PDA

View Full Version : Shark Attacks Blamed on Global Warming

red states rule
05-05-2008, 04:34 PM
Is there anything the kook left will not blame on Global warming (or is it climate change?)

Surge in fatal shark attacks blamed on global warming

Three decades have passed since the movie Jaws sent terrified bathers scrambling out of the ocean. But as any beach lifeguard knows, there's still nothing like a gory shark attack to stoke public hysteria and paranoia.

Two deaths in the waters off California and Mexico last week and a spate of shark-inflicted injuries to surfers off Florida's Atlantic coast have left beachgoers seeking an explanation for a sudden surge in the number of strikes.

In the first four months of this year, there were four fatal shark attacks worldwide, compared with one in the whole of 2007, according to the International Shark Attack File at the Florida Museum of Natural History in Gainesville.

'The one thing that's affecting shark attacks more than anything else is human activity,' said Dr George Burgess of Florida University, a shark expert who maintains the database. 'As the population continues to rise, so does the number of people in the water for recreation. And as long as we have an increase in human hours in the water, we will have an increase in shark bites.'

Some experts suggest that an abundance of seals has attracted high numbers of sharks, while others believe that overfishing has hit their food chain. 'I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but it's a convenient excuse,' Burgess said. Another contributory factor to the location of shark attacks could be global warming and rising sea temperatures. 'You'll find that some species will begin to appear in places they didn't in the past with some regularity,' he said.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/may/04/wildlife.climatechange

Yurt
05-05-2008, 08:49 PM
Is there anything the kook left will not blame on Global warming (or is it climate change?)

Surge in fatal shark attacks blamed on global warming

Three decades have passed since the movie Jaws sent terrified bathers scrambling out of the ocean. But as any beach lifeguard knows, there's still nothing like a gory shark attack to stoke public hysteria and paranoia.

Two deaths in the waters off California and Mexico last week and a spate of shark-inflicted injuries to surfers off Florida's Atlantic coast have left beachgoers seeking an explanation for a sudden surge in the number of strikes.

In the first four months of this year, there were four fatal shark attacks worldwide, compared with one in the whole of 2007, according to the International Shark Attack File at the Florida Museum of Natural History in Gainesville.

'The one thing that's affecting shark attacks more than anything else is human activity,' said Dr George Burgess of Florida University, a shark expert who maintains the database. 'As the population continues to rise, so does the number of people in the water for recreation. And as long as we have an increase in human hours in the water, we will have an increase in shark bites.'

Some experts suggest that an abundance of seals has attracted high numbers of sharks, while others believe that overfishing has hit their food chain. 'I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but it's a convenient excuse,' Burgess said. Another contributory factor to the location of shark attacks could be global warming and rising sea temperatures. 'You'll find that some species will begin to appear in places they didn't in the past with some regularity,' he said.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/may/04/wildlife.climatechange

now that is true. more people today surf/swim/snorkle in the ocean than ever before. two quick examples: 1. the recent death in san diego - guy swimming in a "pod" of other swimmers attacked by a great white who undoubtedly thought he/she was going to get a tasty fatty seal; 2. a death a few years ago in avila beach where a solo swimmer, wearing fins amongst the kelp beds off avila, was also attacked, undoubtedly by a shark who thought he/she was going to get a tasty fatty seal.

as to global warming, i have never understood the blind faith in this. lets assume the bible does not exist and the flood never happened....then we have multiple ice ages...now, we are (as """science""" tells us) coming out of a major ice age and more recently, coming out of a minor ice "period." hmmmm, maybe the earth warms up after the ice "ages" and ice "periods" hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

gabosaurus
05-06-2008, 08:55 AM
News to me. I was blaming Bush for the shark attacks.

Yurt
05-06-2008, 11:12 PM

and here is was thinking it was obama's fault because wright said sharks caused 9/11

manu1959
05-06-2008, 11:15 PM

i heard sharks don't like going down on bush.....they prefer men......

red states rule
05-07-2008, 06:01 AM
and here is was thinking it was obama's fault because wright said sharks caused 9/11

Well, they are Great Whites

MtnBiker
05-09-2008, 11:08 PM
The sharks will not be going here any time soon.

WENATCHEE — April was the third coldest on record, and below-average temperatures are expected in May, a National Weather Service forecaster said Monday.
The average temperature in the Wenatchee area in April was 47.6 degrees. Only April 1948 and April 1955 were colder, with averages of 43 and 46 degrees, said Greg Koch, meteorologist at the weather service's Spokane office.

Last month's average was almost 5 degrees colder than the typical April average of 52 degrees.

"That's fairly significant when you're looking at average temperatures for a 30-day period," Koch said.

http://wenatcheeworld.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080506/NEWS04/664651477/-1/BIZ01