PDA

View Full Version : Report: U.S. May Send 7,000 More Service Members to Afghanistan

Pale Rider
05-04-2008, 06:09 AM
Report: U.S. May Send 7,000 More Service Members to Afghanistan

Saturday, May 03, 2008
Fox News

Some 7,000 U.S. troops soon may have to pack their bags for Afghanistan if the Pentagon goes through with plans to make up for a shortfall in military personnel from NATO, The New York Times reported on Saturday.

If the proposal moves forward, Bush administration officials say, the service members would be sent to increase U.S. troop levels in Afghanistan to about 40,000, requiring a modest troop reduction in Iraq, the newspaper says.

The Times reported the plan is in response to NATO’s reluctance or inability to contribute a sufficient number of troops despite allies’ vows of their commitment to help.

Article continues here... (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,354060,00.html)

Gaffer
05-04-2008, 02:57 PM
Our nato allies showing their true colors. They are fast becoming as relevant as the un.

actsnoblemartin
05-04-2008, 03:03 PM
and as brave as the french

Our nato allies showing their true colors. They are fast becoming as relevant as the un.

LiberalNation
05-04-2008, 03:07 PM
The Brits and Canadians have both sent in troops. SHouldn't undercount them, they did help out in our wars.

mundame
05-05-2008, 08:32 AM
The Brits and Canadians have both sent in troops. SHouldn't undercount them, they did help out in our wars.

Not enough to actually WIN anything.

The next Dem prez has to get us out of BOTH these stupid, losing wars, or Afghanistan will simply become the Next Big Scandal, and THAT war will eat the Clinton presidency like Iraq has eaten up the Bush presidency.

Okay, I'm making some questionable assumptions here that Obama is finished, I realize. http://forums.offtopic.com/images/smilies/happysad.gif

gabosaurus
05-06-2008, 11:53 PM
The rest of the world is coming to its senses and realizing that they no longer need to support Bush's Folly.
"Why should we send our people to get killed in the Bush War? Let Bush send his own people to get killed."

Pale Rider
05-07-2008, 06:48 AM
The rest of the world is coming to its senses and realizing that they no longer need to support Bush's Folly.
"Why should we send our people to get killed in the Bush War? Let Bush send his own people to get killed."

Fact of the matter is, we should NOT be "going it alone" in these wars. Well... this may have started out a war, but now it's occupying and nation building. No wonder the rest of the world is absent with their support. We shouldn't be doing it either.

We should fight when need be, otherwise, keep our damn noses out of other countries business.

mundame
05-07-2008, 09:01 AM
this may have started out a war, but now it's occupying and nation building. No wonder the rest of the world is absent with their support. We shouldn't be doing it either.

We should fight when need be, otherwise, keep our damn noses out of other countries business.

Fight and actually WIN would be nice, just for a change. I guess I'm asking too much, though.

But since we always confuse our enemies with our newest bestest friends (they are not under a similar confusion: they know we are invaders and they immediately start a guerrilla war) ------ we can't win because we never know we actually have an enemy until too late.

That's what comes of invading other people's countries to "help" them, as if an invasion is ever viewed as helpful by the people invaded.

Gaffer
05-07-2008, 03:17 PM
You invade another country to conquer it. Whether its for malevolent or benevolent reasons. Once there you have a choice. utterly destroy the population, or put a government in place that is sympathetic to you. If you just pull out without doing either of the above you are guaranteed that there will be a hostile government in place in that country and somewhere down the road you will have to go back again.

mundame
05-07-2008, 03:31 PM
You invade another country to conquer it.

I wish you'd tell the Pentagon this; they don't seem to know it.

namvet
05-07-2008, 04:14 PM

"Why should we send our people to get killed in FDR's War? Let FDR send his own people to get killed

well they did say the same about his war to............:poke:

namvet
05-07-2008, 04:15 PM
I wish you'd tell the Pentagon this; they don't seem to know it.

just curious. is your avatar the gal that starred in blade runner??? she's a spittin' image.

Gaffer
05-07-2008, 04:37 PM
well they did say the same about his war to............:poke:

I think your gonna fit in real well here.

mundame
05-08-2008, 10:45 AM
just curious. is your avatar the gal that starred in blade runner??? she's a spittin' image.

Yes; several of you film buffs have IDed her.