PDA

View Full Version : Unpopular: Must go

Yurt
05-05-2008, 09:40 PM
Because Bush is alleged (assumed true here) to be the most unpopular prez in history, he must go. not only that, but it MUST mean, he is doing a bad job. because popularity means everything...ask saddam, he got 99%..... ask adolf, stalin....ask them.....

hjmick
05-05-2008, 10:09 PM
I give him until January of next year, say around the 20th. I think that's when he'll give up and toss in the towel.

DragonStryk72
05-05-2008, 10:18 PM
Because Bush is alleged (assumed true here) to be the most unpopular prez in history, he must go. not only that, but it MUST mean, he is doing a bad job. because popularity means everything...ask saddam, he got 99%..... ask adolf, stalin....ask them.....

Yeah, 99% for Sadam? Of which group, cause they all seemed only to happy to hang the bastard, even when we tried to stop them from doing. I mean, shit, when a Texan goes, "I think you're rushing to the death penalty a might bit fast there."

And let's ask the Jewish people how they felt about Hilter, oh wait, the ones who were there are pretty much all dead cause he killed them.

And Stalin? Are you frickin' kidding me? you're taking the word of a country that actually practiced the muting of free speech as a fair test of how people felt?

completely week argument Yurt, seriously. None of those countries had the means to remove their ruler peacefully, or even, for that, militarily, as they ALL were dictators. Not quite the same thing. But that was just weak arguing, if it even counts as that much.

Yurt
05-05-2008, 10:22 PM
I give him until January of next year, say around the 20th. I think that's when he'll give up and toss in the towel.

and who will the next "popular" president? and does popular matter?

side bar:

btw, did you know that split pea anderson's first restaurant was in buellton? i didn't, though have dined there since i put my face in the cut outs, i did not know that buellton anderson's was the first one. saw it last night. i loved that i was apart of that history, not matter how small, just to know.

hjmick
05-05-2008, 10:26 PM
btw, did you know that split pea anderson's first restaurant was in buellton? i didn't, though have dined there since i put my face in the cut outs, i did not know that buellton anderson's was the first one. saw it last night. i loved that i was apart of that history, not matter how small, just to know.

I did know that. It was and is the only Anderson's at which I have ever dined. I have always like it, though getting my wife in there is not easy, she hates split pea soup and seems to forget that the have more than that on their menu. Of course, the only reason we go up there these days is to satisfy our cravings for Firestone beers.

gabosaurus
05-06-2008, 10:41 AM

Thanks for yet another thread that makes no sense whatsoever.

midcan5
05-06-2008, 11:54 AM

Not sure I'm following here, are you implying the American public is wrong or they just don't realize what a wonderful president he is?

midcan5
05-06-2008, 11:54 AM

I second that.:laugh2:

05-06-2008, 11:56 AM
Not sure I'm following here, are you implying the American public is wrong or they just don't realize what a wonderful president he is?

Maybe the point is popularity polls dont mean jack.

mundame
05-06-2008, 12:03 PM

Just don't appreciate him, probably. A prophet is not without honor, except in his own country......

Still, if he doesn't let his unpopularity drive him out of Washington by about Jan. 20, 2009, I think we may have more than his unpopularity to deal with.

manu1959
05-06-2008, 01:29 PM

have your husband explain it to you when he gets home from work.....

manu1959
05-06-2008, 01:31 PM
how about this......if a poll should you that what you were doing in life was wrong....would you change your way of life....

Monkeybone
05-06-2008, 02:01 PM
how about this......if a poll should you that what you were doing in life was wrong....would you change your way of life....

depends on what i was doing and who was polling me.

April15
05-06-2008, 02:25 PM
There are parts of my life that a poll sure couldn't have hurt!

Yurt
05-06-2008, 04:24 PM
it is refreshing to see some people understand this thread

manu1959
05-06-2008, 04:44 PM
depends on what i was doing and who was polling me.

:lol::lol::lol:

namvet
05-06-2008, 09:19 PM
well if Osama wins start building your bomb shelters..................

Abbey Marie
05-06-2008, 10:58 PM
well if Osama wins start building your bomb shelters..................

And kiss the Constitution goodbye.

gabosaurus
05-06-2008, 11:57 PM

Of the leaders you chose, Bush is the only democracy represented. People of the U.S. are free to give their honest opinion of their elected officials. The others were not elected, and no one was free to give their honest opinion.
Which makes your point an extremely ignorant one, at best.

DragonStryk72
05-07-2008, 02:22 AM
Just don't appreciate him, probably. A prophet is not without honor, except in his own country......

Still, if he doesn't let his unpopularity drive him out of Washington by about Jan. 20, 2009, I think we may have more than his unpopularity to deal with.

Um, yeah, most of the world is pretty convinced he's without honor, too, so that quote doesn't really apply.

Sitarro
05-07-2008, 03:46 AM
Of the leaders you chose, Bush is the only democracy represented. People of the U.S. are free to give their honest opinion of their elected officials. The others were not elected, and no one was free to give their honest opinion.

Gee, it's so very important to hear what the masses that are so caught up with the lives of Britney, some asshole basketball team, the global warming bullshit, rap, spinner rims, sideways hats, texting, and everything else that is completely meaningless to anyone with a brain....... it's just so meaningful to hear what they supposedly think about the President of our Country. These are the same people that can't tell you the name of the Vice President or who the Secretary of State is but yet we should pay attention to what they parrot from their favorite family member, rock star, that imbecile Kanye or any host of people or places they get their opinion from. "I'm a Democrat because my parents are and their parents were......blah blah baaaa." Pathetic and you in your pretend elitist way is at the head of the clowns...... you know so very little about reality Gabo-what-ever, who could possibly give a shit what you are anyone like you tries to think?

The United States is a Republic, not a democracy and is only as good as how informed it's population is and ours isn't. In that way we are no better than any of the others. Pretending to be informed doesn't cut it. The fact that such a large amount of the population is willing to fall behind a token, chimpanzee eared empty suit like Obamessiah says it all. A nation of trendy followers...... very weak.:bang3::bang3::bang3:

Sitarro
05-07-2008, 03:50 AM
Um, yeah, most of the world is pretty convinced he's without honor, too, so that quote doesn't really apply.

Get over it, the world doesn't have a clue, get out more, read their newspapers...... they have worse bullshitters than the New York Times. Name a Nation that has a leader that the rest of the world loves and thinks has honor.

Yurt
05-07-2008, 11:22 AM

um, the US is a republic, not a democracy :poke: i never said the others were identical in every way to bush, i used them as illustrative of the point that popularity, alone, should not be a deciding factor in determining someone's leadership abilities.

Abbey Marie
05-07-2008, 02:45 PM
Get over it, the world doesn't have a clue, get out more, read their newspapers...... they have worse bullshitters than the New York Times. Name a Nation that has a leader that the rest of the world loves and thinks has honor.

Good point. And the few that do are usually assassinated.

red states rule
05-07-2008, 02:51 PM

{res Bush's average approval rating is 30%

The Reid/Pelosi run Congress has an average approval rating of 22%. The lowest rating in history

Do the Dems have to go as well?

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/

Abbey Marie
05-07-2008, 03:05 PM
{res Bush's average approval rating is 30%

The Reid/Pelosi run Congress has an average approval rating of 22%. The lowest rating in history

Do the Dems have to go as well?

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/

http://www.ciprian.onofreiciuc.ro/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/shhh-1.png

red states rule
05-07-2008, 03:30 PM
Great pic of Gabby and MFM Abbey :laugh2:

Hagbard Celine
05-07-2008, 04:29 PM

Saddam isn't a valid comparison. We don't live in a dictatorship. And yeah, being unpopular is usually a good indicator of doing a bad yob.

red states rule
05-07-2008, 04:33 PM
Saddam isn't a valid comparison. We don't live in a dictatorship. And yeah, being unpopular is usually a good indicator of doing a bad yob.

I have heard moonbats describe the current administration as the 4th Riche, Pres Bush is the dictator, and how their rights are being taken away

I will remind you, Harry Truman had very low approval ratings when he left office

Gaffer
05-07-2008, 04:35 PM

It's also an indicator of doing a good job. Popularity does not make a good leader. It's the results of his leadership that do. And those results often take a long time to manifest themselves.

Hagbard Celine
05-07-2008, 04:51 PM
It's also an indicator of doing a good job. Popularity does not make a good leader. It's the results of his leadership that do. And those results often take a long time to manifest themselves.

Look around and tell me if you think he's done a good job. Gas is four dollars a gallon. Food costs are rising. The war that was supposed to last "no more than six weeks" is in it's fifth year with no end in sight. More than 3500 US soldiers are dead. The Euro is worth more than twice as much as the dollar. Iran is on the verge of seizing control of the entire Middle East. Nobody can afford to save any money because the cost of living has skyrocketed. 400 million Americans still have no health care coverage. There was that little incident in New Orleans. There was also the incident involving the outing of a covert, CIA agent for the purposes of punishing her husband whose opinion contradicted the administration's agenda. Not to mention the advent of "red/blue" politics--derision is always soo good for the public psyche. What has Bush done that's good for the country?

red states rule
05-07-2008, 04:59 PM
Look around and tell me if you think he's done a good job. Gas is four dollars a gallon. Food costs are rising. The war that was supposed to last "no more than six weeks" is in it's fifth year with no end in sight. More than 3500 US soldiers are dead. The Euro is worth more than twice as much as the dollar. Iran is on the verge of seizing control of the entire Middle East. Nobody can afford to save any money because the cost of living has skyrocketed. 400 million Americans still have no health care coverage. There was that little incident in New Orleans. There was also the incident involving the outing of a covert, CIA agent for the purposes of punishing her husband whose opinion contradicted the administration's agenda. Not to mention the advent of "red/blue" politics--derision is always soo good for the public psyche. What has Bush done that's good for the country?

Oil comapnies make ten cents progit off a gallon of gas - government makes 40 to 80 cents in taxes. Dems think higer taxes on oil companies will lower the price at the pumo

Food costs are going up thanks to looney lefties and their insane ethanol scam

Yes, libs are still pushing for surredner and appeasement and give the terrorists a win. That is why the terrorists are backing Dems in the election

400 million without health ins? I assuem you mean 40 million; and that number is inflated. Libs include ilegals, people who choose not to take ins at woprk, and those who qualify for government help but choose not to take it

The CIA paper pusher was not covert - but keep telling yourself that if it makes you happy

Libs are great at whining, but they never offer any answers that will solve the problem - only ideas that make it worse and increase their power

Hagbard Celine
05-07-2008, 05:01 PM
Oil comapnies make ten cents progit off a gallon of gas - government makes 40 to 80 cents in taxes. Dems think higer taxes on oil companies will lower the price at the pumo

Food costs are going up thanks to looney lefties and their insane ethanol scam

Yes, libs are still pushing for surredner and appeasement and give the terrorists a win. That is why the terrorists are backing Dems in the election

400 million without health ins? I assuem you mean 40 million; and that number is inflated. Libs include ilegals, people who choose not to take ins at woprk, and those who qualify for government help but choose not to take it

The CIA paper pusher was not covert - but keep telling yourself that if it makes you happy

Libs are great at whining, but they never offer any answers that will solve the problem - only ideas that make it worse and increase their power

Thanks for summarizing Rush's show for us. Fiction is always entertaining. But do you have anything relevant to add to the discussion?

red states rule
05-07-2008, 05:04 PM
Thanks for summarizing Rush's show for us. Fiction is always entertaining. But do you have anything relevant to add to the discussion?

I understand your lame response. When confronted with facts, libs melt like a vampire exposed to sunlight

Your lack of an intelligent response proves me correct in my post

PostmodernProphet
05-07-2008, 05:36 PM

false statement, Red....

1) first of all, it is a misstatement of the oil and gas industry's position, which is not that they make ten cents a gallon, but that they make ten cents per dollar.....more specifically, companies such as Exxon stated in 2005 that they earn around 8 cents per dollar of sales....

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2002772953_exxon31.html

now, that was in 2005 when oil was selling for far less than it is now (and a dollar bought more of a gallon of gas than it does now)....

in the last year we see higher numbers....in the fourth quarter they had profits of $11.66 billion on sales of $116 billion....which would bring us to just over 10 cents on the dollar.....

http://money.cnn.com/2008/02/01/news/companies/exxon_earnings/
now, if gas were selling for a dollar a gallon, your claim of 10 cents per gallon would be accurate.....

obviously, it isn't.....

in addition, it isn't sufficient to simply multiply the profit rate times the cost of gas.....if, for example, gas cost an average of $3 during 2007, then at ten cents per dollar they would make a profit of 30 cents per gallon....but....

if you divide their profits of $11.66 billion by 30 cents then they would have had to sell nearly 39 billion gallons of gas in the fourth quarter.....or, around 156 billion gallons of gas a year.....

now, typically, the US consumes around 40-45% of the world's gasoline......

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4189/1379/1600/WorldGasoline.jpg

the US consumes approximately 146 billion gallons of gasoline a year....

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question417.htm

which means the world consumes around 365 billion gallons of gasoline.....

in order for Exxon to sell 156 billion gallons of gas a year, they would have to have nearly a 43% market share, world wide....

they don't.....therefore, they must sell fewer gallons and their profit per gallon would then go UP from 30 cents per gallon....

if, for example, they only had a 20% market share, they would have earned 60 cents per gallon.....

I wasn't able to find anything definitive about Exxon's market share, but I did find one reference that in California in 2004 they had a 6% market share, and another reference from 2007 that said they had a 10% market share in Britain.....

that is going to push their per gallon profits up around $1.20.....

red states rule
05-07-2008, 05:48 PM
Oil Company Profits: Just Who Is Gouging Whom?
by Alexander Green, Investment Director, The Oxford Club

The new speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi, calls oil company profits "obscene."

And at first blush, many would agree. Over the past 12 months, for example, ExxonMobil has made pre-tax profits of $164 billion on sales of $369.5 billion. That's a lot.

But are big oil company profits bad?

Hardly. Companies exist to maximize profits. Profits are what keep workers employed. They keep companies innovating, creating new products and services. They keep the economy humming and the country strong. And they allow you and I to invest and secure our financial future.

Even the school teacher who plunks some of her retirement account in an S&P 500 Index fund benefits from Exxon's rising share price - which is a direct result of Exxon's rising profits.

Many will argue that there is nothing wrong with an oil company's profits, per se. It's just that Exxon is gouging us at the pump. They're making too much.

But are they? After all, Exxon can't dictate gasoline prices. Markets determine the price of oil. It's supply and demand that sets the price at the pump.

Oil Companies, Profits, and the Courts

Some Americans are skeptical on this point, I know. So I direct them to last year's Supreme Court decision. The court ruled unanimously that oil companies have not been colluding to set prices.

Oil prices are high today because the economies of huge nations like China and India are developing rapidly. More oil is being demanded in the world market and there are few new sources of supply.

Hurricane Katrina destroyed a lot of oil processing capacity around the Gulf of Mexico too, so there has been less oil being processed. When less oil is supplied, gasoline prices rise.

What does the average oil company make today on the sale of a gallon of gas? Ten cents.

The federal tax on gasoline, on the other hand, is nearly twice that. Then there's state gasoline taxes. (If you live in New York, for example, you're paying 68 cents a gallon in taxes.)

If Exxon is gouging us at ten cents a gallon, what exactly is the federal government doing to us at 18.4 cents a gallon?

http://www.investmentu.com/IUEL/2007/20070323.html

Gaffer
05-07-2008, 06:11 PM

I never said a word about Bush doing a good or bad job. I just responded to your statement that being unpopular is a good indication of doing a bad job.

Bush as president has no control over the gas prices. The market and congress does.

Bush has no control over the cost of food. The market and congress do.

Bush has no control over how long a war lasts. It goes until the enemy is defeated. Or until congress stops funding it.

Bush has no control over casualties in the war zones. That's the enemies responsibility.

Bush has no control of the eruo or the dollar. The fed handles the dollar europeans handle the euro and the market affects it all.

Bush has no control over iran. He's trying to keep them in check, but he's unpopular and everything he does is criticized. Iran wants iraq and Bush is preventing that from happening by, of all things, keeping troops there and nation building.

Bush has no control over whether people save money or not. That's another market responsibility. congress can take action though.

At last count there were 360 million Americans in this country.

Bush was not responsible for the hurricane. The ones responsible for the screw up there after the hurricane were the the mayor and the governor.

There was no outing. She was not covert and it was a well known fact she worked for the CIA. Her husband was a clinton man. And Bush was not responsible for doing that. A reporter did it.

Bush did not create red/blue politics. The media did. They wanted to pit one side against another and they have been very successful.

He cut taxes. He is fighting the war with islam. Not well, but he's doing something. He appointed two conservative judges. He has vetoed silly moonbat laws the congress has pushed through and has kept congress from trying to usurp the presidents authority. I also think he's done a lot of things wrong. But that will be determined many years from no when its all played out.

Patton was never popular with his troops, but he was a damn good leader.

PostmodernProphet
05-07-2008, 06:25 PM
But are big oil company profits bad?

the issue isn't whether oil profits are bad.....the issue is whether you are misrepresenting the truth when you say ten cents a gallon....I have explained it to you before, so when you continue to do it, it is an intentional misrepresentation of fact......