PDA

View Full Version : CIA chief says China's rapid military buildup troubling

actsnoblemartin
04-30-2008, 11:26 PM
WASHINGTON (AFP) - CIA chief Michael Hayden charged Wednesday that China was beefing up its military with "remarkable speed and scope," calling the buildup "troubling."

The Chinese, he said, had fully absorbed the lessons of both Gulf wars, developing and integrating advanced weaponry into a modern military force.

Hayden said while Beijing's new capabilities could pose a risk to US forces and interests in the region, the military modernization was as much about projecting strength as anything else.

"After two centuries of perceived Western hegemony, China is determined to flex its muscle," he said in a speech at Kansas State University. "It sees an advanced military force as an essential element of great power status."

05-01-2008, 05:33 PM
yeah China's definitely a concern. Not sure when they will act but I am sure they will act at some point.

bullypulpit
05-02-2008, 09:16 AM
WASHINGTON (AFP) - CIA chief Michael Hayden charged Wednesday that China was beefing up its military with "remarkable speed and scope," calling the buildup "troubling."

The Chinese, he said, had fully absorbed the lessons of both Gulf wars, developing and integrating advanced weaponry into a modern military force.

Hayden said while Beijing's new capabilities could pose a risk to US forces and interests in the region, the military modernization was as much about projecting strength as anything else.

"After two centuries of perceived Western hegemony, China is determined to flex its muscle," he said in a speech at Kansas State University. "It sees an advanced military force as an essential element of great power status."

So with China holding some $ 1.7 <b><i>TRILLION</i></b> in debt incurred by the current administration, and our military bogged down in the tar-pit that is Iraq, just what is the Bush administration gonna do about it? In a word...nothing.

Gaffer
05-02-2008, 10:23 AM
Wouldn't a war with China kinda nullify any debt we might have with them? Or will we continue to pay our bill as we bomb the hell out of their cities? We have about the same amount of forces in Asia as we do in iraq. And we can pull out of iraq if things get hot with China.

China may test its military muscle with Taiwan. If that proves successful then expect them to continue into other areas, including Russia.

FSUK
05-02-2008, 08:06 PM
China will not touch any country. Their leaders are not war mongers, they actually- behave like a super power, they dont abuse their power- unlike the US.

They sit back and watch US invade and bomb countries for OIL. And due to these illegal wars- we have to live in fear on reprisals by terrorists. THANK YOU USA- for spreading freedom and peace-- NOT!.

82Marine89
05-02-2008, 08:11 PM
China will not touch any country. Their leaders are not war mongers, they actually- behave like a super power, they dont abuse their power- unlike the US.

They sit back and watch US invade and bomb countries for OIL. And due to these illegal wars- we have to live in fear on reprisals by terrorists. THANK YOU USA- for spreading freedom and peace-- NOT!.

Want to explain to me why I'm paying $4.00 a gallon for gas when we invaded a country for it's oil? Care to elaborate how this war is illegal?

Kathianne
05-02-2008, 08:33 PM

Got some links? Question for you, why is China the one country that all others have had major issues with regarding food, toys, medicines, etc.? Yet they claim others are to blame?

April15
05-02-2008, 08:43 PM
Want to explain to me why I'm paying $4.00 a gallon for gas when we invaded a country for it's oil? Care to elaborate how this war is illegal?We invaded Iraq to implement the republicans Project for a New American Century by creating chaos in the middle east so the varying sects would kill off each other leaving just a few for the US to control.
The planning and implementation have been bungled so badly that like the crusades Islamists will come out ahead by default.

manu1959
05-02-2008, 08:46 PM
We invaded Iraq to implement the republicans Project for a New American Century by creating chaos in the middle east so the varying sects would kill off each other leaving just a few for the US to control.
The planning and implementation have been bungled so badly that like the crusades Islamists will come out ahead by default.

why not just lift the sanctions....pay off saddam.....sell them more wmds and buy the oil on the cheap.......

Gaffer
05-03-2008, 08:14 AM

Why don't you move to China?

JohnDoe
05-03-2008, 09:42 AM
why not just lift the sanctions....pay off saddam.....sell them more wmds and buy the oil on the cheap.......
hey manu! :)
saddam announced in 2000 he was going off the dollar to the euro...oil companies met with cheney in 2001 with their displeasures....

war in 2003

here is a very complicated and long article regarding underlying reasons that make sense...at least to me!
a snippet from it:

Contemporary warfare has traditionally involved underlying conflicts regarding economics and resources. Today these intertwined conflicts also involve international currencies, and thus increased complexity. Current geopolitical tensions between the United States and Iran extend beyond the publicly stated concerns regarding Iran’s nuclear intentions, and likely include a proposed Iranian “petroeuro” system for oil trade.

Similar to the Iraq war, military operations against Iran relate to the macroeconomics of ‘petrodollar recycling’ and the unpublicized but real challenge to U.S. dollar supremacy from the euro as an alternative oil transaction currency.

It is now obvious the invasion of Iraq had less to do with any threat from Saddam’s long-gone WMD program and certainly less to do to do with fighting International terrorism than it has to do with gaining strategic control over Iraq’s hydrocarbon reserves and in doing so maintain the U.S. dollar as the monopoly currency for the critical international oil market. Throughout 2004 information provided by former administration insiders revealed the Bush/Cheney administration entered into office with the intention of toppling Saddam Hussein.[1][2]

Candidly stated, ‘Operation Iraqi Freedom’ was a war designed to install a pro-U.S. government in Iraq, establish multiple U.S military bases before the onset of global Peak Oil, and to reconvert Iraq back to petrodollars while hoping to thwart further OPEC momentum towards the euro as an alternative oil transaction currency (i.e. “petroeuro”).[3] However, subsequent geopolitical events have exposed neoconservative strategy as fundamentally flawed, with Iran moving towards a petroeuro system for international oil trades, while Russia evaluates this option with the European Union.

In 2003 the global community witnessed a combination of petrodollar warfare and oil depletion warfare. The majority of the world’s governments – especially the E.U., Russia and China – were not amused – and neither are the U.S. soldiers who are currently stationed inside a hostile Iraq. In 2002 I wrote an award-winning online essay that asserted Saddam Hussein sealed his fate when he announced in September 2000 that Iraq was no longer going to accept dollars for oil being sold under the UN’s Oil-for-Food program, and decided to switch to the euro as Iraq’s oil export currency.[4]

http://www.energybulletin.net/7707.html

jd

Gaffer
05-03-2008, 10:37 AM
hey manu! :)
saddam announced in 2000 he was going off the dollar to the euro...oil companies met with cheney in 2001 with their displeasures....

war in 2003

here is a very complicated and long article regarding underlying reasons that make sense...at least to me!
a snippet from it:

http://www.energybulletin.net/7707.html

jd

Interesting find JD. Seems iran is play the same money game. If they can get the US to withdraw from iraq and get their nukes they will be able to intimidate the other surrounding countries. Giving them an economic if not physical caliphate in the middle east. With that accomplished they can then dictate who gets oil. Restricting oil sales to only those countries that are muslim controlled. Don't know how this would play on the world market but I have a feeling this is the goal. I'm not an economist, but I can foresee something like this being attempted by iran.

Feel free to tear holes in my speculation, but also be sure to look at how it could be accomplished.

bullypulpit
05-03-2008, 10:49 AM
Wouldn't a war with China kinda nullify any debt we might have with them? Or will we continue to pay our bill as we bomb the hell out of their cities? We have about the same amount of forces in Asia as we do in iraq. And we can pull out of iraq if things get hot with China.

China may test its military muscle with Taiwan. If that proves successful then expect them to continue into other areas, including Russia.

Who said anything about a war? All they have to do is threaten to dump their US debt holdings and watch the Bush administration scramble to kiss China's ass.

NATO AIR
05-03-2008, 02:48 PM
HE also said this though, a sign of maturity in foreign policy vision...

So whether China begins to engage the world in ways that are less narrowly focused will greatly influence the U.S.-Chinese relationship in the next century. If Beijing begins to accept greater responsibility for the health of the international system—as a global power should—I think we’ll remain on a constructive, even if from time to time competitive, path. If not, then the rise of China begins to look a bit more adversarial. So that’s number two: East Asia and China.

That's why China's declining image in the world right now is important... if the Chinese impart the right lesson from this they will become a better global citizen and express more of an influence on negative trends and actors.

FSUK
05-03-2008, 05:58 PM
Why don't you move to China?

whats your point gaffner? maybe you have nothing to say for once relevant to the topic?.

Whats wrong? are you finding hard trying to maintain your right wing-neo-con reputation?

Gaffer
05-03-2008, 06:59 PM
whats your point gaffner? maybe you have nothing to say for once relevant to the topic?.

Whats wrong? are you finding hard trying to maintain your right wing-neo-con reputation?

Go back to your koran studies pakboy. I have better things to do than listen ot your dribble.

stang56k
05-03-2008, 08:35 PM
This is new news?

stang56k
05-03-2008, 08:37 PM

isn't it awesome having negative rep because you are not apart of the status que? :dance:

Said1
05-03-2008, 11:02 PM
isn't it awesome having negative rep because you are not apart of the status que? :dance:

Status Quo. If your going to go against the grain, at least get the terminology right. :laugh2: