PDA

View Full Version : The adoption interview

gabosaurus
05-08-2008, 04:48 PM
I willingly admit to sitting at my desk, mid-afternoon, trying to avoid doing any real work. Because I am nervous as all fuck.

After almost 18 months of jumping through endless legal and procedural hoops, spending who knows how much money, submitting pretty much everyone I have ever known to background checks and interviews and studying profiles of close to 100 kids, it all comes down to Friday afternoon. When my husband and I will meet a six-year-old girl who could become our daughter.

I hope God never gets tired of hearing from one person. Because I am been talking to him a hell of a lot over the last couple of weeks. :)

Dilloduck
05-08-2008, 04:56 PM
I willingly admit to sitting at my desk, mid-afternoon, trying to avoid doing any real work. Because I am nervous as all fuck.

After almost 18 months of jumping through endless legal and procedural hoops, spending who knows how much money, submitting pretty much everyone I have ever known to background checks and interviews and studying profiles of close to 100 kids, it all comes down to Friday afternoon. When my husband and I will meet a six-year-old girl who could become our daughter.

I hope God never gets tired of hearing from one person. Because I am been talking to him a hell of a lot over the last couple of weeks. :)

I wouldn't tell them you post here.

Kathianne
05-08-2008, 04:59 PM

Good luck! I didn't realize you were adopting an older child, you will soon be getting first hand experience with the school system. Good luck with that, too! :laugh2:

Trigg
05-08-2008, 05:27 PM

Good luck. 6 can be a tough age, especially when they've been in the system.

My mother was a foster parent for yrs, the older ones tended to have emotional problems.

PostmodernProphet
05-08-2008, 05:46 PM
it was easier for us.....our daughter was under 6 months, so she was used to us before she was able to complain about us.....

/grins....just be relaxed and happy, ask her questions about what she likes and let her do most of the talking....it will go fine....{omigorsh, that sounded like dating advice}.....

Pale Rider
05-08-2008, 06:07 PM

Just.... good luck. I do hope everything works out.

manu1959
05-08-2008, 06:17 PM
good luck gabs..................oh and try not to say fuck in front of her....

Kathianne
05-08-2008, 06:18 PM
good luck gabs..................oh and try not to say fuck in front of her....

Hell, that was great! Really Gabs, what he said!

Sitarro
05-08-2008, 08:37 PM
You might not want to lt her know how liberal you are just in case she is smarter than you, that may be a deal breaker.:laugh2:

Abbey Marie
05-08-2008, 10:33 PM
Good luck, Gabby. It will happen if it is meant to be.

Girls between 3 and 9 are the best!

gabosaurus
05-09-2008, 12:39 AM
When my sister went through the whole process of becoming a legal guardian, we learned how much demand there is for infants, and how the demand gradually diminishes the older the child gets. Once the child passes the age of 5 or so, they are pretty much completely passed over.
This is why I wanted an older child. To give at least one child a chance at a better life.
I once told my mom that I didn't think I had the patience to deal with raising an infant. I never realized that God would later take that statement at face value. :p

The adoption agency went are going through has a contact with a home for kids who were handed over or abandoned at birth. Their only life has been in this home.
The "matching process" is pretty strictly controlled. It's akin to a marriage, except there is not a possibility for a "divorce." I haven't read through all the penalties, but I am sure one of them is being tossed off the side of a mountain.

I have dealt with all facets of my life so far. I guess I can deal with the facets of someone else's life.
If not, I have my parents and my husband's parents to fall back on. And an office full of school counselors. :)

Sitarro
05-09-2008, 12:56 AM
Taking into consideration Jolie and Madonna's choices and the current faddish swooning over Obamessiah, are you trying to adopt a black child(a true liberal would)? It's very trendy with the leftist and would give you instant street credit. Besides, there are plenty of black kids needing to be adopted so they are probably easier to score. You could even have the perfect setup to create another Obamessiah. White parents raising a child that is at least half black, providing it with a elitist lifestyle, sending it to the best schools........ you could make sure yours would hate white people just like Obamessiah..... that would really be cool.:poke:

Kathianne
05-09-2008, 01:02 AM
Good luck, Gabby. It will happen if it is meant to be.

Girls between 3 and 9 are the best!

They get 'real good' again after 18 or so. ;) Hang in there Abbey! :laugh2:

stephanie
05-09-2008, 01:11 AM
When did they start adopting out kids to kids??

gabosaurus
05-09-2008, 09:59 AM
Wasn't aware that 24 was still considered the child era. Perhaps to someone who is old and no longer useful to society. :)

5stringJeff
05-09-2008, 10:31 AM
Hope it all goes well Gabs. Congrats on doing something to make the world a better place! :thumb:

stephanie
05-09-2008, 11:11 AM
Wasn't aware that 24 was still considered the child era. Perhaps to someone who is old and no longer useful to society. :)

my point proven.
it's not always the number age of someone, it's the age mentality of some that I wonder about.?

Yurt
05-09-2008, 12:00 PM

that is impressive gabs. i could not adopt, however, i admire those who do. i hope you are adopting from america and not following that stupid trend of adopting from africa....there are so many without parents in this country...and to adopt in africa because it is apparently PC is simply arrogant. i know that those children deserve a good life too, but you are taking them away from their homeland to a world unkown, whereas here, you are adopting someone who will have more of a connection to this land.

not that i think i have advice to give you....had a friend in grade school who was adopted...then ran into him at college some years later...he turned out fine. i remember one thing he always liked about his parents (other than being rich, LOL) was the utter honesty they gave him and others about the adoption. it was completely in the open and made to be a proud situation, instead of...oh, here's my adopted kid.

Abbey Marie
05-09-2008, 01:55 PM
They get 'real good' again after 18 or so. ;) Hang in there Abbey! :laugh2:

Perceptive as always, Kath! :)

glockmail
05-09-2008, 02:30 PM
Gabs in spite of what I may have said to you in the past, :bow2:

gabosaurus
05-10-2008, 12:45 PM
God willing, I have found my daughter. Now all we have to do is convince the rest of the system. And pay them all, of course.
Life rocks. :rock:

jackass
05-10-2008, 01:58 PM
I just wanted to say I admire very much what you are doing. Its not the easy road to adopt a 6yr old, but thank goodness for people like you. :cheers2:

Pale Rider
05-10-2008, 02:21 PM
God willing, I have found my daughter. Now all we have to do is convince the rest of the system. And pay them all, of course.

Ya know what... I don't think it's right that people have to PAY to adopt a child. I think it should be the OTHER WAY AROUND.

Kathianne
05-10-2008, 02:34 PM

Congratulations and much joy along the road!

Nukeman
05-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Good luck gabs!!!!!!! You will have about 6 years of good and then the hormons kick in and the girls turn pretty wacky... Of course this is just my observation...

Once again Congrats and good luck...........:coffee:

Yurt
05-10-2008, 07:46 PM
Ya know what... I don't think it's right that people have to PAY to adopt a child. I think it should be the OTHER WAY AROUND.

interesting observation.... paying for children, its like legalized child trafficking...

Pale Rider
05-10-2008, 08:20 PM
interesting observation.... paying for children, its like legalized child trafficking...

Maybe if it wasn't so damn expensive to adopt children, more children would get adopted.

As it is, it is like the state is selling them off like some sort of commodity.

Yurt
05-10-2008, 08:47 PM
Maybe if it wasn't so damn expensive to adopt children, more children would get adopted.

As it is, it is like the state is selling them off like some sort of commodity.

good point, beyond the normal fees, where does the money go?

gabosaurus
05-11-2008, 03:29 PM
good point, beyond the normal fees, where does the money go?

As could be expected, most of its goes to lawyers and legal fees. You need a lawyer to do pretty much anything in this country.

I am not really upset by the fees. We are going through a private adoption agency, which is much more expensive. But they give you much more control over the process.
We filled out the Mother of All Questionnaires to begin the process. It helps the agency guide us through the process of matching up to a young child in need of a home.

We are a bit closer now. All we need now is another month or so of interviews, approvals and court proceedings.

Trigg
05-12-2008, 01:03 PM
As could be expected, most of its goes to lawyers and legal fees. You need a lawyer to do pretty much anything in this country.

Lawyers make everything difficult.

I agree with Pale though if adoption were more affordable more people would choose that option.

I realize the state is probably trying to recoop some of the costs of raising the child, but they make it to expensive for most people to adopt.