PDA

View Full Version : A Real Christian.

Gem
02-28-2007, 03:16 PM
Published on Thursday, March 24, 2005

Romero calls us to live in solidarity with the poor and oppressed, to think with them, feel with them, walk with them, stand with them, and become one with them.

www.commondreams.org/views05/0324-21.htm

Gem

Mr. P
02-28-2007, 03:21 PM
Gem

So nice to see ya, kid!

Nienna
02-28-2007, 03:24 PM
Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. (James 1:27)

5stringJeff
02-28-2007, 04:05 PM
Good to see you again Gem! :thumb:

BTW, the word "justice" appears 20 times in that article. And I have a feeling that "justice," in the sense that commondreams.org means it, equals government-imposed wealth redistribution. So I'll politely say no thanks, as I continue to give (voluntarily) to other charities that help the poor.

Gem
02-28-2007, 04:14 PM
So nice to see ya, kid!

OKAAAY..., who do I know from Georgia? :D

It's all about control? Absolutely!

Why do you have to press '1' for English? I dunno. Could be worse. You could speak Dutch and be fourteenth on the list! At least you're still number one! :laugh:

Gem
:)

Gem
02-28-2007, 04:20 PM
Good to see you again Gem! :thumb:

BTW, the word "justice" appears 20 times in that article. And I have a feeling that "justice," in the sense that commondreams.org means it, equals government-imposed wealth redistribution. So I'll politely say no thanks, as I continue to give (voluntarily) to other charities that help the poor.

I don't think there's too many of US liberals that would want to see a totally level playing field. Just a little relief from economic absurdity and a more reasonable economic topography.

Moderation in all things, someone once said. :clap:

Gem

darin
02-28-2007, 04:36 PM
Hey Gem!!! :d

Abbey Marie
02-28-2007, 04:40 PM
Hey Gem!!! :d

This sounds like a different Gem. :dunno:

Gem
02-28-2007, 04:56 PM
This sounds like a different Gem. :dunno:

Howdy Abbey!
Howdy DMP!

I haven't changed that much, Abbey! :420::laugh: I'm just able to shift my center of attention. It's a stage four thing! But I can always go into :flameth: mode!

Gem

TheStripey1
02-28-2007, 05:21 PM

perhaps the government mandates helping those that can't help themselves, Jeff, because more people don't do it on their own...

Abbey Marie
02-28-2007, 05:23 PM
Howdy Abbey!
Howdy DMP!

I haven't changed that much, Abbey! :420::laugh: I'm just able to shift my center of attention. It's a stage four thing! But I can always go into :flameth: mode!

Gem

In that case, it's great to see you, Gem! :D

02-28-2007, 05:36 PM
perhaps the government mandates helping those that can't help themselves, Jeff, because more people don't do it on their own...

You really think that? Politicians take from those that work and make the poor dependent on them to get more votes. If people were actually taught how to work for themselves and govern themselves, politicians wouldn't have issues.

Stealing from others in the name of a noble cause is still stealing.

5stringJeff
02-28-2007, 05:42 PM

So the government should force people to be charitable? Isn't that oxymoronic?

Gem
02-28-2007, 05:54 PM
In that case, it's great to see you, Gem! :D

Great to see you too!

Your Favorite Leftist :salute:

Gem

Gem
03-01-2007, 07:13 PM

I don't know whether it's oxymoronic, Jeff, but I do know that looking out for your neighbor is the Christian thing to do. I also know that being a citizen of a nation entails certain responsibilities, just like being a member of a club does. You need to be willing to pay your dues if you want to be a member in good standing, and paying part of your taxes to help those less fortunate than yourself is part of paying those dues.

Gem
:420:

Nienna
03-01-2007, 07:20 PM
I don't know whether it's oxymoronic, Jeff, but I do know that looking out for your neighbor is the Christian thing to do. I also know that being a citizen of a nation entails certain responsibilities, just like being a member of a club does. You need to be willing to pay your dues if you want to be a member in good standing, and paying part of your taxes to help those less fortunate than yourself is part of paying those dues.

Gem

Those LESS fortunate? I am willing that there should be a few government aid programs. However, many programs give aid to those who simply refuse to do for themselves. If a good Christian is supposed to look out for his neighbor, then HE should do that, not the government, claiming his name.

Gem
03-01-2007, 10:09 PM
Those LESS fortunate? I am willing that there should be a few government aid programs. However, many programs give aid to those who simply refuse to do for themselves. If a good Christian is supposed to look out for his neighbor, then HE should do that, not the government, claiming his name.

Not necessarily true, Nienna. I worked for two years at a homeless shelter, and I agree there were those that simply, out of laziness, wanted and expected the world to take care of them. I agree those individuals need a good kick-start in the ass to get them moving. But I also know, from that experience, that they really are in the minority. Most of those that came through the shelter were those who had serious mental and addiction problems- and those who were working full-time for wages that would barely cover their rent. In the crowd I run with we recognize that these people are indeed mentally and spiritually ill and we recognize that these people do need help. But we also realize that a sane and caring person does not hurt sick people either, or cast them out into the cold and/or let them die.

And, yes, when I was working (I'm on disability now) I did- willingly- give the government my permission to use part of my taxes to help others less fortunate than myself. If I knew for certain that all Americans would be willing to give up ten or fifteen percent of their income to help others I would certainly support that. Unfortunately, my experience is that, mostly due to the self-centeredness of human nature, we cannot depend on that happening. Because of that we do need to enforce, at the government level, some level of basic human responsibility in that regard.

Gem

Abbey Marie
03-01-2007, 10:12 PM
Many of us do give 10-15% to our churches, which in turn do much charitable work with the money. And that way we at least know that our $$ won't go to funding abortions, for example.

Gem
03-01-2007, 10:18 PM
Many of us do give 10-15% to our churches, which in turn do much charitable work with the money. And that way we at least know that our $$ won't go to funding abortions, for example.

I had a suspicion you'd be here shortly! I'm glad to hear you give your ten and fifteen percent to the church. But I also know that it isn't always distributed equitably. It's been more than once where I've gone to a church for emergency help only to be told that because I didn't "belong" to their church they couldn't- or wouldn't- help me. More than once I've also heard the refrain "We take care of our own" from those churches. The needs of the poor and sick will never be adequately addressed with that kind of attitude.

Gem

Mr. P
03-01-2007, 10:26 PM
This isn't the GEM I know.

shattered
03-01-2007, 10:29 PM
This isn't the GEM I know.

Uh uh. Not even close.

Mr. P
03-01-2007, 10:34 PM
Uh uh. Not even close.

More like a gabby, don't ya think?

shattered
03-01-2007, 10:35 PM

Believe it or not, I was thinking that exact same thing... If not, very similar TO...

Gem
03-01-2007, 10:38 PM
Uh uh. Not even close.

Interesting!
What is the "Gem" that you know and love like, since I'm apparently not the Gem you know and love?

Gem
:smoke:

Gem
03-01-2007, 10:40 PM

Wotsa mattah? You're not trying to tell me that I don't have the right to speak my mind now, are ya?

Gem
:laugh:

shattered
03-01-2007, 10:43 PM
Interesting!
What is the "Gem" that you know and love like, since I'm apparently not the Gem you know and love?

Gem

Well, not deceitful, for one... It's wrong of you to come on to a board where everyone knows each other, with a name that's well known to all, and then not bother to tell anyone that you're not who/what they think you are.

If you're going to pretend to be someone you're not, at least get the posting style down pat, first.

Either that, or kindly change your name to avoid any further "confusion", if in fact it was an "accident".

Mr. P
03-01-2007, 10:44 PM
Yup, it's a gabby.

Gem
03-01-2007, 11:05 PM
Well, not deceitful, for one... It's wrong of you to come on to a board where everyone knows each other, with a name that's well known to all, and then not bother to tell anyone that you're not who/what they think you are.

If you're going to pretend to be someone you're not, at least get the posting style down pat, first.

Either that, or kindly change your name to avoid any further "confusion", if in fact it was an "accident".

I've been using the moniker "Gem" for almost three years now, Shattered.

Please C&P where you think I've been deceitful, will you?

BTW, does the word 'gypsies' have any special meaning for you? If it does maybe I'll send some folks thatta way! Could be fun if you know what I mean!

Now, can we get back to the import of the opening post and what it means to be a "real" Christian?

Gem

Abbey Marie
03-01-2007, 11:14 PM
I had a suspicion you'd be here shortly!
Gem

Why is that? :)

Abbey Marie
03-01-2007, 11:18 PM
I've been using the moniker "Gem" for almost three years now, Shattered.

Please C&P where you think I've been deceitful, will you?

BTW, does the word 'gypsies' have any special meaning for you? If it does maybe I'll send some folks thatta way! Could be fun if you know what I mean!

Now, can we get back to the import of the opening post and what it means to be a "real" Christian?

Gem

Gem, I think there has been a misunderstanding. We all knew another Gem, and when you first came on and some said they were glad to see you, they were talking about the other Gem. You probably thought they were talking about you. It seems like an honest mistake by all.

So, anyway,

Hello Gem2, and welcome!

Mr. P
03-01-2007, 11:21 PM
Gem, I think there has been a misunderstanding. We all knew another Gem, and when you first came on and some said they were glad to see you, they were talking about the other Gem. You probably thought they were talking about you. It seems like an honest mistake by all.

So, anyway,

Hello Gem2, and welcome!

Right you are, Abbey..A mistake on my part for sure, I was just looking at the screen name.

Gem
03-01-2007, 11:24 PM
Why is that? :)

It was just a gut feeling that I had! It's a stage four thing- it's broader in scope, if you know what I mean!

Gem

Gem
03-01-2007, 11:31 PM

So, anyway,

Hello Gem2, and welcome!

Thank you for clearing up the misunderstanding, Abbey, and for the welcome.
If it would help I could change my moniker to 'gem2" if that would help, though I'd prefer to keep it as "Gem" since I'm a member of several forums from here to Russia and I use the same moniker in every forum.

Gem

Abbey Marie
03-01-2007, 11:39 PM
Thank you for clearing up the misunderstanding, Abbey, and for the welcome.
If it would help I could change my moniker to 'gem2" if that would help, though I'd prefer to keep it as "Gem" since I'm a member of several forums from here to Russia and I use the same moniker in every forum.

Gem

IMO, it should be OK to keep your name, since Gem "1" has not joined thus far, and we are all clear now.

Btw, I'm sorry for being dense, but I'm not sure what you mean by stage 4. :confused:

Gem
03-01-2007, 11:45 PM
IMO, it should be OK to keep your name, since Gem "1" has not joined thus far, and we are all clear now.

Btw, I'm sorry for being dense, but I'm not sure what you man by stage 4. :confused:

Nah, you're not dense as far as 'stage four' is concerned. Unless you've read and are familiar with Deepak Chopras' book "How to Know God" you'd have no idea what it is I'm talking about. Get the book, it is an interesting read for sure.
It's kinda expensive- about thirty bucks- but I found it well worth the money.

Gem

Abbey Marie
03-01-2007, 11:49 PM
Nah, you're not dense as far as 'stage four' is concerned. Unless you've read and are familiar with Deepak Chopras' book "How to Know God" you'd have no idea what it is I'm talking about. Get the book, it is an interesting read for sure.

Gem

Thanks for explaining. I'm was so afraid it was some awful stage of cancer!

Gem
03-02-2007, 12:28 AM
Thanks for explaining. I'm was so afraid it was some awful stage of cancer!

Not yet, Abbey- though I do love my Marlboros and have for 47 years! Started when I was 10, was a pack-a-day smoker by age 12! Hiked to the top of a 10,500ft peak last summer. Got a couple of hilarious photos of me leaning up against a sign denoting one of the ski runs named "Breathless"! I guess that's just what happens when you come from a long line of long-lived body abusers! They found my great-grandmother, who drank at least quart of a wine every day and smoked ciggies til age 50, switched to cigars until her 70's when she took up the pipe dead in her rocking chair, pipe in her lap and a jug of wine on the floor next to her at age 106! I just got good survival genes, I guess!

Gem
:smoke: :D

Abbey Marie
03-02-2007, 12:33 AM
Not yet, Abbey- though I do love my Marlboros and have for 47 years! Started when I was 10, was a pack-a-day smoker by age 12! Hiked to the top of a 10,500ft peak last summer. Got a couple of hilarious photos of me leaning up against a sign denoting one of the ski runs named "Breathless"! I guess that's just what happens when you come from a long line of long-lived body abusers! They found my great-grandmother, who drank at least quart of a wine every day and smoked ciggies til age 50, switched to cigars until her 70's when she took up the pipe dead in her rocking chair, pipe in her lap and a jug of wine on the floor next to her at age 106! I just got good survival genes, I guess!

Gem
:smoke: :D

Great-granny was livin' large! I'm impressed that you did that hike. :clap:

TheStripey1
03-02-2007, 03:13 PM
You really think that? Politicians take from those that work and make the poor dependent on them to get more votes. If people were actually taught how to work for themselves and govern themselves, politicians wouldn't have issues.

Stealing from others in the name of a noble cause is still stealing.

Taught? why you're beginning to sound like a liberal, Ava...

:dance:

TheStripey1
03-02-2007, 03:14 PM

no, the government is charitable because people aren't...

TheStripey1
03-02-2007, 03:14 PM

Gem

good point...

TheStripey1
03-02-2007, 03:17 PM

why just HE? Shouldn't all the SHE's also be good Christians?

TheStripey1
03-02-2007, 03:19 PM
Not necessarily true, Nienna. I worked for two years at a homeless shelter, and I agree there were those that simply, out of laziness, wanted and expected the world to take care of them. I agree those individuals need a good kick-start in the ass to get them moving. But I also know, from that experience, that they really are in the minority. Most of those that came through the shelter were those who had serious mental and addiction problems- and those who were working full-time for wages that would barely cover their rent. In the crowd I run with we recognize that these people are indeed mentally and spiritually ill and we recognize that these people do need help. But we also realize that a sane and caring person does not hurt sick people either, or cast them out into the cold and/or let them die.

And, yes, when I was working (I'm on disability now) I did- willingly- give the government my permission to use part of my taxes to help others less fortunate than myself. If I knew for certain that all Americans would be willing to give up ten or fifteen percent of their income to help others I would certainly support that. Unfortunately, my experience is that, mostly due to the self-centeredness of human nature, we cannot depend on that happening. Because of that we do need to enforce, at the government level, some level of basic human responsibility in that regard.

Gem

very well said... :clap:

as an ex-republican, I never really looked at Government charity in that light before you wrote this... gonna have to ponder this for a bit.

TheStripey1
03-02-2007, 03:21 PM

That's good, but how many other americans do? I'd wager that you and yours are in the minority, not the majority.

TheStripey1
03-02-2007, 03:23 PM
Interesting!

Gem

obviously not a lefty... :lmao:

TheStripey1
03-02-2007, 03:26 PM

now how would he/she know that? He/she just got here... and as I recall, this board is NEW... cuz all of your join dates are January '07...

he/she could have known you elsewhere...

is the "gem" you know here? well, obviously not, otherwise this "gem" wouldn't have been able to use it...

TheStripey1
03-02-2007, 03:29 PM

Gem

Doesn't he also have a video? Because I believe I have seen it at my local BlockBuster. Maybe I'll rent it this weekend...

Abbey Marie
03-02-2007, 03:31 PM
now how would he/she know that? He/she just got here... and as I recall, this board is NEW... cuz all of your join dates are January '07...

he/she could have known you elsewhere...

is the "gem" you know here? well, obviously not, otherwise this "gem" wouldn't have been able to use it...

First, you know nothing about the original Gem, or board history, so your comments don't make much sense. More importantly, this has already been discussed and resolved, as you can easily see by reading this thread. Why stir the pot?

Mr. P
03-02-2007, 03:46 PM
very well said... :clap:

as an ex-republican, I never really looked at Government charity in that light before you wrote this... gonna have to ponder this for a bit.

Ponder this while you’re at it, there IS NO government Charity, it’s redistribution of wealth. No? Charity is voluntary, taxes are at the point of a gun.

Sitarro
03-02-2007, 03:47 PM
no, the government is charitable because people aren't...

When the tax write offs were killed, so was charitable giving.

Politicians made it that way. There used to be a time where we were rewarded for our contributions to charity with tax write offs, but politicians stepped in and put an end to that. The whiners that bitched about the fat cats getting tax write offs for business lunches opened the door for politicians to act against them and who actually suffers? The business lunch guy probably doesn't, he can afford to buy lunch for himself but the restaurant and all of it's employees are hurt, and the tax revenue from the restaurant is less. Tax write offs for equipment needed for business gets the business to upgrade more often giving work for the suppliers.
When the government gets involved in anything, it is done more expensively and is much less effective.

What it really comes down to is leftist politicians using the poor through class envy to gain power to steal money from those that produce to buy votes from the least informed and therefore more gullible.

Gem
03-03-2007, 03:19 AM
obviously not a lefty... :lmao:

LOL!!! :dance:

stephanie
03-03-2007, 04:18 AM
Slap each other on the butt...Whoo hoo

:dance: :lmao:

Gunny
03-03-2007, 12:24 PM
Taught? why you're beginning to sound like a liberal, Ava...

:dance:

Those people sitting around with their hands out waiting on Big Brother to come tell them to get out from in front of a Cat 5 hurricane NEED to be "re-taught." They've already been "taught" to be so dependent on the Nanny state that they've lost even their natural instinct for self-preservation.

Gunny
03-03-2007, 12:26 PM
That's good, but how many other americans do? I'd wager that you and yours are in the minority, not the majority.

I don't know an exact number, but almost all people who are actual members of a church fork up the requisite 10%. At least that was my observation growing up in the Baptist church.

Gem
03-03-2007, 02:28 PM
Doesn't he also have a video? Because I believe I have seen it at my local BlockBuster. Maybe I'll rent it this weekend...

Chopra might have a video but but I'm not sure. I'm not much of a TV or movie watcher so I don't have a VCR. Life is waaay too interesting and there's waaay to much to do and get into to be hanging around staring at an idiot box! Just my opinion, you understand!

Gem

Gem
03-03-2007, 03:05 PM
Ponder this while you’re at it, there IS NO government Charity, it’s redistribution of wealth. No? Charity is voluntary, taxes are at the point of a gun.

Mr P, I don't ever recall being ordered to pay taxes at the point of a gun. I think what you said is a bit of an exaggeration. I was told that paying taxes was mandantory, true. But I was also told, in general, what the taxes I would be paying were helping pay for, and I knew that some of those taxes were going to go for things I didn't approve of either- like highly inflated prices for things like toilet seats and hammers for the Pentagon and the military. But I also knew that those taxes would be spent for things that I did approve of, and the positives out-weighed the negatives as far as I was concerned. Since what I would have left over after taxes allowed me to live reasonably well- in the 60's and 70's anyway- I was more than happy to pay those taxes. Were there things I would have loved to spend those tax dollars on instead? You bet! But I also felt good about doing my part to help my fellow man and my country by paying those taxes. I learned a long time ago that the world doesn't just revolve around "me". Everytime I listen to people crying about how "It's my money, I earned it and it belongs to me" all I hear is "Me, me, me, me, me!!!" In the crowd I run with we consider such points of view and attitudes selfish, self- justifying, self-centered and self- seeking childish behavior, Mr. P.
It isn't all about you, you know!

Gem
:salute:

Mr. P
03-03-2007, 03:56 PM
Mr P, I don't ever recall being ordered to pay taxes at the point of a gun. I think what you said is a bit of an exaggeration. I was told that paying taxes was mandantory, true. But I was also told, in general, what the taxes I would be paying were helping pay for, and I knew that some of those taxes were going to go for things I didn't approve of either- like highly inflated prices for things like toilet seats and hammers for the Pentagon and the military. But I also knew that those taxes would be spent for things that I did approve of, and the positives out-weighed the negatives as far as I was concerned. Since what I would have left over after taxes allowed me to live reasonably well- in the 60's and 70's anyway- I was more than happy to pay those taxes. Were there things I would have loved to spend those tax dollars on instead? You bet! But I also felt good about doing my part to help my fellow man and my country by paying those taxes. I learned a long time ago that the world doesn't just revolve around "me". Everytime I listen to people crying about how "It's my money, I earned it and it belongs to me" all I hear is "Me, me, me, me, me!!!" In the crowd I run with we consider such points of view and attitudes selfish, self- justifying, self-centered and self- seeking childish behavior, Mr. P.
It isn't all about you, you know!

Gem

Don't pay tax then and see who shows up at the door. Be sure to note if they have guns, I promise they will.

You keep right on helping folks, that's fine, just leave me out, I'll decide who and when to help.

And yes the money I make IS mine, I don't work for YOU nor anyone else, I work for me. Like it or not what's mine IS NOT YOURS.

Gunny
03-03-2007, 04:09 PM
Don't pay tax then and see who shows up at the door. Be sure to note if they have guns, I promise they will.

You keep right on helping folks, that's fine, just leave me out, I'll decide who and when to help.

And yes the money I make IS mine, I don't work for YOU nor anyone else, I work for me. Like it or not what's mine IS NOT YOURS.

I think it absolutely SUCKS that I basically work one day a week for free. Had 8 hours overtime last week. I netted $17 of the difference between that and my gross, regular pay.

And I totally agree .... what's mine AIN'T yours. Get out there and bust your butt like I do and get your own.

Gem
03-03-2007, 06:05 PM

I paid my taxes, Mr. P. That's why I was awarded disability when I was disabled. I busted my ass to earn the money to pay the taxes to be eligible for those benefits. [B]I earned it!!![/B Didja get that, Mr. P?

That's also why they (the feds) won't be showing up at my door- but they might, if I'm hearing you correctly, show up at yours! Then you're going to have to do the :dance: !!!

Enjoy!

Gem

Gem

Missileman
03-03-2007, 06:20 PM
I don't know how you folks confused this Gem with the one from USMB. The old Gem was brilliant...this one's a couple facets short of a sparkle. :lmao:

Gunny
03-03-2007, 06:25 PM
I paid my taxes, Mr. P. That's why I was awarded disability when I was disabled. I busted my ass to earn the money to pay the taxes to be eligible for those benefits. [B]I earned it!!![/B Didja get that, Mr. P?

That's also why they (the feds) won't be showing up at my door- but they might, if I'm hearing you correctly, show up at yours! Then you're going to have to do the :dance: !!!

Enjoy!

Gem

Gem

You're arguing a completely different point than P addressed. Not very sporting, to say the least.

Mr. P
03-03-2007, 06:28 PM
I don't know how you folks confused this Gem with the one from USMB. The old Gem was brilliant...this one's a couple facets short of a sparkle. :lmao:

Way short a couple facets of a sparkle..it was a mistake, just based on screen name.

I'd love to see the 'Gem' over here.

Mr. P
03-03-2007, 07:10 PM
You're arguing a completely different point than P addressed. Not very sporting, to say the least.

Typical when there is no defense of their position, ain’t it?

Gunny
03-04-2007, 01:14 PM
Typical when there is no defense of their position, ain’t it?

That's my take on the situation.

CockySOB
03-04-2007, 01:33 PM

I must spread Reputation around... yada, yada, yada.

shattered
03-04-2007, 08:36 PM
I must spread Reputation around... yada, yada, yada.

Got ya covered.

Gem
03-04-2007, 10:59 PM

Well, smart guy, I bet you didn't know this- that stones cut sloppily generally have more facets than a properly cut one. They sparkle more, sure, but the quality stones that are cut properly have a far higher value.

You might want to consider not making such judgements about people until you know a little more about them. They might know more about something than you do!

Get the picture?

Gem:fu:

Missileman
03-04-2007, 11:22 PM
Well, smart guy, I bet you didn't know this- that stones cut sloppily generally have more facets than a properly cut one. They sparkle more, sure, but the quality stones that are cut properly have a far higher value.

You might want to consider not making such judgements about people until you know a little more about them. They might know more about something than you do!

Get the picture?

Gem:fu:

The degree of my knowledge of gem cutting has no bearing on my ability to recognize the difference in posting style and doesn't change the inferior quality of your posts as compared to the Gem that some of the other posters assumed you were.

If I seem a bit unfriendly, it's because I get riled up whenever I hear some Commie-Pinko suggest that I need to fork over more of my hard earned money to improve the quality of life for some lazy POS that won't make the effort himself.

I started working when I was 12, giving damned near every cent I earned to my parents so we could barely scrape by. In my sophmore year in HS, I was working 50-60 hours a week on top of going to school. Thirty years later, after a career in the military where I learned marketable skills, I'm finally making a comfortable living.

If I can do it, anyone else can.

LOki
03-05-2007, 05:43 AM

Gem
:420:Real Christians don't force people to act Christian at gunpoint...

...or maybe that's what they really do. :dev: