assumed I was malingering, and assigned me extra work, because at least they believed me capable. My problem was the people of the opposite persuasion, who believed I was a total invalid, and insisted on taking it easy on me. You'll find the same is true of military military men and women.

The study does not say if it is harder for military men and women to admit to needing psychiatric help, and so, I see the findings as flawed in this area.

mrg666
05-02-2008, 01:48 AM
just remember john rambo

rppearso
05-02-2008, 11:28 AM
ah yes, was wondering when you'd resurface again. oh well, I guess it was too much to hope that you'd decided to re-evaluate your priorities. In any case, not really here for you.

speaking as former military, as well as someone who had serious knee problems that eventually decided that I was getting out (Well, technically, I chose to get out, but it was walk out, or stay in till I was in a wheelchair. I like walking). as it is, my problem while I was on Limited Duty was not with the people who assumed I was malingering, and assigned me extra work, because at least they believed me capable. My problem was the people of the opposite persuasion, who believed I was a total invalid, and insisted on taking it easy on me. You'll find the same is true of military military men and women.

The study does not say if it is harder for military men and women to admit to needing psychiatric help, and so, I see the findings as flawed in this area.

All I was trying to say is the military is not going to do anything about anything until they have to. Just like in the civilian world, if you have a few job openings and could maybe hire someone but your not really hurting (assuming this is the state of affairs for your entire industry as it was with me in 04 when I was trying to find an engineering job) your going to make the applicants that want a job jump around like monkeys and you will him and haw around take 2 weeks to get back with people and on and on, but if you actually need people to get real work done you will see how quickly the beauracracy breaks down. Its no different in the military (except with doctors & lawyers), yea theres some news storys about this that and the other with regard to the VA and treatment of troops but until it gets bad enough to start effecting the mission why do anything about it and even if it did get to that point they would do just enough to pull themselves away from the edge, military members will always have a lower quaility of life than successful civilians and thats because the military does not care because its a cast system.

I can see how you would not like to be patronized by people who treat you like an invalid but the people who accused you of malingering were commiting slander which is dishonorable but of course dishonorable behavior is accepted all the time as long as you are not at the bottom of the cast, accusing someone of malingering is a big deal and is taken way to lightly in the military anyone who makes an unfounded accusation like that ought to be busted down in rank and have there leadership position taken away, if they started cracking down on this shit you would start to see an honorable military emerge. But that wont happen becasue they are not desperate enough, maybe if congress make the edge of the cliff crumbly so they had to bring it way back when they went over the edge something would get done but thats not happening.

NATO AIR
05-04-2008, 10:19 PM
If the soldier doesn't get help, it's his/her own damn fault, because the help is there, while you're active, or after you get out.

Its good money to bet on young people being stubborn, proud and/or scared. Its not just the stigma but a way of life and worldview.

What really makes it worse though is the underfunded, overworked VA. You can't have guys who do ask for help having to wait months and months for counsel and help. My friend's wife shouldn't be his mental health counselor but what do you know, thanks to the pork barrel obsessed GOP-dominated Congress in 2003-2006, Democrat incompetence and Bush's indifference, none of this was seriously discussed or debated in good measure back when it could have really done some good.

Now we get to reap the whirlwind for at least another 2-3 years before the reforms Gates and co. are working on have a chance of working in force, and that should tell you something because its DOD having to do the heavy lifting because they're the only ones who can scream and bitch loud enough about it and someone important actually pay attention.

Those stimulus checks should have never happened and the money instead gone to paying for training, scholarships (for young psychs to consider working in the VA system), infrastructure, etc. on the VA system alone so this nation can begin to repay the debt it owes these people for screwing them over with incompetent civilian leadership across the political spectrum and overall indifference by society itself.

rppearso
05-06-2008, 10:56 PM
Its good money to bet on young people being stubborn, proud and/or scared. Its not just the stigma but a way of life and worldview.

What really makes it worse though is the underfunded, overworked VA. You can't have guys who do ask for help having to wait months and months for counsel and help. My friend's wife shouldn't be his mental health counselor but what do you know, thanks to the pork barrel obsessed GOP-dominated Congress in 2003-2006, Democrat incompetence and Bush's indifference, none of this was seriously discussed or debated in good measure back when it could have really done some good.

Now we get to reap the whirlwind for at least another 2-3 years before the reforms Gates and co. are working on have a chance of working in force, and that should tell you something because its DOD having to do the heavy lifting because they're the only ones who can scream and bitch loud enough about it and someone important actually pay attention.

Those stimulus checks should have never happened and the money instead gone to paying for training, scholarships (for young psychs to consider working in the VA system), infrastructure, etc. on the VA system alone so this nation can begin to repay the debt it owes these people for screwing them over with incompetent civilian leadership across the political spectrum and overall indifference by society itself.

I liked my stimulus check, I think the government owes the people for f**king up the economy with the war making our dollar worth less and forcing people in to debt, at least with compensation for there f**k ups some people will be able to break even financially.

manu1959
05-06-2008, 11:12 PM
I liked my stimulus check, I think the government owes the people for f**king up the economy with the war making our dollar worth less and forcing people in to debt, at least with compensation for there f**k ups some people will be able to break even financially.

just curious how the government forced you into debt........

rppearso
05-07-2008, 12:42 AM
just curious how the government forced you into debt........

I should say they made peoples debt much much less manageable by driving up the cost of everything through devaluation of the dollar, I get a 5% annual cost of living raise a year plus about 10K performance raise a year but its not keeping up with the cost of food, natural gas, fuel and other daily living costs. Also the government does not do nearly enough to help subsidize higher education so people who want to better them selves are forced to go into debt. Soap box speech about unrealistic personal accountability only go so far, im not personally accountable for my 401K being pilfered, the government is responsible for the denigration of wealth in this nation and its a full time job just to try to stay in the black with my 401K, the only sound investments right now is precious metals and oil as they are divorcing themselves from the market as the dollar plumets. The nice thing about devaluation of the dollar is my debt is worth less so long as my salery increases to match the true inflation which is about 12% or so.

Nukeman
05-07-2008, 06:53 AM
I should say they made peoples debt much much less manageable by driving up the cost of everything through devaluation of the dollar, I get a 5% annual cost of living raise a year plus about 10K performance raise a year but its not keeping up with the cost of food, natural gas, fuel and other daily living costs. Also the government does not do nearly enough to help subsidize higher education so people who want to better them selves are forced to go into debt. Soap box speech about unrealistic personal accountability only go so far, im not personally accountable for my 401K being pilfered, the government is responsible for the denigration of wealth in this nation and its a full time job just to try to stay in the black with my 401K, the only sound investments right now is precious metals and oil as they are divorcing themselves from the market as the dollar plumets. The nice thing about devaluation of the dollar is my debt is worth less so long as my salery increases to match the true inflation which is about 12% or so.

You have got to be kidding me on this whole list of BS you typed! YOU can't keep up with a 5% cost of living increase PLUS merit increase. Give me a fucking break MOST of us in the real world are lucky to get 3% annualy and thats in a good year, no cost of living either.

If YOU can't keep up with a 5% increase and 10,000 dollars in merit bonuses you must manage your money like you spell..... as in not very well.

Most people are in debt due to the "I have to have this" people do not differentiate between need and want. that my friend is the crux of the problem. Over spending on STUFF not staples. YOU and your ilk need to understand that

You go right ahead and invest in metals and oil!!!!! You will eventually lose big time in those markets.....

rppearso
05-08-2008, 01:59 AM
You have got to be kidding me on this whole list of BS you typed! YOU can't keep up with a 5% cost of living increase PLUS merit increase. Give me a fucking break MOST of us in the real world are lucky to get 3% annualy and thats in a good year, no cost of living either.

If YOU can't keep up with a 5% increase and 10,000 dollars in merit bonuses you must manage your money like you spell..... as in not very well.

Most people are in debt due to the "I have to have this" people do not differentiate between need and want. that my friend is the crux of the problem. Over spending on STUFF not staples. YOU and your ilk need to understand that

You go right ahead and invest in metals and oil!!!!! You will eventually lose big time in those markets.....

What are you investing in US dollars, your going to loose even more big time there or some stock well I dont have inside information and im not a vegas gambler so I wont go there, theres not to many other options. real estate, you can put 3 years of sweat into a property and maybe make a lousy 60K thats not worth my sweat some guys get lucky and you see them on TV "flip that house" but for every success story of some guy making 100K in 3 months 10 people loose there asses. Metals will never go down as long as the dollar is worthless its basicly just a way of preserving your wealth from being pilfered by the economy. But what the hell do I know put your money in USD's. Food, heat, housing and transportation are staples and just thoes things alone are big bucks with all thoes things going up and up and up in price its raping people, there is an element of personal responsibility but there is a huge governmental responsibility, people always like to focus on the personal accountablity without taking into account the fact that the government is repsonsible for this recession. People cant manage there debt with dollars that dont buy anything.