Topic: Memos Sent to Romenesko
Date/Time: 5/7/2008 11:32:58 AM
Title: New York Times memo on layoffs
Posted By: Jim Romenesko

Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 07:21:47
To: [New York Times newsroom]
Subject: A Message to the Staff from Bill Keller

Colleagues:

A little over two months ago, I told you that we would have to reduce staff within the newsroom by roughly 100 jobs given the difficult financial challenges facing our business and the deteriorating national economy.

Our hope, as you know, was that we could trim our payroll by encouraging enough volunteers to accept buyout offers. While the overwhelming majority of our reductions did indeed come from volunteers, we have been forced to resort to a relatively small numbers of layoffs to meet our assigned goal. (We are not going to discuss numbers or the details of the staff reduction, nor will we be releasing a list of nam.at should carry them to other endeavors or to retirement, but that will not eliminate their sense of loss, or ours.

These past few weeks have been difficult for all of us, as we say goodbye to many longtime colleagues who have elected to leave. Others, who raised their hands for buyouts more recently, will be departing in the coming weeks. A few of those who sought buyouts will stay on longer, to help us through the demands of a year when we must cover both the Olympics in China and a national election campaign. We've had farewell toasts, and will have more.for friends and colleagues whose knowledge and dedication we will miss. We know this time has been unsettling and dispiriting..

gabosaurus
05-07-2008, 09:55 PM
What does a story about layoffs at the NY Times have to do with the title "US Is Not The Demon"?
I fail to see to correlation.

Kathianne
05-08-2008, 05:37 AM
What does a story about layoffs at the NY Times have to do with the title "US Is Not The Demon"?
I fail to see to correlation.

Granted, cryptic. Years of NYTimes writing of all US 'bad', the price is coming due.

Gaffer
05-08-2008, 06:51 AM
They could revitalize the paper in a heart beat if they just reported the news and lose the bias. And tell the truth. Their circulation is down because they are a left wing rag and not a NEWS paper.

mundame
05-08-2008, 10:36 AM
I think a lot of it is the lying reporters! That Judith Miller (rightwing false stories before the war started) and Jason Blair (just made it all up without ever leaving Brooklyn).

And it's all so PC to promote and foster these liars. I can't believe a paper that hires and coddles "reporters" like that.

Abbey Marie
05-08-2008, 02:26 PM
They could revitalize the paper in a heart beat if they just reported the news and lose the bias. And tell the truth. Their circulation is down because they are a left wing rag and not a NEWS paper.

When we have to clean out our hamster cage, I long for a copy.

midcan5
05-08-2008, 02:27 PM
Granted, cryptic. Years of NYTimes writing of all US 'bad', the price is coming due.

You can't be serious! Hardly anyone reads the papers today, any paper. Even in large cities circulation is down. The New York Times remains the best newspaper in the world but hearing that news is a bad sign.

gabosaurus
05-08-2008, 04:27 PM
Wow, that is REALLY a stretch... :rolleyes:

mundame
05-09-2008, 07:59 AM
The New York Times remains the best newspaper in the world but hearing that news is a bad sign.

I think the best paper in this country is the Wall Street Journal. Very honest, very sober.

The New York Times has had a LOT of problems with honesty, so I don't read them.