PDA

View Full Version : Downloads

Mr. P
05-02-2008, 07:48 PM
What's the best site to use for downloading music? Speed, selection, price?

I'm just looking into it. I don't care about entire albums just select single songs, you know, old fart stuff. :laugh2:

jackass
05-02-2008, 08:30 PM

I'm just looking into it. I don't care about entire albums just select single songs, you know, old fart stuff. :laugh2:

:lol: he said PRICE!!! :lol:
www.bearshare.com

Mr. P
05-02-2008, 08:41 PM
:lol: he said PRICE!!! :lol:
www.bearshare.com

Indeed I did sir! I could not in good conscience steal someones work.

I'll check the link..Thanks!

Noir
05-02-2008, 08:46 PM
meh...stealing...borrowing...its all the same nowadays, aslong as you pay for it somewhere along the line i think its ok, shame the law doesn't

manu1959
05-02-2008, 08:47 PM

we use itunes.......but they don't have a lot of stuff....

Mr. P
05-02-2008, 08:51 PM
we use itunes.......but they don't have a lot of stuff....

That's disappointing, I heard they had a lot but I haven't checked em out yet.

manu1959
05-02-2008, 08:52 PM
That's disappointing, I heard they had a lot but I haven't checked em out yet.

you should check it out....i have quirky music tastes.......

Gadget (fmr Marine)
05-02-2008, 09:25 PM
I use yahoo music (as it was what came with my Sirius Stiletto 100) It has a good slection of music.....old and new, including some of my favorite "gems" that no one listens to much....

I don't care much for folks that steal anything.....even if it is easy, and everyone is doing it....it is not right. Stealing without paying those who wrote, performed, produced and engineered the music we enjoy is a pretty shitty thing to do...I hope it weighs on your conscience that you are taking money out of the mouths of those who have, in many cases, given much of thier lives to their art.....it is a shameful thing to do......(I have many friends in the music business, and know their families as well....it is a personal issue with me)

jackass
05-02-2008, 09:30 PM
Actually doesnt bother me at all. Are you to say you have never taped a song of the radio, taped a movie off the tv? Isnt that the same thing?

Noir
05-02-2008, 09:31 PM
I don't care much for folks that steal anything.....even if it is easy, and everyone is doing it....it is not right. Stealing without paying those who wrote, performed, produced and engineered the music we enjoy is a pretty shitty thing to do...I hope it weighs on your conscience that you are taking money out of the mouths of those who have, in many cases, given much of thier lives to their art.....it is a shameful thing to do......(I have many friends in the music business, and know their families as well....it is a personal issue with me)

I think it depends on the circumstances, if i saw a new band promoting their new album with a single, i will not go out and buy their album, i'll download most of the album first, if i like them then i'll happily buy the album and alls good, if not then they're sent to the recycling bin and i've saved 10 quid, everyones happy. But i do agree that downloading without any intent to buy is killing the music industry as we know it.

Mr. P
05-02-2008, 09:43 PM
Actually doesnt bother me at all. Are you to say you have never taped a song of the radio, taped a movie off the tv? Isnt that the same thing?

Good point JA..But it is different. A movie broadcast over the airways comes with a price payed to those who produce and make it..through advertising $$ collected. So these folks are being compensated for their work. Same with songs played on the radio..every time a song is played they receive x$.

Gaffer
05-03-2008, 08:03 AM
Here's a couple of sites where you can get free oldies. The last one has rare and unusual songs that you don't hear any more or never made the top 40.

http://www.angelsmusic.com/

http://www.mrimpau.com/oldies.html

http://get-me.to/goldenoldies

Sitarro
05-03-2008, 12:56 PM

Apple's itunes store is now 5 years old and has sold over 2 billion songs. They have a 6 million song selection, no writing restrictions and are downloading a higher bit rate(256 kbps) so they sound even better..... all for 99 cents or 9.99 for a complete album. They also offer a lot of performances that were recorded just for itunes, many live. Movies, TV shows(American Idol) and audiobooks are also available. :salute:

Mr. P
05-03-2008, 01:13 PM
Apple's itunes store is now 5 years old and has sold over 2 billion songs. They have a 6 million song selection, no writing restrictions and are downloading a higher bit rate(256 kbps) so they sound even better..... all for 99 cents or 9.99 for a complete album. They also offer a lot of performances that were recorded just for itunes, many live. Movies, TV shows(American Idol) and audiobooks are also available. :salute:

Thanks Sitarro. I looked at the site this morning, I think that's where I'll go
I just need to download the program from their site. 6 million songs and audio books sound great! :cheers2:

jackass
05-04-2008, 07:56 PM
Good point JA..But it is different. A movie broadcast over the airways comes with a price payed to those who produce and make it..through advertising $$ collected. So these folks are being compensated for their work. Same with songs played on the radio..every time a song is played they receive x$.

True...but that is just for them to be able top broadcast it. It really doesnt make it ok that someone would tape it off the radio or tv.

Mr. P
05-04-2008, 09:14 PM
True...but that is just for them to be able top broadcast it. It really doesnt make it ok that someone would tape it off the radio or tv.

My guess is all the copying from the broadcast is statistically factored into the cost payed to the artist for the broadcast, if not, I need to be an agent.

Granted they're not payed as much as they would be if one bought the movie, the point being they're payed for it.

82Marine89
05-04-2008, 09:18 PM

Sinner.

jackass
05-05-2008, 04:14 PM
Sinner.

Only the good die young....

midcan5
05-05-2008, 05:03 PM
I find Amazon excellent.

http://www.amazon.com/MP3-Music-Download/b/ref=sa_menu_dmusic2?ie=UTF8&node=163856011

Gadget (fmr Marine)
05-06-2008, 03:40 PM

Nope, I haven't. I am not a thief, and do not steal. I don't take candy bars from mini markets, either, it is stealing, also. No difference!

jackass
05-06-2008, 07:49 PM
Nope, I haven't. I am not a thief, and do not steal. I don't take candy bars from mini markets, either, it is stealing, also. No difference!

Sorry, but I dont believe you.

dan
05-07-2008, 10:15 AM

If the prices of candy bars were jacked up to astronomical rates and they were made very easy to take, and I knew that the people responsible for creating the candy bar were making pretty much nothing on it, I'd have no problem doing so.

Mr. P
05-07-2008, 04:35 PM
If the prices of candy bars were jacked up to astronomical rates and they were made very easy to take, and I knew that the people responsible for creating the candy bar were making pretty much nothing on it, I'd have no problem doing so.

Guess that means you'd drive away from a gas pump without paying too, No? The price is high but the store owner only makes pennies/gal if they're lucky. :slap:

jackass
05-07-2008, 06:59 PM
Guess that means you'd drive away from a gas pump without paying too, No? The price is high but the store owner only makes pennies/gal if they're lucky. :slap:

I tried that a couple times...seems they always catch me for some reason! :laugh2:

dan
05-07-2008, 09:43 PM

It's not easy to steal gas. If I could steal gas, with relatively little chance of getting caught, with the click of a button from my couch you'd better believe I'd be doing it!

Gadget (fmr Marine)
05-07-2008, 11:05 PM

So, if it were easy to steal $500,000 you would do it?

I don't steal.....I don't download music without paying, I don't steal candy bars (even if they were expensive), and I pay my own way.....

Call me old fashioned and honest....stealing ain't right, no matter how you want to justify it....I sleep soundly at night.

INTEGRITY....it's doing the right thing even when no one is watching you.

Sleep well!

(BTW....this is directed at jackass.....)

dan
05-08-2008, 08:12 AM

I don't steal.....I don't download music without paying, I don't steal candy bars (even if they were expensive), and I pay my own way.....

Call me old fashioned and honest....stealing ain't right, no matter how you want to justify it....I sleep soundly at night.

Sleep well!

Fair enough. I'm not one of those people who differentiates between pirating and stealing, I know it's illegal and technically wrong. To be fair, if it's a band I really like, I always buy their albums, never download. And there have been plenty of bands who I've downloaded their music, liked them, and then either bought their CD or went to a concert and got some merch (which is more profitable for the musicians anyway).

As far as legal online avenues, I've only used Amazon.com, one time, but I didn't have any trouble with them at all.

jackass
05-08-2008, 02:21 PM

Sleep well!

I do everynight. Thanks!!

(BTW...this is directed at Mr. Holier than thou...)

Gadget (fmr Marine)
05-09-2008, 10:49 PM
I do everynight. Thanks!!

(BTW...this is directed at Mr. Holier than thou...)

Not holier than thou, my friend, that connotes some sort of ecclesiastical leanings, which I generally abhor.....

I find it wrong to steal. Not making any judgements on you, just pointing out a difference in what I find acceptable in a civilized society that does it's best to follow rules and laws.

You have also questioned my integrity....that looks good on you.

Have a great weekend.

Pale Rider
05-10-2008, 07:25 PM

I'm just looking into it. I don't care about entire albums just select single songs, you know, old fart stuff.

This is the one I like to use... mgn.musicgiants.com It's not MP3 crap. It's high definition sound for the critical ear and audiophile.

But if you don't really give a damn what you're music sounds like, and all you'll ever listen to it on is an MP3 player and ear buds or some mini component system with plastic speaker cases, go for a cheap site like www.rhapsody.com.