PDA

View Full Version : Man jailed when daughter fails to get diploma

LiberalNation
05-13-2008, 03:20 PM
Stupid, if a 17/18 yo doesn't want to go to school the parents have little power to make them.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080513/ap_on_re_us/odd_diploma_father_jailed;_ylt=AnTyFpdwEcVk_J89vIg NLXhvzwcF

CINCINNATI - A man ordered by a judge to make sure his daughter hit the books has found himself in jail because she failed to earn a high school equivalency diploma.

Brian Gegner, of Fairfield, was sentenced last week to 180 days in jail for contributing to the unruliness or delinquency of a minor.

He was ordered months ago to make sure his 18-year-old daughter Brittany Gegner, who has a history of truancy, received her GED — something that hasn't happened yet.

Brittany Gegner, who said Monday that she plans to take a required GED test this month, said her father shouldn't be blamed for her failure because she has been living with her mother.

"It was my wrongdoing, not his," said Brittany Gegner, whose fiance and 18-month-old daughter also live at her mother's home in nearby Hamilton. "He shouldn't have to go to jail for something I did."

Her mother agrees.

"Brittany is almost 19 years old now and I think it's unfair to put her father in jail," said Shana Roach. "She's an adult now, and it's not right to rip an innocent man from his home."

Butler County Juvenile Court administrator Rob Clevenger Jr. said Monday that the court still has jurisdiction in the case because Brittany Gegner was a juvenile when the truancy problems began and when the charge against Brian Gegner was filed in 2007.

A hearing on a motion filed by Brian Gegner's attorney to reconsider the sentence is scheduled for Friday. Messages seeking comment were not returned Monday at the offices of defense attorney Tamara Sack and the Butler County prosecutor.

Brian Gegner's wife, Stephanie Gegner, said she and her husband are afraid he will lose his job if he remains in jail. She said they tried to keep his daughter in school.

"You'd take her to school and she'd go out the other door," Stephanie Gegner said.

Hagbard Celine
05-13-2008, 03:26 PM
Eeeww. The mother's last name is Roach.

AllieBaba
05-13-2008, 03:28 PM
It's a pretty common last name. Hal Roach was an early Hollywood big wig.

glockmail
05-13-2008, 03:29 PM
Being 18, do you think its too late for her mom to get an abortion?

Hagbard Celine
05-13-2008, 03:31 PM
Being 18, do you think its too late for her mom to get an abortion?

Yes, abortion is a valid issue to bring up in this thread.

Hagbard Celine
05-13-2008, 03:33 PM
It's a pretty common last name. Hal Roach was an early Hollywood big wig.

Eeeew, roaches are gross!
http://www.wireheading.com/roboroach/robo-roach.jpg

Except for bionic roach. He's cool.

glockmail
05-13-2008, 03:43 PM
Yes, abortion is a valid issue to bring up in this thread.
I'm glad that you agree. If her mom had ready access to a third trimester drive-through abortion, paid by the State, then this wouldn't be a problem.

Hagbard Celine
05-13-2008, 03:51 PM
I'm glad that you agree. If her mom had ready access to a third trimester drive-through abortion, paid by the State, then this wouldn't be a problem.

Yes, that is correct. I'm glad that you're for this. Afterall, Conservatives are always so gung-ho for using $30,000-bought-with-tax-dollar missiles to blow-up foreign children so it would only follow that you'd be for just going ahead and using those tax dollars to kill them in-utero here at home. It makes me happy to finally see such honesty in one of the board's most Conservative members. Thanks Glock.

glockmail
05-13-2008, 04:07 PM
Yes, that is correct. I'm glad that you're for this. Afterall, Conservatives are always so gung-ho for using $30,000-bought-with-tax-dollar missiles to blow-up foreign children so it would only follow that you'd be for just going ahead and using those tax dollars to kill them in-utero here at home. It makes me happy to finally see such honesty in one of the board's most Conservative members. Thanks Glock. You forgot to drone on about the vast military-industrial complex and the evil corporations that make those bombs targeted specially for female non-Christian children of color. I'm sorry but without that you won't find me agreeing with you on anything. Oh and how the terrorists wouldn’t hate us if we’d just let them kill Jews.

Hagbard Celine
05-13-2008, 04:14 PM
You forgot to drone on about the vast military-industrial complex and the evil corporations that make those bombs targeted specially for female non-Christian children of color. I'm sorry but without that you won't find me agreeing with you on anything. Oh and how the terrorists wouldn’t hate us if we’d just let them kill Jews.

Yes, thanks for bringing that up. As I've OFTEN said in many of my previous posts, the best thing to do about the Middle East is to give the Arabs carte blanche on Israel and let them blow the damn thing up.
And you're totally right about the military industrial complex (or as my fellow libs call it the MIC.) The MIC has been programming missiles to target brown women and children for decades. I'm glad you've finally admitted this. You're really coming around glock. I never thought I'd see the day.
Now if I can only get you to vote for Obama then the lib dream that is Sharia Law in the US will finally come true and the number one priority for the government will be shifted from defense to outlawing Christianity and providing free abortions with every purchase of a pack of marijuana cigarettes made by a girl under 16. OOOooh! If only!

glockmail
05-13-2008, 04:23 PM
Yes, thanks for bringing that up. As I've OFTEN said in many of my previous posts, the best thing to do about the Middle East is to give the Arabs carte blanche on Israel and let them blow the damn thing up.
And you're totally right about the military industrial complex (or as my fellow libs call it the MIC.) The MIC has been programming missiles to target brown women and children for decades. I'm glad you've finally admitted this. You're really coming around glock. I never thought I'd see the day.
Now if I can only get you to vote for Obama then the lib dream that is Sharia Law in the US will finally come true and the number one priority for the government will be shifted from defense to outlawing Christianity and providing free abortions with every purchase of a pack of marijuana cigarettes made by a girl under 16. OOOooh! If only! Throw in free oral sex with the 16 year old girls and I think we can make this whole thing work. Just as long as we stop all oil, gas, and coal production inside US borders, plus shut down all nuclear power plants, so the A-Habs have all of our money to annihilate Israel quickly. I don't want to see them suffer while I'm getting my rusty trombone.

diuretic
05-13-2008, 05:38 PM
Isn't she an adult at 18? This seems to be just plain wrong.

Noir
05-13-2008, 05:44 PM
What on earth? They can send parents to jail because there children aren't doing well enough in school? That's just plain ridiculous.