PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Sowell on Obama

manu1959
05-06-2008, 04:42 PM
People on the far left like to flatter themselves that they are for the poor and the downtrodden. But what is most likely to lift people out of poverty-- telling them that the world has done them wrong or promoting the work ethnic of the Korean girls, the dogged determination of my Harvard classmate with the newspaper in his shoe, or the self-reliance of my fellow junior high school student in Harlem who had too much pride to take charity?

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/ThomasSowell/2008/05/06/random_events?page=1

In the real world, a sense of grievance or entitlement, as a result of the mistreatment of your ancestors, is not likely to get you very far with people who are too busy dealing with current economic realities to spend much time thinking about their own ancestors, much less other people's ancestors.

Trigg
05-06-2008, 05:54 PM
People on the far left like to flatter themselves that they are for the poor and the downtrodden. But what is most likely to lift people out of poverty-- telling them that the world has done them wrong or promoting the work ethnic of the Korean girls, the dogged determination of my Harvard classmate with the newspaper in his shoe, or the self-reliance of my fellow junior high school student in Harlem who had too much pride to take charity?

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/ThomasSowell/2008/05/06/random_events?page=1

In the real world, a sense of grievance or entitlement, as a result of the mistreatment of your ancestors, is not likely to get you very far with people who are too busy dealing with current economic realities to spend much time thinking about their own ancestors, much less other people's ancestors.

I've always liked his articles

glockmail
05-06-2008, 06:19 PM
Sowell must be a racist.

Kathianne
05-06-2008, 06:43 PM
Sowell must be a racist.

I'd call him a humanist, not how the term is usually applied, but it fits.

glockmail
05-06-2008, 07:00 PM
I'd call him a humanist, not how the term is usually applied, but it fits.
I was just kidding. The man's brilliant.

hjmick
05-06-2008, 07:02 PM
Sowell must be a racist.

I most often hear him referred to as an Uncle Tom.

Little-Acorn
05-06-2008, 07:39 PM

The leftists come up with quite a variety of names for people when they don't like what they say but can't refute them.

"Gee, you may be right!" just isn't in their vocabulary.

:cheers2:

glockmail
05-06-2008, 08:55 PM
Well at least his detractors aren't racists.