PDA

View Full Version : what is youre definition of a moral issue vs a personal responsibility issue

actsnoblemartin
05-12-2008, 05:39 AM
what either makes it, or doesnt make it a moral issue or a personal responsibility issue

I'm thinking of this in terms of a philisophical

midcan5
05-12-2008, 10:44 AM
Morality for me is about doing what is right, doesn't mean not doing it is illegal just that it is the moral thing to do. Your girlfriend says how do I look tonight? You think, 'too much like a nun.' You say, "lovely." But some philosophers think of morality as grounded in our society's values and thus not fixed, still others think that certain common moral laws exist in all higher level primates due to recent evolutionary studies. Others ground morality in religion or religious beliefs. Some even think that without religion there would be no morality. If you look at primitive peoples you see morality is grounded more in group dynamics.

Ethics is closer to issues and arguments about responsibility. Ethical arguments are, is the action right or wrong. I may think it not moral to pay taxes to a government but the ethicist/law would argue it is my responsibility. Personal issues never cease to be both (?), but you may leave your wife because she got too fat which may be immoral but ok according to the law or ethics.

Suppose you told a woman you loved her and she agreed to an intimate relationship based on your promise but soon you tired of her and broke off the relationship. Would that be moral or do you have a personal responsibility because you promised?

(I am using these terms as I understand them)