PDA

View Full Version : Saddam hanging could have been "more dignified"

Evil
01-05-2007, 08:45 AM
BAGHDAD (Reuters) - President Bush said Saddam Hussein could have been hanged in a "more dignified way" and one his closest Arab allies said on Friday a video of Shi'ite officials taunting him on the gallows was "barbaric".

In Bush's first comments on Saddam's unruly televised hanging, which has inflamed sectarian passions in Iraq ahead of his announcement next week of a new Iraq strategy, he said he expected the Iraqi government to conduct a full investigation but said the ousted leader was given justice.

"I wish, obviously, that the proceedings had ... gone in a more dignified way. But nevertheless, he was given justice," said Bush, who is planning to change his top military and civilian officials in Baghdad in moves that would wrap up a change of officials responsible for the war.

"We expect there to be a full investigation of what took place," Bush told reporters in the White House on Thursday.

President Hosni Mubarak of Egypt, one of Washington's closest allies in the Middle East, joined the growing chorus of criticism, saying pictures of the execution were "revolting and barbaric".

Violence in Iraq has heightened regional sectarian and ethnic tensions between the mainly Sunni Muslim Arab world and Shi'ites who dominate Iraq and neighboring, non-Arab Iran.

In an interview with Israeli newspaper Yedioth Ahronoth, Mubarak said the timing was "unreasonable" and that he had written to Bush asking him to postpone the execution. The Iraqi government has said the U.S. envoy asked for a two-week delay.

LINK (http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=topNews&storyID=2007-01-05T130916Z_01_L308031_RTRUKOC_0_US-IRAQ.xml&WTmodLoc=NewsArt-L3-Top+NewsNews-2)

Gaffer
01-06-2007, 05:14 PM
It was barbaric by our standards, but not by the iraqi and arab standards. Their mindset is totally different from ours. Which is what most in the west don't understand.

To them barbaric is normal.

Mr. P
01-06-2007, 05:57 PM
BAGHDAD (Reuters) - President Bush said Saddam Hussein could have been hanged in a "more dignified way" and one his closest Arab allies said on Friday a video of Shi'ite officials taunting him on the gallows was "barbaric".

In Bush's first comments on Saddam's unruly televised hanging, which has inflamed sectarian passions in Iraq ahead of his announcement next week of a new Iraq strategy, he said he expected the Iraqi government to conduct a full investigation but said the ousted leader was given justice.

"I wish, obviously, that the proceedings had ... gone in a more dignified way. But nevertheless, he was given justice," said Bush, who is planning to change his top military and civilian officials in Baghdad in moves that would wrap up a change of officials responsible for the war.

"We expect there to be a full investigation of what took place," Bush told reporters in the White House on Thursday.

President Hosni Mubarak of Egypt, one of Washington's closest allies in the Middle East, joined the growing chorus of criticism, saying pictures of the execution were "revolting and barbaric".

Violence in Iraq has heightened regional sectarian and ethnic tensions between the mainly Sunni Muslim Arab world and Shi'ites who dominate Iraq and neighboring, non-Arab Iran.

In an interview with Israeli newspaper Yedioth Ahronoth, Mubarak said the timing was "unreasonable" and that he had written to Bush asking him to postpone the execution. The Iraqi government has said the U.S. envoy asked for a two-week delay.

LINK (http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=topNews&storyID=2007-01-05T130916Z_01_L308031_RTRUKOC_0_US-IRAQ.xml&WTmodLoc=NewsArt-L3-Top+NewsNews-2)

Bush needs to shut TFU. He went after Saddam with the best military in the world, made pin point bomb strikes to kill the guy and now he says this hanging could have been 'more dignified'? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Gaffer
01-06-2007, 06:21 PM
Once again he's catering to the politically correct crowd.

That's his problem. Talks tough until someone cries about it, then changes his tone.

manu1959
01-06-2007, 06:23 PM
should have fed him into a wood chipper feet first.....

Mr. P
01-06-2007, 06:26 PM

That's his problem. Talks tough until someone cries about it, then changes his tone.

I agree, Gaffer. With you too, manu1959.

jimnyc
01-06-2007, 06:33 PM
I said all along that they should have forced him to choke to death on raw pig. Would that have been dignified enough?

Gaffer
01-06-2007, 06:34 PM
should have fed him into a wood chipper feet first.....

But that would have been barbaric. :lmao:

Nienna
01-06-2007, 07:53 PM

Exactly. This is where all the disillusionment with the Republican party has come from... not from being "too conservative," but from being pansies once they were in power. We put down liberals for thinking that we can appease Muslims with reason and compromise, but at the head of the Republican party, and throughout the party, we have our own appeasers. Why do they think liberals can be appeased with reason and compromise? The liberals want to hand us over to the Muslims! Liberals are unreasonable and Muslims are uncompromising. So where are the conservative cohones?

Gaffer
01-06-2007, 08:40 PM
Exactly. This is where all the disillusionment with the Republican party has come from... not from being "too conservative," but from being pansies once they were in power. We put down liberals for thinking that we can appease Muslims with reason and compromise, but at the head of the Republican party, and throughout the party, we have our own appeasers. Why do they think liberals can be appeased with reason and compromise? The liberals want to hand us over to the Muslims! Liberals are unreasonable and Muslims are uncompromising. So where are the conservative cohones?

Good question. I think there are a lot more Americans that think like we do than that think in that pc frame of mind. One of the problems tho is that neither the reps nor the dems have any gahones no matter which ones in power. They both continue to play to the pc crowd. but voting out the reps doesn't help if they are just replaced by the dems.

01-06-2007, 10:26 PM
More dignified? What the heck is the President trying to bend over for his critics? It just doesn't make any sense. The only reason they don't think it was dignified is because they dont think any method of execution is. So what is the reason for trying to placate the people who didn't want it to begin with.

Gaffer
01-07-2007, 02:14 AM
Dignified? He dropped through the trap door. His neck snapped, he died and his bowels and bladder emptied, filling his pants. He smelled. Nothing dignified about it in anyway. So what if he got tormented before dying, Its nothing compared to what he use to do.

Gunny
01-07-2007, 11:10 AM

Yeah .... they could have had a more dignified setting kinda' like Nicholas Berg got.:rolleyes:

jillian
01-07-2007, 12:18 PM
Yeah .... they could have had a more dignified setting kinda' like Nicholas Berg got.:rolleyes:

Berg was killed by a legitimate government or by fanatics?

Saddam's death, if that's what they were insistent upon, should have been more dignified, not for him, but for us. It was demeaning to our own values.

OCA
01-07-2007, 12:31 PM

Saddam's death, if that's what they were insistent upon, should have been more dignified, not for him, but for us. It was demeaning to our own values.

Horseshit! Our supposed "values" are whats getting us our asses handed to us there. We need to get off this moral fantasy train and roll in the mud more.

BTW, he requested to be hung.

Gunny
01-07-2007, 12:43 PM

Bull. For one thing, we didn't hang him, so our values are irrelevant. Second, there is nothing dignified about an execution and dressing it up real pretty to suit PC sensibilities is just plain-old crap. They could have hanged him from the nearest tree and the end result would be the same.

Gunny
01-07-2007, 12:45 PM

Oh, and who murdered Berg is irrelevant as well except for accountability purposes.

Gaffer
01-07-2007, 03:21 PM
I would like to see the murderers of Berg and all the others swing the same way saddam did. Film em and watch em kick.

jillian
01-07-2007, 04:26 PM
Oh, and who murdered Berg is irrelevant as well except for accountability purposes.

So try and execute Berg's murderers.... I have no problem with that. I'd even go so far as saying his family should be the ones to finish them off if they'd like.

But that isn't what we're talking about here. We're talking about the way the US government comports itself. It doesn't help us to take sides between Shi'a and Sunni in their civil war. Let them blow each other up, I don't care. But if we're going to remain a world leader, we can't continue to forget about our moral authority.

Gaffer
01-07-2007, 04:41 PM
As I said. Its not a civil war. Its a bunch of militias fighting over neighborhoods. And other groups with different agendas. Once the iraqi government is strong enough to take over things the fighting will continue. That's the way they think over there. They are a bunch of tribes fighting with other tribes. There is no national identity. And iran is playing both sides against the middle.

Gunny
01-07-2007, 08:39 PM
So try and execute Berg's murderers.... I have no problem with that. I'd even go so far as saying his family should be the ones to finish them off if they'd like.

But that isn't what we're talking about here. We're talking about the way the US government comports itself. It doesn't help us to take sides between Shi'a and Sunni in their civil war. Let them blow each other up, I don't care. But if we're going to remain a world leader, we can't continue to forget about our moral authority.

No, we aren't talking about the way the US government comports itself. We're talking about trying to blame on the US gov't something done by the Gov't of Iraq.

I find it odd that all you liberals do here at home is try your best to destroy our moral authority; yet, you want to hold the US Gov't abroad to moral guidelines that would make Jerry Falwell wince.

Something twisted and just not right about that.

Gaffer
01-07-2007, 09:27 PM
No, we aren't talking about the way the US government comports itself. We're talking about trying to blame on the US gov't something done by the Gov't of Iraq.

I find it odd that all you liberals do here at home is try your best to destroy our moral authority; yet, you want to hold the US Gov't abroad to moral guidelines that would make Jerry Falwell wince.

Something twisted and just not right about that.

Gunny its all about the perpetual game played by the left of putting everyone on a guilt trip. Whether we are responsible for something or not we should feel guilty about it.

Gunny
01-08-2007, 09:46 PM
Gunny its all about the perpetual game played by the left of putting everyone on a guilt trip. Whether we are responsible for something or not we should feel guilty about it.

Ain't that the truth?

I feel guilty about some things I have done in the past, but at least I know for a fact I did them. And none of them have anything to do with anything the left wants me to feel guilty for.

Pale Rider
01-08-2007, 10:10 PM
Horseshit! Our supposed "values" are whats getting us our asses handed to us there. We need to get off this moral fantasy train and roll in the mud more.

BTW, he requested to be hung.

Yeah. As opposed to stoning, firing squad, drowning, disembowlment, electricution, beheading, gassing or any other means those rag heads see as "dignified". As long as your dead when they're done with ya, those barbarians don't give a shit less how you die. Only our PC crowd does. I'd have staked the sons a bitch out naked on a red ant hill, and covered him with honey.

Gaffer
01-08-2007, 11:04 PM
Mutalation before execution would have been better. Hands and feet cut off then the noose. But the pc crowd cries oh no they tormented him with words before he died. What cruelty.

Gunny
01-09-2007, 09:24 PM
Yeah. As opposed to stoning, firing squad, drowning, disembowlment, electricution, beheading, gassing or any other means those rag heads see as "dignified". As long as your dead when they're done with ya, those barbarians don't give a shit less how you die. Only our PC crowd does. I'd have staked the sons a bitch out naked on a red ant hill, and covered him with honey.

I was thinking more along the lines of the old Apache trick of tying him to a wagon wheel and spinning him as it bemused them over a low fire. Eventually, his brain cooks and he dies.

Gaffer
01-09-2007, 09:46 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of the old Apache trick of tying him to a wagon wheel and spinning him as it bemused them over a low fire. Eventually, his brain cooks and he dies.

We are in a cowboy and arabs mode now. That might be a good idea.