PDA

View Full Version : Air Force jet crashes on training mission in North Texas

LiberalNation
05-01-2008, 10:40 AM
There's several million dollars down the drain. Hope the pilot survived.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080501/ap_on_re_us/military_jet_crash;_ylt=AmLlopL9.SMa_lWLWveafy5vzw cF

WICHITA FALLS, Texas - Emergency crews at Sheppard Air Force base are responding to a jet that crashed on a training mission.

A spokeswoman says the high-altitude, supersonic T-38C Talon went down about 7:45 a.m. Thursday.

It was not known how many were on board or whether there are any deaths or injuries.

A base official tells KAUZ-TV in Wichita Falls that the crash happened on base. Witnesses say they saw one person eject.

hjmick
05-01-2008, 10:49 AM
An RAF pilot just trashed a $136.3 million Typhoon fighter out here at China Lake. He forgot to put the landing gear down.

Little-Acorn
05-01-2008, 11:54 AM
My body
My sexuality
My uterus
My vagina
My morals
My life

Not yours.

No, it's the baby's life.

Not yours.

Pale Rider
05-01-2008, 12:05 PM
There's several million dollars down the drain. Hope the pilot survived.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080501/ap_on_re_us/military_jet_crash;_ylt=AmLlopL9.SMa_lWLWveafy5vzw cF

WICHITA FALLS, Texas - Emergency crews at Sheppard Air Force base are responding to a jet that crashed on a training mission.

A spokeswoman says the high-altitude, supersonic T-38C Talon went down about 7:45 a.m. Thursday.

It was not known how many were on board or whether there are any deaths or injuries.

A base official tells KAUZ-TV in Wichita Falls that the crash happened on base. Witnesses say they saw one person eject.

In the eight years I spent in the Air Force, I saw two F-16's and one A-10 crash, one F-4D burn on the ramp, and one C-140 clip off the tip of one of it's wings against a mountain, but still safely land. The A-10 pilot was the only one killed.

LiberalNation
05-02-2008, 12:49 AM
Seems like these pilots died. Sad to hear.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080501/ap_on_re_us/military_jet_crash;_ylt=Am0i8Kn9.0JeVkxmE69VXYRvzw cF

Air Force suspends training jet following 2nd fatal crash

WICHITA FALLS, Texas - The Air Force grounded all T-38C training jets on Thursday, following the second fatal crash involving the aircraft in eight days, the military said.

Two pilots died when their high-altitude, supersonic plane went down during a routine training mission, according a statement from Sheppard Air Force Base.

The two-seat plane was assigned to the 80th Flying Training Wing, a multinational organization that produces future combat pilots for NATO. The names of the airmen were not immediately released.

The crash follows the deaths of two pilots whose training jet crashed April 23 at Columbus Air Force Base in Mississippi.

"At this point we have no indication that there was any tie between the two," said Capt. John Severns, Chief of Media Relations for Air Education Training Command at Randolph Air Force Base near San Antonio.

The Air Force suspended all T-38 flights pending the investigations into what caused the two planes to go down. The jets are used to prepare student pilots to fly fighters and bombers.

"Until we have more complete understanding of the causes of both accidents, it's prudent to stand down the T-38s" said General William R. Looney III, the commander who issued the order.

The Air Force has about 500 of the aircraft in its inventory.

First deployed in 1959, the jet has been linked to 138 fatalities and some 189 crashes, according to the Air Force Safety Center.

Of 16 fatalities related to crashes at Sheppard Air Force Base since 1967, all but six involved T-38s.

hjmick
05-02-2008, 09:47 AM
Flying military jets can be a dangerous thing. Hell, flying civilian planes can be dangerous. I hope the find out what happened and remedy the problem if they can.

DragonStryk72
05-02-2008, 10:32 AM
No, it's the baby's life.

Not yours.

think you meant to post that on a different thread