PDA

View Full Version : Defining conservative

05-13-2008, 06:09 PM
http://www.glennbeck.com/content/articles/article/198/9949/

GLENN: Ken, here it is. To be a conservative is, in my definition, is somebody that believes in the power of the individual, somebody that believes, please let me make my decisions, that I have a right to succeed and not be penalized for it. I have a right to fail and have no one run to me if I don't want them to run to me. A conservative believes I have a right to manage my family, I have a right to discipline my family in the way I see fit, as long as it is not criminal. A conservative believes I have the right to worship God, I have a right to worship the God of my understanding, and I do not have the right to jam my version of God down anybody else's throat or my version of no God down anybody's throat. A conservative believes live and let live. That's what a conservative believes. A conservative believes in the smallest amount of government, the smallest government you can get without anarchy. That's what a conservative believes.

midcan5
05-13-2008, 08:21 PM
That sounds a little bit like a guilt trip! Rather negative and not positive. I have to check out rest tomorrow.

05-13-2008, 08:57 PM
That sounds a little bit like a guilt trip! Rather negative and not positive. I have to check out rest tomorrow.

What part of that makes you feel guilty? What part of empowering individuals makes you feel bad? And more to the point, why does empowering individuals make you feel guilty rather than inspired?

midcan5
05-14-2008, 06:20 AM
What part of that makes you feel guilty? What part of empowering individuals makes you feel bad? And more to the point, why does empowering individuals make you feel guilty rather than inspired?

Not me, but for Glenn. First, he borrows the key liberal concern, individual rights, the least he could have done is give them credit. Then like a spoiled child who says, 'what I do is Ok because I am me,' he excuses some vague wrong??? that is the guilty thinking. Isn't he free enough to do what he wants without all this thinking about whether it is Ok or not. Kinda weird to me, but I still haven't had time to read it critically.

05-14-2008, 06:59 AM
Not me, but for Glenn. First, he borrows the key liberal concern, individual rights, the least he could have done is give them credit. Then like a spoiled child who says, 'what I do is Ok because I am me,' he excuses some vague wrong??? that is the guilty thinking. Isn't he free enough to do what he wants without all this thinking about whether it is Ok or not. Kinda weird to me, but I still haven't had time to read it critically.

Liberals arent concerned with individuals rights. If they were they wouldnt be empowering government to take away individual rights.

You seem to think that freedom is something to be guilty of? its exactly what conservatism is. But then thats why you dont like it

PostmodernProphet
05-14-2008, 08:32 AM
. First, he borrows the key liberal concern, individual rights

you seem to have liberals and libertarians confused.....liberals are in favor of the state providing a safe, comfortable cocoon for the individual so he doesn't have to take any risks....

midcan5
05-15-2008, 06:31 PM
Finally went back and read this, Glenn's conservative could equally hold for most liberals, so in the end there wasn't much there. I will comment on two things he said.

"GLENN: Sure, okay. So now we understand your agenda, that you do have an axe to grind. And that's fine. I don't know what your political background is. I'm not going to call you a liberal. I have no idea if you're a liberal. So I have no idea, but I appreciate you being honest and telling me where you're coming from and showing me that we're not having an honest dialogue."

Throughout the call, he goes on the defensive and calls the caller dishonest. I found that curious as he could simply say this is what a conservative is, rather then trying to neutralize the caller before he even has much of a chance to talk. This is the sign of a very insecure person.

GLENN "Again, the stories -- the story's facts were little, a little thin to be able to paint anybody who's against Barack Obama as a racist. Even the campaign will not do that and yet the media needs to paint people against Barack Obama as a racist."

The voters were asked if race was a consideration, and enough said it was to make it an issue. They were the honest ones in my opinion; this shows you that in many places in the country we have not got much beyond the sixties.