PDA

View Full Version : Why No Call For A 'Windfall Profits' Tax On Farmers?

Kathianne
05-15-2008, 08:50 AM
50% income increase over the average in a year. If good for the oil companies, should be good for any other segment of the economy. Not this Congress, instead they are increasing subsidies, actually adding to the inflationary effect hitting us daily.

http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2008_05_11-2008_05_17.shtml#1210810736

[Jim Lindgren, May 14, 2008 at 8:18pm] Trackbacks
A Windfall Profits Tax for Farmers--Heavens, No!--

Given the huge increase in food prices and farm incomes, I wonder why some of our politicians aren’t proposing a windfall profits tax on farmers.

To the contrary, Congress is passing a big farm bill with more pork for farmers:

A Porker Of A Farm Bill

The latest score on farm legislation: Congress 1, President Bush 0. And there's a good chance for a shutout within the next few days.

Wednesday afternoon, the House of Representatives overwhelmingly passed a much-debated Farm Bill, with a veto-proof 318-106 vote. The measure, stuffed with lawmakers' pet projects for local farmers, now moves to the Senate, where it is also likely to pass. Bush, now traveling in the Middle East, has threatened to veto the $290 billion bill because it gives generous subsidies to farmers, many of whom are now reaping the benefits of higher food prices.

"Farm income is expected to exceed the 10-year average by 50% this year, yet Congress' bill asks American taxpayers to subsidize the incomes of married farmers who earn $1.5 million per year," he said in a statement Tuesday.

theHawk
05-15-2008, 09:07 AM
Its an election year. You think the Dem Congress is going to grow a backbone now?

PostmodernProphet
05-15-2008, 09:07 AM
be perfectly clear.....what is at issue isn't subsidies to farmers....the big bucks are going to companies like Monsanto and Con-Agra......

Kathianne
05-15-2008, 09:44 AM
be perfectly clear.....what is at issue isn't subsidies to farmers....the big bucks are going to companies like Monsanto and Con-Agra......

I really don't care, they should be stopped. Why not windfall profits tax on them?

PostmodernProphet
05-15-2008, 09:54 AM
I really don't care, they should be stopped. Why not windfall profits tax on them?

because I don't think there should be a "windfall" profits tax on anyone.....however, I don't think there should be subsidies to them either.....Bush had called for a subsidy cap of $200k instead of $1.5 million....unfortunately, a veto-proof vote puts the whammy on that....I think he should veto it anyway and make them go through the vote.....

Dilloduck
05-15-2008, 10:01 AM

Good point---the small farmers were shoved out of the business years ago

Kathianne
05-15-2008, 10:25 AM
because I don't think there should be a "windfall" profits tax on anyone.....however, I don't think there should be subsidies to them either.....Bush had called for a subsidy cap of $200k instead of $1.5 million....unfortunately, a veto-proof vote puts the whammy on that....I think he should veto it anyway and make them go through the vote.....

We agree, but if going after 'big business' for oil, then there should be some sort of formula.

manu1959
05-15-2008, 10:59 AM
how about trial lawyers.......ketchup conglomerates.....soros.....

Little-Acorn
05-15-2008, 11:12 AM
Democrats put "windfall profits taxes" on corporations, for the same reason gangsters rob banks: That's where the money is, and they want it.

The only difference is, gangsters don't bother pretending that what they're doing is right.

Trying to cloak the Dems' actions in moralistic platitudes, is laughable.

Kathianne
05-15-2008, 12:00 PM
how about trial lawyers.......ketchup conglomerates.....soros.....

Yep, if for one, all.