PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Firms Bargain Hunting In USA

NATO AIR
05-12-2008, 02:59 PM
Ironic?

Chinese firms bargain hunting in U.S.
States are aggressively trying to lure companies looking to grow. Incentives and a weak dollar are spurring investment.
By Don Lee
Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

May 5, 2008

DONGGUAN, CHINA — Liu Keli couldn't tell you much about South Carolina, not even where it is in the United States. It's as obscure to him as his home region, Shanxi province, is to most Americans.

But Liu is investing $10 million in the Palmetto State, building a printing-plate factory that will open this fall and hire 120 workers. His main aim is to tap the large American market, but when his finance staff penciled out the costs, he was stunned to learn how they compared with those in China.

Liu spent about $500,000 for seven acres in Spartanburg -- less than one-fourth what it would cost to buy the same amount of land in Dongguan, a city in southeast China where he runs three plants. U.S. electricity rates are about 75% lower, and in South Carolina, Liu doesn't have to put up with frequent blackouts.

About the only major thing that's more expensive in Spartanburg is labor. Liu is looking to offer $12 to $13 an hour there, versus about $2 an hour in Dongguan, not including room and board. But Liu expects to offset some of the higher labor costs with a payroll tax credit of $1,500 per employee from South Carolina.

"I was surprised," said the 63-year-old president of Shanxi Yuncheng Plate-Making Group. "The gap's not as large as I thought."

Liu is part of a growing wave of Chinese entrepreneurs expanding into the U.S. From Spartanburg to Los Angeles they are building factories, buying companies and investing in business and real estate.
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fi-chinainvest5-2008may05,0,2669976,print.story

Dilloduck
05-12-2008, 04:06 PM
Ironic?

multi-capitalism (AKA corporate globalism). American culture will be wiped off the map.

NATO AIR
05-12-2008, 06:00 PM
multi-capitalism (AKA corporate globalism). American culture will be wiped off the map.

I'm sure the Chinese feel the same way! I visited my wife's workplace and went with her on a trip to the mainland last year where she was doing an RFID test in one of the factories. The plant manager was bristling at "American imperialist" business practices like taking inventory, developing a QA team, etc.

Quite amusing. Here I see a beneficial upside. The race to the bottom for wages is nearing an end, especially since sub-Saharan Africa shows no interest in joining the industrialized world. That means jobs returning to America on a small level, but more importantly, quality rejoins efficiency as the key motivators for businesses.

That's why American companies can compete, with better products and efficient work. Why the Malibu is a better car than the Camry this year and why Apple has been beating Sony's ass left and right for the past 7 years.