PDA

View Full Version : Board Upgrade - 5/2 am

jimnyc
05-01-2008, 05:11 PM
I've finally renewed my yearly "support" license with vB as they released their latest version of software today. I will be upgrading the board to the latest software early tomorrow morning, somewhere between 4-6am EST.

The new software patches a lot of issues, strengthens security, adds functionality to the board & allows me to download/purchase the latest enhancements for the board.

I'll update everyone when the upgrade is complete tomorrow.

jimnyc
05-02-2008, 05:46 AM
upgrade has been completed

jimnyc
05-02-2008, 05:47 AM
Please report any issues in this thread. I'll update in a little while what changes you can expect with this latest version.

glockmail
05-02-2008, 07:56 AM
Isn't it great how software companies make us pay for "patches" to cover up mistakes in their earlier versions? If automotive companies sold defective cars they would be sued out of existence. What other industry gets away with that?

jimnyc
05-02-2008, 08:02 AM
Isn't it great how software companies make us pay for "patches" to cover up mistakes in their earlier versions? If automotive companies sold defective cars they would be sued out of existence. What other industry gets away with that?

Just had this conversation with my brother yesterday. The vBulletin owned license cost me $180 or so. With that, you get one year of free updates. Whenever a "patch" or new release comes out, you can upgrade for free. Once your year is up, you must pay a $30 renewal fee (now $40), and that gives you another year of new releases and patches.

If it was just patches I would be pissed, but Jelsoft, the company who makes this software, is always increasing the functionality of the software and making it better and better.

PostmodernProphet
05-02-2008, 10:10 AM
just a thought....I don't like the little green "activity bar"....it seems to measure my participation here against the standard of RSR, who shows a 100% against my 8%....since Acts is likely the only person who could out post Red, why even bother to show this on the board......

manu1959
05-02-2008, 01:30 PM
just a thought....I don't like the little green "activity bar"....it seems to measure my participation here against the standard of RSR, who shows a 100% against my 8%....since Acts is likely the only person who could out post Red, why even bother to show this on the board......

are you sure you aren't a liberal...............:poke:

PostmodernProphet
05-02-2008, 01:33 PM
are you sure you aren't a liberal...............:poke:

well, I don't post liberally.....:coffee:

glockmail
05-02-2008, 02:05 PM
Just had this conversation with my brother yesterday. The vBulletin owned license cost me $180 or so. With that, you get one year of free updates. Whenever a "patch" or new release comes out, you can upgrade for free. Once your year is up, you must pay a $30 renewal fee (now $40), and that gives you another year of new releases and patches.

If it was just patches I would be pissed, but Jelsoft, the company who makes this software, is always increasing the functionality of the software and making it better and better.
That's how they get you to keep upgrading. And $40 isn't bad for the latest bells a whistles. That's better that the deal AutoCad tries to sell me, where a "subscription" would cost me $1000 or so. So I have to buy AutoCad LT, with less functionality for $$800, and if I don't "upgrade" for $3-400 within 3 or 4 years I lose the ability to upgrade.

But its a funny industry, unlike any other that I can think of. They get the consumers to do the advanced beta testing for them, do their own installs, after they sold them the product. And other than the costs of some blank CDs, paper, a box to put it in, and manpower to copy and assemble, the production costs are zero. If they distribute on line, production costs are zero.

jimnyc
05-03-2008, 06:02 AM

Those bars were annoying, they've been removed.

In case anyone hasn't looked yet, try looking at another members profile. It's been enhanced with a tabbed view and looks much better.

PostmodernProphet
05-03-2008, 12:17 PM
Those bars were annoying, they've been removed.

In case anyone hasn't looked yet, try looking at another members profile. It's been enhanced with a tabbed view and looks much better.

that is so sad....it says jimmyc hasn't made any friends yet......

Kathianne
05-03-2008, 12:25 PM

LOL! I noticed that too! Poor Jim!

jimnyc
05-03-2008, 12:29 PM

Neither of you bastards have any either! :coffee:

That's something new with the upgrade. I also just noticed that you can send another a regular PM, or "post a visitor" message on their profile page.

jimnyc
05-03-2008, 12:30 PM

BTW - that would only be 2 less than in real life anyway - Jerome and Porter!

Kathianne
05-03-2008, 12:31 PM
Neither of you bastards have any either! :coffee:

That's something new with the upgrade. I also just noticed that you can send another a regular PM, or "post a visitor" message on their profile page.

I can't be a bastard! ;) I really do like how the profile looks, much nicer. Thanks Jim!

red states rule
05-03-2008, 06:17 PM

See Jim, I knew you would find a good way to use the $59 bucks

The board looks much better :clap:

gabosaurus
05-04-2008, 08:22 PM
RSR is still here. How can you say that the board has been upgraded? :laugh2:

82Marine89
05-04-2008, 08:26 PM
Can you install iespell.com or something similar for our sanity? Grammar check would be nice as well, but I'm not sure if that one has been invented yet.

jimnyc
05-04-2008, 08:39 PM
Can you install iespell.com or something similar for our sanity? Grammar check would be nice as well, but I'm not sure if that one has been invented yet.

A couple years ago, for an older version of vB, there used to be a spellcheck plugin. The author pulled it though and I haven't seen another since. I'll peek around though and see if anything is around.

There are plenty of hacks / add-ons that people can use for their browsers that will allow them to automatically check spelling in any forms they type into - like IEspell. My experience has shown me that those who are "under educated" generally don't care enough about the appearance of their intelligence to be bothered.

Gaffer
05-04-2008, 08:44 PM
Firefox has a built in spell checker. Works great, though I sometimes purposely misspell words or purposely not capitalize because of my disdain of them like islam, muslim, mfm.

82Marine89
05-04-2008, 08:45 PM
I use firefox on my home computer. This is a business laptop. My computer is sick.

gabosaurus
05-05-2008, 11:14 AM
Firefox not only has a spell check function, it has Ad-Block. Which helps me block all the annoying ads on pages, to help them load quicker.

glockmail
05-05-2008, 12:10 PM
I'd like to see more enhanced features, like this: http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z256/glockmail/enhanced.jpg

Yurt
05-05-2008, 02:17 PM
not sure those would pass the CA proposed balloon ban :coffee:

gabosaurus
05-06-2008, 08:56 AM
not sure those would pass the CA proposed balloon ban :coffee:

Obviously she lives in Silicon Valley. :lmao: