PDA

View Full Version : So close I could taste it

jimnyc
05-09-2008, 08:53 AM
As most of you know by now, I've been "trying" to make a business out of working online. Anyone who thinks for a minute that it's not a lot of work is kidding themselves. I actually put in more hours now than at any other job I've ever worked before. Most of my "income" thus far has been from developing websites short term and then selling them off for a profit. It only costs me $9 to register a domain and then spend a few weeks developing content and submitting to SE's and directories and other free advertising efforts, then sell off to someone who knows how to properly market for anywhere from $250-500. Do a bunch of these simultaneously and it helps pay the bills.

I'm on a good streak for the past few weeks with another effort but I'm afraid to see it as reality, afraid that it'll somehow be too good to be true and all end somehow.

What I'm doing is adding content to one of my sites in a non-stop manner. I'm spending $50-100 per week advertising this site on a few other sites, and in return I've made about $900. After the first week I doubled my advertising, and the ROI doubled as well. I can't go much further than that right now as it's eating about 20gig of transfer a day and I'm not prepared to get a dedicated server for just one site - yet. But $150-200 per week to make $1400-2200 is a nice exchange.

If this stays steady, then I can go dedicated and increase advertising exponentially so long as the ROI follows suit. But I can't help but think the bottom will fall out. I guess I'm a pessimist at heart.

Hagbard Celine
05-09-2008, 09:15 AM
"You've gotta believe in yourself Peter!"

Pale Rider
05-09-2008, 10:07 AM
I'm trying to make some money online as well Jim, but in a totally different fashion. Information is one of the easiest things to sell, or develop affiliate programs or get in one yourself, and/or have JV's, but you do need a "hook." You're right it's hard. There seems to me to be more to know than your average two year degree college course would teach you. I've spent a fair chunk of change already and read volumes and volumes of thousands of pages of "how to's," and I've yet to make one single penny. I can see myself getting closer, but man is it ever an uphill battle. Some of it is VERY complicated.

What I DO know for sure though is this, making money on the internet is one of the TOP THREE WAYS TO MAKE A FORTUNE, and there's no sign that it will saturate anytime soon.

MtnBiker
05-09-2008, 11:16 PM
Awesome Jim! I hope you continue to make a good fortune!

Psychoblues
05-10-2008, 12:44 AM
jimnyc, I see you all over the place. You'll do OK. Check your politics at this door in DP and get on with the getting on. Business in the general sense is apolitical but maybe you will be an exception to that rule.

I've supported you more than you might know.

Pale Rider
05-22-2008, 08:18 PM
As most of you know by now, I've been "trying" to make a business out of working online. Anyone who thinks for a minute that it's not a lot of work is kidding themselves. I actually put in more hours now than at any other job I've ever worked before. Most of my "income" thus far has been from developing websites short term and then selling them off for a profit. It only costs me $9 to register a domain and then spend a few weeks developing content and submitting to SE's and directories and other free advertising efforts, then sell off to someone who knows how to properly market for anywhere from $250-500. Do a bunch of these simultaneously and it helps pay the bills.

I'm on a good streak for the past few weeks with another effort but I'm afraid to see it as reality, afraid that it'll somehow be too good to be true and all end somehow.

What I'm doing is adding content to one of my sites in a non-stop manner. I'm spending $50-100 per week advertising this site on a few other sites, and in return I've made about $900. After the first week I doubled my advertising, and the ROI doubled as well. I can't go much further than that right now as it's eating about 20gig of transfer a day and I'm not prepared to get a dedicated server for just one site - yet. But $150-200 per week to make $1400-2200 is a nice exchange.

If this stays steady, then I can go dedicated and increase advertising exponentially so long as the ROI follows suit. But I can't help but think the bottom will fall out. I guess I'm a pessimist at heart.

So take a look at what I sent you.... let's get rich... :D

retiredman
05-22-2008, 09:30 PM
good luck to you Jim!