PDA

View Full Version : The Market At Work

Kathianne
05-05-2008, 06:54 PM
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080505/OPINION03/805050326/1148/AUTO01

Monday, May 5, 2008
Daniel Howes
Market trumps Congress when it comes to fuel economy

News flash: Skyrocketing gas prices are driving historic shifts in the habits of car buyers, pushing them away from thirsty pickups and full-size SUVs and into four-cylinder compacts.

What a surprise.

Might all the smart people behind tougher federal Corporate Average Fuel Economy rules be watching? If they are, do they understand what we are witnessing? Namely, this: It's not arbitrary mileage goals, mostly unhinged from engineering reality and focused on a handful of companies, that are dramatically changing the behavior of the driving public. It's the price of fuel, stupid.

midcan5
05-05-2008, 08:32 PM
Let them eat cake! or is the modern version let them drive with cake!

Dilloduck
05-05-2008, 08:47 PM
Let them eat cake! or is the modern version let them drive with cake!

Americans used to be famous for just doing with what they had, could make themselves or could afford.

mundame
05-05-2008, 08:52 PM
Oil just hit $120 per barrel. I don't have a good feeling about this; if it DOES go to $200 a barrel as analysts have started to say, trouble will happen, I think.

Gaffer
05-05-2008, 09:57 PM
Americans used to be famous for just doing with what they had, could make themselves or could afford.

I'm still that way.

Dilloduck
05-05-2008, 10:16 PM
I'm still that way.

Do you think some time in the future people might think that living within their means and appreciating what they have is a good idea or is our economy dependent on people always wanting more ?

Gaffer
05-05-2008, 10:36 PM
You have to appreciate losing everything and restarting your life from scratch. And learn patients, and conservation of what you have. You have to experience going with out material things and comfort to really appreciate having things. Most people have never experienced going without and would panic when placed in that position.

DragonStryk72
05-05-2008, 10:54 PM
Oil just hit $120 per barrel. I don't have a good feeling about this; if it DOES go to $200 a barrel as analysts have started to say, trouble will happen, I think.

Yeah, the dealerships are gonna be all out of electric cars, hybrids, solar cars, and scooters. they'll cry all the way to the bank

05-05-2008, 11:18 PM

we dont have trouble now?

midcan5
05-06-2008, 07:51 AM
Do you think some time in the future people might think that living within their means and appreciating what they have is a good idea or is our economy dependent on people always wanting more ?

That's an interesting question. My mom used to tell us stories about the great depression, it formed a background for her experience throughout life. Between the GD and her religion she was and is satisfied with the little we had. She gave us those same values. But today since I have moved up high on the food chain I see another sort of values that always wants more and more. Not sure there is any easy answer to your question.

05-06-2008, 11:38 AM

they will have to or else they will just be miserable.

manu1959
05-06-2008, 11:50 AM

you know i had dinner with a family the other day that does exactly that ...... they are perfectly happy and calm and stress free ......

Dilloduck
05-06-2008, 12:05 PM
you know i had dinner with a family the other day that does exactly that ...... they are perfectly happy and calm and stress free ......

and our economy? How long would it take to collapse ?

05-06-2008, 12:18 PM
and our economy? How long would it take to collapse ?

no idea. ive actually been thinking alittle. how do we define our economy? And is there really anything there to collapse or do we have an artificial economy that really isnt as strong as the numbers show?

mundame
05-06-2008, 12:22 PM
we dont have trouble now?

No, not yet. People have hardly started complaining yet. If it went to $200, life would change.

05-06-2008, 12:30 PM
No, not yet. People have hardly started complaining yet. If it went to $200, life would change.

just cause we aren't complaining doesnt mean things arent hard. Some of us just dont like complaining:)

Dilloduck
05-06-2008, 12:43 PM
no idea. ive actually been thinking alittle. how do we define our economy? And is there really anything there to collapse or do we have an artificial economy that really isnt as strong as the numbers show?

Not being an economist I couldn't tell ya but it seems as tho we are dependent on people constantly purchasing new goods and services. People who live simply and are quite content with just the basics can't be a real boost to the system.