PDA

View Full Version : Pale: gotta love this judge

manu1959
05-08-2008, 06:31 PM
Judge Peter Olszewski Jr. gave three criminal defendants a choice: learn English or spend 24 months in the Luzerne County, Pa., jail. Olszewski issued the unusual sentence after four men pleaded guilty to robbery-related charges through a translator. “Do you think we are going to supply you with a translator all of your life?” he asked during the plea hearing, according to The Times Leader in Wilkes-Barre, Pa. One of the defendants was already imprisoned on drug-related charges; the other three were given immediate parole. Those men, all resident aliens, are due back in court next year. At that time, Olszewski says he'll administer an English test. If they pass the test and prove they've earned GEDs and found full-time jobs, the judge says he'll let them go about their lives. If they don’t pass, they’re going in for the 24 (months),” Olszewski says, according to the paper.
http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2008/03/judge-tells-def.html

red states rule
05-08-2008, 06:32 PM
Judge Peter Olszewski Jr. gave three criminal defendants a choice: learn English or spend 24 months in the Luzerne County, Pa., jail. Olszewski issued the unusual sentence after four men pleaded guilty to robbery-related charges through a translator. “Do you think we are going to supply you with a translator all of your life?” he asked during the plea hearing, according to The Times Leader in Wilkes-Barre, Pa. One of the defendants was already imprisoned on drug-related charges; the other three were given immediate parole. Those men, all resident aliens, are due back in court next year. At that time, Olszewski says he'll administer an English test. If they pass the test and prove they've earned GEDs and found full-time jobs, the judge says he'll let them go about their lives. If they don’t pass, they’re going in for the 24 (months),” Olszewski says, according to the paper.

This Judge needs to be appointed to USSC when one of the libs steps finally steps down

midcan5
05-08-2008, 07:10 PM
Nah, RSR won't like that, it makes sense he never does.

05-09-2008, 12:03 AM
i hate dealing with the translators. its always a pain.

manu1959
05-09-2008, 12:08 AM

this post being the pinnacle of clarity.........

82Marine89
05-09-2008, 12:30 AM

I hate having to be bilingual in my own country.

red states rule
05-09-2008, 05:14 AM
I remember this ad from Pat Buchanan. It was a great ad, and the left have a cow over it

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pUgTDmD4vW4&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pUgTDmD4vW4&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

KitchenKitten99
05-09-2008, 07:59 AM

Yeah, I know the feeling. Although I think it is harder to talk to TDD operators. I always forget to say "go ahead" because it is not part of a normal verbal conversation.

I was a kind of translator for my sister while we were in Mexico. I somehow remembered more Spanish than I thought I would, and I was able to translate for her, where she only knew "hello" and "no thank you". Now she wants to learn it so when she goes back, she doesn't rely on someone else or a book/electronic device.

glockmail
05-09-2008, 08:32 AM
this post being the pinnacle of clarity.........
No shit I have no idea what it means.

Pale Rider
05-09-2008, 10:32 AM

Myabe the judge could teach juan mccain a thing or two.

red states rule
05-09-2008, 11:35 AM
Myabe the judge could teach juan mccain a thing or two.

He is a Judge Pale - not a miracle worker

Pale Rider
05-09-2008, 12:13 PM
He is a Judge Pale - not a miracle worker

Needless to say, we need a whole lot more judges like him.

red states rule
05-09-2008, 12:15 PM
Needless to say, we need a whole lot more judges like him.

And several like him on the USSC

05-09-2008, 12:44 PM
No shit I have no idea what it means.

im not sure anyone does, including midcan.

Yurt
05-09-2008, 01:27 PM

the need and importance for people to learn english is obvious :lol:

red states rule
05-09-2008, 01:28 PM
the need and importance for people to learn english is obvious :lol:

Those night classes are not helping midcam very mich

My Winter Storm
05-09-2008, 08:52 PM

Good! It's about time someone stood up to these lazy pricks and forced them to learn the language of their adopted country!

MtnBiker
05-09-2008, 10:54 PM
im not sure anyone does, including midcan.

I don't believe that is a personal requirement

Pale Rider
05-10-2008, 01:47 AM
Good! It's about time someone stood up to these lazy pricks and forced them to learn the language of their adopted country!

It should be law. But don't look for anything like that to happen if juan mcamnesty gets elected President.