PDA

View Full Version : McCain flip flops on tax policy

typomaniac
05-11-2008, 04:47 PM
Just when you think John McCain can't give up any more of his integrity, he finds a way to do it.

-----------------------------
In 2001, McCain was just one of only two Republicans who voted against Bush's $1.35 trillion tax cut, yet now he has made renewing those budget-busting tax cuts a central component of his economic plan. The American people simply can't afford a third Bush economic term with John McCain.

The following are excerpts from the story:
McCain Offers Tax Policies He Once Opposed

Washington Post
By Jonathan Weisman April 25, 2008

"Now that he is the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, however, McCain is marching straight down the party line. The economic package he has laid out embraces many of the tax policies he once decried: extending Bush's tax cuts he voted against, offering investment tax breaks he once believed would have little economic benefit and granting the long-held wishes of tax lobbyists he has often mocked...

"In 2001, just days before Bush's first tax cut passed, McCain lamented on ABC's 'This Week' that, 'I'd like to see much more of this tax cut shared by working Americans. . . . I think it still devotes too much of it to the wealthiest Americans.' Almost exactly two years later, Bush was back for more: $350 billion in tax cuts, which accelerated the first round and added deep cuts to the tax rates on dividends and capital gains. 'Most of the economists view this as primarily benefiting wealthier Americans,' McCain said on CNBC at the time...

"Yet in Pittsburgh last week, in the face of a projected budget deficit of $400 billion and a sixth year of war, McCain proposed extending Bush's tax cuts, including the dividends and capital gains tax cuts, lowering the corporate income tax, allowing businesses to write off the cost of new equipment and technology, banning Internet and new cellphone taxes, and permanently extending the business tax credit for research and development. By McCain's accounting, his tax proposals would cost the Treasury $200 billion a year.

Link:

http://tax-stuff.com/news/dnc-mccain-tax-policies-opposed-04-08.html

So much for fiscal conservatism.

stephanie
05-11-2008, 06:23 PM
So..in your eyes...taxing of the people IS GOOD..

what would be "ENOUGH" taxes on people, for you greedy SOB's.

typomaniac
05-11-2008, 06:59 PM
So..in your eyes...taxing of the people IS GOOD..

High taxes are bad. Spending the nation into bankruptcy is many times worse.

05-11-2008, 07:12 PM
good to hear he has seen the light. Im not sure what the problem is here. Its not like one day he is taking one position and the other day another and switching back and forth like Kerry was.

theHawk
05-11-2008, 09:36 PM
So if you don' approve of every single tax cut proposal that crosses your desk that makes you a "flip-flopper"?

PostmodernProphet
05-11-2008, 10:00 PM
In 2001, McCain was just one of only two Republicans who voted against Bush's $1.35 trillion tax cut

he voted against it, because he wanted a pledge from Congress that they would cut spending.....don't you wish they had agreed to it?......

manu1959
05-11-2008, 10:03 PM
High taxes are bad. Spending the nation into bankruptcy is many times worse.

that is why mccain voted against the cuts in the first place....he wanted spending cuts.....

typomaniac
05-11-2008, 10:17 PM
good to hear he has seen the light. Im not sure what the problem is here. Its not like one day he is taking one position and the other day another and switching back and forth like Kerry was.

So flip flopping once is no problem at all; the only sin is to keep doing it. Uh huh. Everybody gets one do-over.

That's incredibly asinine, even for you.

05-11-2008, 10:40 PM
So flip flopping once is no problem at all; the only sin is to keep doing it. Uh huh. Everybody gets one do-over.

That's incredibly asinine, even for you.

People change their minds sometimes. It's not flip flopping to simply to change your mind about something. That's called growing.

It's changing every other day depending on what polls say thats the problem.

if that's asinine then so be it. But I think you are just upset because you know that people do change positions and grow and you are trying desperately to find some reason to dislike McCain. Oddly enough there are plenty of legitimate reasons to dislike him. But you cant accept those because those are the reasons you support in your candidate.

The only place youll find someone who doesnt grow or change is in a morgue.

DragonStryk72
05-12-2008, 12:18 AM

The problem is he's towing the bush line now, because he's trying to get the republicans to vote for him again. And, uh, on this, he is actually directly changing his mind, apparently.

The more I've watched this candidacy for both parties, the more I am convinced that we could see a 3rd party candidate make the grab.

typomaniac
05-12-2008, 11:40 AM
People change their minds sometimes. It's not flip flopping to simply to change your mind about something. That's called growing.

It's changing every other day depending on what polls say thats the problem.

if that's asinine then so be it. But I think you are just upset because you know that people do change positions and grow and you are trying desperately to find some reason to dislike McCain. Oddly enough there are plenty of legitimate reasons to dislike him. But you cant accept those because those are the reasons you support in your candidate.

The only place youll find someone who doesnt grow or change is in a morgue.

As a matter of fact, McCain's former fiscal conservatism was the only thing I actually liked about him. Now he doesn't even have that.

Psychoblues
05-13-2008, 12:16 AM
So,,,,,,,,,Now you tried and true conservatives want to defend Mr. McCain? I've always loved him and continue to do so. It would be a damned shame for most of you to repeat what you've said about him in the Repuke Runup.

I can't say, however, that it isn't typical of you half witted shitheads.

PostmodernProphet
05-13-2008, 06:01 AM
So,,,,,,,,,Now you tried and true conservatives want to defend Mr. McCain? I've always loved him and continue to do so. It would be a damned shame for most of you to repeat what you've said about him in the Repuke Runup.

I can't say, however, that it isn't typical of you half witted shitheads.

nah, I'm a full witted shithead....I got your half.....they said you weren't using it anyway....

05-13-2008, 08:34 AM
As a matter of fact, McCain's former fiscal conservatism was the only thing I actually liked about him. Now he doesn't even have that.

tax cuts and spending cuts are by definition fiscal conservatism.

typomaniac
05-13-2008, 10:59 AM
tax cuts and spending cuts are by definition fiscal conservatism.

Horse dung: fiscal conservatism is balancing the budget.

manu1959
05-13-2008, 11:15 AM
Horse dung: fiscal conservatism is balancing the budget.

bullshit....fiscal conservatisim is leveraging other peoples money....

typomaniac
05-13-2008, 12:20 PM
bullshit....fiscal conservatisim is leveraging other peoples money....

You can't leverage money that isn't your own, idiot. (When you borrow, you're the one being leveraged.)

Besides, governments aren't profit-driven: they don't borrow for the purpose of reinvesting at a higher return on assets as private businesses do.