PDA

View Full Version : Gas station attendant fired for defending co-worker

KitchenKitten99
05-08-2008, 08:10 PM
http://kstp.com/article/stories/S437400.shtml?cat=1

A local gas station employee is out of a job after he thought he was helping save someone’s life.

Mark Beverly was one of two employees inside a Roseville Super America when a robber came into the store on March 26.

Beverly was cleaning the bathroom when he heard the store clerk cry out. He came out to find a robber attacking the female employee.

"I just jumped on his back and trying to hit his head and pushed him over the counter. I jumped back over and he was out of there," he said.

Later that day, Beverly returned to work only to be punished for his actions.

"I didn't think I was going to get fired for it," he told 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS.

Super America issued a statement, saying that ‘employees are never to take action that could endanger themselves or others. It’s regrettable this happened.’

Beverly was given a robbery prevention packet, but he says he got it after the attempted robbery.

"I didn't care about the money, I know Super America is insured. But I thought he was attacking her, that's why I jumped on him," he explained.

The Roseville Police Department has not made any arrests regarding the robbery. Beverly has been denied employment with Super America.

He is in the process of an appeal.

DragonStryk72
05-08-2008, 11:31 PM
Well, that's just fucked up completely. I mean, seriously, I understand they don't want anyone hurt, but when one employee stands up for another at risk to their lives, that should be rewarded, not punished.

actsnoblemartin
05-09-2008, 01:59 AM
thats liberalism for you, no common sense at all for super gay america mart, or whatever theyre name is

Well, that's just fucked up completely. I mean, seriously, I understand they don't want anyone hurt, but when one employee stands up for another at risk to their lives, that should be rewarded, not punished.

KitchenKitten99
05-09-2008, 07:42 AM
Apparently since the story was read on the KQ92 morning show (radio) yesterday, he's been offered several jobs by listeners calling, wanting someone like him in their business. Don't know if he's taken one yet

glockmail
05-09-2008, 08:35 AM
Apparently since the story was read on the KQ92 morning show (radio) yesterday, he's been offered several jobs by listeners calling, wanting someone like him in their business. Don't know if he's taken one yet
That's the American Way right there. One company screws up, and 3 or 4 others swoop in and take advantage of the situation. :clap:

mundame
05-09-2008, 10:23 AM

It's worse in Britain. If somebody breaks into your home, you can't even hit him with a stick or your cane, you'll get arrested and the robber will sue. I am not kidding: it really is like this. Of course no one is allowed to have a gun at all, though the criminals mostly do now, smuggled in from Europe.

I suggest we not go this way: Britain has a VERY high crime rate now, higher than ours. Surprise.

gabosaurus
05-09-2008, 10:56 AM
What does the general policy for convenience stores have to do with "liberalism"?
It has more to do with our general overly litigated society.

My Winter Storm
05-09-2008, 08:49 PM
It's worse in Britain. If somebody breaks into your home, you can't even hit him with a stick or your cane, you'll get arrested and the robber will sue. I am not kidding: it really is like this. Of course no one is allowed to have a gun at all, though the criminals mostly do now, smuggled in from Europe.

I suggest we not go this way: Britain has a VERY high crime rate now, higher than ours. Surprise.

That's how it is here as well. Robber breaks into your home, he might trip over on something, break his leg and he can then sue the homeowner. It's totally fucked up.

DragonStryk72
05-10-2008, 09:58 AM
thats liberalism for you, no common sense at all for super gay america mart, or whatever theyre name is

this was a purely corporate decisions. Not everything can be a conservative choice or a liberal choice, acts.

this wasn't a law, not at the federal, state, city, or county level, it was the policy of the company running the gas station. Let's try not to turn everything into a lib/con argument.

LAcajun
05-20-2008, 07:04 PM
This is absolutely absurd. A common complaint I hear on a daily basis, is that "chivalry is dead", well this is all the evidence we need. Someone actually stands up for a co-worker, which, lets face it, is unheard of in itself, and he gets the boot. Super America should be ashamed. I wish no ill will towards her if she exists, but i would like to see how the CEO of Super America would react if it were his wife or girlfriend being attacked. The robber was lucky he got away at all. If you ask me, the person responsible for such a trumendously stupid policy should be fired and replaced with Mr. Beverly. I recently studied bystander apathy in my psychology class, look it up. It's a problem in this country, and incidents of this nature only fuel the problem. So i challenge Super America to grow a pair and be proud that they employ the kind of person, even if just one, that is willing to take a stand against violence towards another human being, male or female.

actsnoblemartin
05-20-2008, 07:08 PM
I want the number for super america, and lets give um a piece of our minds!

Silver
05-20-2008, 08:01 PM
What does the general policy for convenience stores have to do with "liberalism"?
It has more to do with our general overly litigated society.

You really gonna stick your head up your tush and deny this isn't the result of leftist liberal influence over the last 40 years...? Its amazing how the left can cause so many problems and then blame others ..... and actually get away with it...can you really not have a clue how destroying such things a self reliance and personally responsibility has affected the fabric of our country..?

Overly litigated society? Thats the liberals doing also....Fall off a bar stool and sue the stool maker....thats right out of a liberal lawyers handbook of never let anyone be responsible for their own actions.....

DragonStryk72
05-20-2008, 09:50 PM
You really gonna stick your head up your tush and deny this isn't the result of leftist liberal influence over the last 40 years...? Its amazing how the left can cause so many problems and then blame others ..... and actually get away with it...can you really not have a clue how destroying such things a self reliance and personally responsibility has affected the fabric of our country..?

Overly litigated society? Thats the liberals doing also....Fall off a bar stool and sue the stool maker....thats right out of a liberal lawyers handbook of never let anyone be responsible for their own actions.....

It isn't about liberalism.

honestly, the company likely feels that they're protecting their employees. The bigger problem is that the company has absolutely no right to state that their employees are not allowed to defend themselves, or one another. It's an inherent right of all free people to defend each other from attack.

To be fair, as well, the supposed conservatives are playing the same shtick, so really, both sides are screwing up, but in the end, it's our own fault, because we let them do it, even when we realize it's wrong, and that something should be done about it.

KitchenKitten99
05-21-2008, 08:31 AM
I want the number for super america, and lets give um a piece of our minds!

http://www.speedway.com/ContactUs/Default.aspx