PDA

View Full Version : Will Obama Squander the Dems' Lead?

red states rule
05-09-2008, 05:44 AM
Even liberal moonbats like Paul Krugman is seeing what a lot of libs are trying to ignore - how the Dem party is being split by race and gender

Op-Ed Columnist
Thinking About November

By PAUL KRUGMAN
Published: May 9, 2008

snip

There’s just one thing that should give Democrats pause — but it’s a big one: the fight for the nomination has divided the party along class and race lines in a way that I believe is unprecedented, at least in modern times.

Ironically, much of Mr. Obama’s initial appeal was the hope that he could transcend these divisions. At first, voting patterns seemed consistent with this hope. In February, for example, he received the support of half of Virginia’s white voters as well as that of a huge majority of African-Americans.

But this week, Mr. Obama, while continuing to win huge African-American majorities, lost North Carolina whites by 23 points, Indiana whites by 22 points. Mr. Obama’s white support continues to be concentrated among the highly educated; there was little in Tuesday’s results to suggest that his problems with working-class whites have significantly diminished.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/09/opinion/09krugman.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

mundame
05-09-2008, 08:12 AM
There’s just one thing that should give Democrats pause — but it’s a big one: the fight for the nomination has divided the party along class and race lines in a way that I believe is unprecedented, at least in modern times.

It is unprecedented: and it's high time, too.

When this race started, it was non-PC even to refer to race!!

That went away fast, and it had to or totally deny reality and have all the news reporting be underground as most talk about race is in this country.

We have a lot more to explore about race because of this campaign, I think.

red states rule
05-09-2008, 11:03 AM
It is unprecedented: and it's high time, too.

When this race started, it was non-PC even to refer to race!!

That went away fast, and it had to or totally deny reality and have all the news reporting be underground as most talk about race is in this country.

We have a lot more to explore about race because of this campaign, I think.

On the other hand, some feel it it perfectly OK to vote for a candidate based on gender

mundame
05-09-2008, 12:50 PM
On the other hand, some feel it it perfectly OK to vote for a candidate based on gender

You bet your buppies.......... http://www.pagealumni.us/boards/style_emoticons/default/hippy2.gif

red states rule
05-09-2008, 12:51 PM
You bet your buppies.......... http://www.pagealumni.us/boards/style_emoticons/default/hippy2.gif

I have said if liberals did not have their double standards they would have no standards at all

Thank you for proving me right

mundame
05-09-2008, 01:05 PM

Mind you, I think it's fine to vote based on race as well as gender!! Why not?

I just don't care for the double standard: blacks can vote 92% for a black, but whites have to totally forget about race and vote on "issues" that don't take racial matters into account??

Saw-ree, that's an uh-uh.

So if people DO vote based on race, and 85% are white, I'd say things are looking pretty good for John McCain, little as he deserves it.

But wow, he sure is white. I never saw such a white guy -- pale, white hair, the whole deal.

red states rule
05-09-2008, 01:07 PM
Mind you, I think it's fine to vote based on race as well as gender!! Why not?

I just don't care for the double standard: blacks can vote 92% for a black, but whites have to totally forget about race and vote on "issues" that don't take racial matters into account??

Saw-ree, that's an uh-uh.

So if people DO vote based on race, and 85% are white, I'd say things are looking pretty good for John McCain, little as he deserves it.

But wow, he sure is white. I never saw such a white guy -- pale, white hair, the whole deal.

So you think it is bad for blacks to vote for Obama because he is black - but yiou have no problem voting for Hilllary because she is a women. Double standards plain and simple

I do love how the Dem party has been divided between race and gender.

mundame
05-09-2008, 01:34 PM
So you think it is bad for blacks to vote for Obama because he is black - but yiou have no problem voting for Hilllary because she is a women. Double standards plain and simple

Try reading my post more carefully, RSR: I said exactly the opposite of what you are imputing to me.

Blacks can vote 100% for Obalama for all I care. Men can vote for men only. Women can all vote for Hillary, or not, or whatever each woman chooses to do.

I'm, ahem, in favor of Choice.

I'm just saying that if people DO vote as identity voters, in the new phrase, there is some interesting arithmetic attached to that -----------

That is, there are more women, and lots more whites.

red states rule
05-09-2008, 01:36 PM
Try reading my post more carefully, RSR: I said exactly the opposite of what you are imputing to me.

Blacks can vote 100% for Obalama for all I care. Men can vote for men only. Women can all vote for Hillary, or not, or whatever each woman chooses to do.

I'm, ahem, in favor of Choice.

I'm just saying that if people DO vote as identity voters, in the new phrase, there is some interesting arithmetic attached to that -----------

That is, there are more women, and lots more whites.

Originally Posted by red states rule

You bet your buppies..........

Mundame, you have admitted you are voting for Hillary because she is a women.

There is not a dimes worth of difference betwen Hillary and Obama on the issues

IF you are voting on the issues, you should be happy with either one of them

mundame
05-09-2008, 01:43 PM
Mundame, you have admitted you are voting for Hillary because she is a women.

There is not a dimes worth of difference betwen Hillary and Obama on the issues

IF you are voting on the issues, you should be happy with either one of them

Correctomundo. You are catching on. I am NOT voting on the issues, I am voting for Hillary because she's somewhat like me and so I like her.

Obama is NOT like me, and McCain is NOT acceptable because he wants war forever, so the heck with them.

My husband asked me last night if I would vote for a Obama/Clinton ticket. Aaaaaaccccckkkk! I hadn't thought of that possibility before.

I don't think so. Enough, already. I get to take an election off once a lifetime.

Or I may make it a habit if things go on like this mess.

red states rule
05-09-2008, 01:45 PM
Correctomundo. You are catching on. I am NOT voting on the issues, I am voting for Hillary because she's somewhat like me and so I like her.

Obama is NOT like me, and McCain is NOT acceptable because he wants war forever, so the heck with them.

My husband asked me last night if I would vote for a Obama/Clinton ticket. Aaaaaaccccckkkk! I hadn't thought of that possibility before.

I don't think so. Enough, already. I get to take an election off once a lifetime.

Or I may make it a habit if things go on like this mess.

Like I said, you are not voting for Hillary on the issues - she has your vote because she is a women

Blacks are voting for Barry because he is black - like them

The Dems have made this race not about issues - but race and gender

mundame
05-09-2008, 01:48 PM
Like I said, you are not voting for Hillary on the issues - she has your vote because she is a women

Blacks are voting for Barry because he is black - like them

The Dems have made this race not about issues - but race and gender

I'm not a Dem, but your point is well known to all ---- http://bestsmileys.com/signs11/16.gif

red states rule
05-09-2008, 01:50 PM
I'm not a Dem, but your point is well known to all ---- http://bestsmileys.com/signs11/16.gif

Not a Dem eh? :rolleyes:

mundame
05-09-2008, 01:55 PM
Not a Dem eh? :rolleyes:

Nope, I was a Republican all my life till I reregistered as an Independent October 2006 because I'm so disgusted with how these wars have been handled.

What good would it do me to be a Democrat? They haven't done anything at all to stop the war. Zilch.

red states rule
05-09-2008, 06:55 PM
Nope, I was a Republican all my life till I reregistered as an Independent October 2006 because I'm so disgusted with how these wars have been handled.

What good would it do me to be a Democrat? They haven't done anything at all to stop the war. Zilch.

Dems have tried hard to undermine the government and the troops. Dems have tried over 40 times to insert a surrdender date in spending bills. Called the troops Nazi's, terroroists, and uneducated. Compared the troops to Pol Pot. Refused to renew the Terrorist Surveillance Bill - allowing terrorists to plan their attacks in privacy. Dems have undermined interrogation methods - standing tall for terrorist rights

The liberal media have published classified documements, telling the terrorists how they are being tracked and monitored

Yet despite their best efforts, the troops are killing the terrorists bastards and are winning the fight. Much to the dismay of the Democrat party - the party of surrender and appeasement