PDA

View Full Version : Chicago overturns ban on foie gras in restaurants

Yurt
05-14-2008, 09:20 PM
Chicago overturns ban on foie gras in restaurants

CHICAGO - Dining on foie gras — a delicacy made of duck and goose liver — will soon be legal again in Chicago.

The City Council on Wednesday repealed its two-year-old ban on the gourmet dish, drawing dissent from animal rights activists who consider foie gras cruel because the birds are force-fed to make their livers bigger.

But there were no worries in chef Didier Durand's restaurant, Cyrano's Bistrot.

"All of us are so excited," Durand told reporters as he held his pet duck, Nicolai, named after French President Nicolas Sarkozy. "People miss it. They used to go to the suburbs to get foie gras and stopped going to specifically French restaurants."

You might disagree with serving foie gras, but you don't do a ban and forbid everybody to have foie gras," Durand said. His restaurant was one of many across the city that held foie gras dinners in the days before the ban took effect.

The animal rights group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals called the repeal a political maneuver benefiting the restaurant industry. The Virginia-based organization said the council's first "compassionate decision was reversed in a secretive, rushed bow to special interests that benefit from the cruel treatment of animals."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080514/ap_on_re_us/foie_gras_ban;_ylt=Anpac4H2NNkPgW6E11n4pg8EtbAF

is there such a thing as --> ethical treatment for animals?

Kathianne
05-14-2008, 09:25 PM
Chicago overturns ban on foie gras in restaurants

CHICAGO - Dining on foie gras — a delicacy made of duck and goose liver — will soon be legal again in Chicago.

The City Council on Wednesday repealed its two-year-old ban on the gourmet dish, drawing dissent from animal rights activists who consider foie gras cruel because the birds are force-fed to make their livers bigger.

But there were no worries in chef Didier Durand's restaurant, Cyrano's Bistrot.

"All of us are so excited," Durand told reporters as he held his pet duck, Nicolai, named after French President Nicolas Sarkozy. "People miss it. They used to go to the suburbs to get foie gras and stopped going to specifically French restaurants."

You might disagree with serving foie gras, but you don't do a ban and forbid everybody to have foie gras," Durand said. His restaurant was one of many across the city that held foie gras dinners in the days before the ban took effect.

The animal rights group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals called the repeal a political maneuver benefiting the restaurant industry. The Virginia-based organization said the council's first "compassionate decision was reversed in a secretive, rushed bow to special interests that benefit from the cruel treatment of animals."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080514/ap_on_re_us/foie_gras_ban;_ylt=Anpac4H2NNkPgW6E11n4pg8EtbAF

It's been a joke since the beginning, the restaurants just verbally let customers know it was available. That is Chicago at it's finest.

Yurt
05-14-2008, 09:29 PM
It's been a joke since the beginning, the restaurants just verbally let customers know it was available. That is Chicago at it's finest.

fair enough... is there such a thing as.... ethical treatment for animals?

dread
05-14-2008, 10:00 PM
I like eating animals. However liver will never be on the menu. Yuk!

Yurt
05-14-2008, 10:08 PM

ok.....is there such a thing as.... ethical treatment for animals?

dread
05-14-2008, 10:19 PM
ok.....is there such a thing as.... ethical treatment for animals?

Yes. Dont kill them for shits and giggles. Kill them then eat them. It is part of the cycle of life.

Yurt
05-14-2008, 10:23 PM
Yes. Dont kill them for shits and giggles. Kill them then eat them. It is part of the cycle of life.

so foie gras is for survival? part of th cylce of life?

retiredman
05-14-2008, 10:48 PM

reasonable question. I would suggest that some might feel that killing them and then eating them is bad enough....making their lives living hell for months before we kill and eat them crosses the line.

dread
05-14-2008, 11:42 PM
so foie gras is for survival? part of th cylce of life?

Personally I dont think so. Liver is the part of the body that filters through all the nasty shit. Not something I would want for my body.

Are you saying humans SHOULDN'T eat meat?

DragonStryk72
05-15-2008, 01:39 AM

Actually, foie gras is really good.

sorry, Virginian or not, I just can't get behind PETA on this one. Yes, birds that are being bred for food are being fed to increase the yield, like fattening a turkey, or a cow.