PDA

View Full Version : A Few Quotes From A Republican

Sitarro
05-08-2008, 11:12 PM
For all of the sheep following the Obamessiah, you might want to read these wise words. Sure they're from a Republican, an Illinois politician also, but even ewe sheep should recognize true greatness. He is basically warning against the Demcrats but especially Obamessiah.

"You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich."

"You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong."

"You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift."

"You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down."

"You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred."

"You cannot build character and courage by taking away men's initiative and independence."

"You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves."

:salute: Abraham Lincoln:salute:

midcan5
05-09-2008, 06:21 AM
Wake up: the American Dream is over

"Even America's richest think they're getting too many tax breaks from a government determined to keep the poor in their place. As poverty in the US grows, Paul Harris wonders what happened to the Land of Opportunity"

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/columnists/story/0,,1792399,00.html

Sitarro
05-09-2008, 07:45 AM

"Even America's richest think they're getting too many tax breaks from a government determined to keep the poor in their place. As poverty in the US grows, Paul Harris wonders what happened to the Land of Opportunity"

Yea, that's cute, a reporter from a British rag editorializes about a subject he has no clue about. America's poor are some of the richest people in the world. Almost all have color television with a dvd player and cable, money for cigarettes, cell phones, decent clothing. All have opportunities to get out of the shit they are in by closing their legs, joining the military or any of hundreds of social programs including food stamps, HUD, etc.
Sure, the Ted Kennedys of the world had wealth thrown at him but most wealthy work hard for it and sacrifice much to get there.

Like most fat people, it is decisions they make that make them that way. I was in a chinese restaurant the other day and watched in amazement when a huge black woman at the table next to me almost emptied a sugar jar into her tea. Her and the huge guy she was with had ordered three entrees, giant heaping entrees. That is the other thing, America has the fattest poor in the world too.

mundame
05-09-2008, 08:01 AM
That is the other thing, America has the fattest poor in the world too.

Very true. America is a fat nation. That seems bad to us, but when I see photos of some of the food rioters in places where poverty means actual malnutrition, I remember that fat is rich, or at least having the choice to be fat is rich.

glockmail
05-09-2008, 08:29 AM

Like most fat people, it is decisions they make that make them that way. I was in a chinese restaurant the other day and watched in amazement when a huge black woman at the table next to me almost emptied a sugar jar into her tea. Her and the huge guy she was with had ordered three entrees, giant heaping entrees. That is the other thing, America has the fattest poor in the world too.
The wife and I have been playing this little game for years, finding the fattest person, couple, family, whatever, in a crowd or store. Now we have our kids doing it to. It looks like you may have won today's prize. :laugh2:

05-09-2008, 12:52 PM
A. Lincoln never said it.

Psychoblues
05-13-2008, 12:20 AM
Yep, it's cute, zero. Have you ever thought about thinking for a hobby?

midcan5
05-13-2008, 03:03 PM
"What is conservatism? Is it not adherence to the old and tried, against the new and untried?"

"Fourscore and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal."

"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration."

"The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew, and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country."

"I am rather inclined to silence, and whether that be wise or not, it is at least more unusual nowadays to find a man who can hold his tongue than to find one who cannot."

"I have never said anything to the contrary, but I hold that notwithstanding all this, there is no reason in the world why the negro is not entitled to all the natural rights enumerated in the Declaration of Independence, the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. I hold that he is as much entitled to these as the white man. I agree with Judge Douglas he is not my equal in many respects---certainly not in color, perhaps not in moral or intellectual endowment. But in the right to eat the bread, without leave of anybody else, which his own hand earns, he is my equal and the equal of Judge Douglas, and the equal of every living man. "

"I leave you, hoping that the lamp of liberty will burn in your bosoms until there shall no longer be a doubt that all men are created free and equal."

theHawk
05-13-2008, 03:39 PM

You have yet to explain how taxing "the rich" in any way benefits the poor. Our government doesn't do income redistribution. All they do is spend the money on government programs. So how does taxing them help poor people make more money?

midcan5
05-14-2008, 06:14 AM
You have yet to explain how taxing "the rich" in any way benefits the poor. Our government doesn't do income redistribution. All they do is spend the money on government programs. So how does taxing them help poor people make more money?

No one is taxing the rich or doing income redistribution. The country, the society, the democracy, the republic, belongs to all the people. 'We the people...' And the infrastructure belongs to all the people, so all the goods of the society belong to all the people because without all the people there would be no society.

Justice

"The usual argument for such a right is based on the assumption of perfectly competitive markets where factors of production are paid their marginal values and where there are no externalities. But this assumption does not hold to any reasonable degree of approximation in real societies. Access to the social capital–a major source of differences in income, between and within societies–is in large part the product of externalities: membership in a particular society, and interaction with other members of that society under practices that commonly give preferred access to particular members.

How large are these externalities, which must be regarded as owned jointly by members of the whole society? When we compare the poorest with the richest nations, it is hard to conclude that social capital can produce less than about 90 percent of income in wealthy societies like those of the United States or Northwestern Europe. On moral grounds, then, we could argue for a flat income tax of 90 percent to return that wealth to its real owners. In the United States, even a flat tax of 70 percent would support all governmental programs (about half the total tax) and allow payment, with the remainder, of a patrimony of about $8,000 per annum per inhabitant, or $25,000 for a family of three. This would generously leave with the original recipients of the income about three times what, according to my rough guess, they had earned."

http://www.bostonreview.net/BR25.5/simon.html

Yurt
05-14-2008, 11:14 AM
what about the 5th amendment...you can't simply take someone's property without due process of law