PDA

View Full Version : State Department Finds It Hard To Keep Track of Laptops

Kathianne
05-09-2008, 01:34 AM
I mean we all misplace them, right?

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/75415,us-state-department-loses-a-lot-of-laptops.aspx

US State Department loses a lot of laptops

By Egan Orion
7 May 2008 02:25PM
Hardware

It has surfaced that the US State Department can't account for up to about 1,000 laptops, perhaps as many as 400 of which belonged to the department's Anti-Terrorism Assistance Program.

The State Department's Inspector General has been conducting an equipment audit for three months. Only the first stage, an inventory, has been completed.

Internal auditors found that the department lost track of US$30 million worth of computer equipment, "the vast majority of which... perhaps as much as 99 percent," were laptops, according to one official.

Another official calculated that the average State Department laptop costs US$3,000 and figured that meant as many as 1,000 laptops might be astray - not 10,000 laptops as the US$30 million figure suggests. ...

05-09-2008, 06:59 AM
probably by people bashing them against the wall in frustration. Trust me government computers suck.

KitchenKitten99
05-09-2008, 07:44 AM
Maybe they should have invested in LoJack for laptops... I wouldn't mind footing the bill via taxes. Cheaper than replacing a whole computer, plus the risk of sensitive info on that computer.

Hagbard Celine
05-09-2008, 08:59 AM
Maybe they should have invested in LoJack for laptops... I wouldn't mind footing the bill via taxes. Cheaper than replacing a whole computer, plus the risk of sensitive info on that computer.

That's exactly what I was about to say. Someone needs to tell the Pentagon about LoJack. :rolleyes: You'd think that our "Intelligence" dept. would have a handle on stuff like that but you'd be wrong.