PDA

View Full Version : Indictment in MySpace bullying/suicide case

hjmick
05-15-2008, 02:41 PM
This is interesting...

I'm sure many of you recall the Missouri case in which a 13 year old girl committed suicide after encountering some online bullying by acquaintances and the mother of one of said acquaintances. Well, it seems as though a Los Angeles federal grand jury has indicted the adult woman who was involved. Missouri officials could find no grounds to prsecute the woman in question so you may ask, how it is possible for an L.A. federal grand jury to indict a Misouri resident? Well, it seems that since MySpace is based in Beverly Hills, this opened the door for Los Angeles authorities to do what Missouri officials were unable to accomplish. I imagine there is some sort of interstate wire law involved, but that's only a guess. Should be interesting.

Woman is indicted in Missouri MySpace suicide case
May 15 02:55 PM US/Eastern
By LINDA DEUTSCH
AP Special Correspondent Write a Comment

LOS ANGELES (AP) - A Los Angeles federal grand jury has indicted a Missouri woman for her alleged role in a MySpace online hoax played on a 13-year-old girl who committed suicide.
Lori Drew of suburban St. Louis was indicted Thursday on one count of conspiracy and three counts of accessing protected computers without authorization to obtain information to inflict emotional distress.

Drew allegedly helped create a false-identity MySpace account to contact neighbor Megan Meier who thought she was chatting with a 16- year-old boy named Josh Evans.

Meier hanged herself in October 2006 after receiving cruel messages, including one stating the world would be better off without her.

Drew has denied creating the account and sending messages to Megan.

MySpace is based in Beverly Hills.

Source (http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D90M8FVG1&show_article=1)

manu1959
05-15-2008, 02:50 PM
hmmmmmmmmmmmm......wanders off to buld case against mfm......:poke:

theHawk
05-15-2008, 02:57 PM
That mother deserves to be thrown in jail for what she did. Manipulating a thirteen year old girl like that.

Yurt
05-15-2008, 03:04 PM
hmmmmmmmmmmmm......wanders off to buld case against mfm......:poke:

:lol:

very interesting, if this goes through, then does this mean anything done on the internet will be prosecutable in any state?

hjmick
05-15-2008, 03:06 PM
That mother deserves to be thrown in jail for what she did. Manipulating a thirteen year old girl like that.

I always thought so.

05-15-2008, 03:15 PM
I dont know about this tactic to put her in jail. Im alittle uncomfortable with the idea that opening a myspace account or any other internet account could open myself up to law suits in states i have no connection to. Can an internet account provide personal jurisdiction? I know if i were the defense lawyers id be appealing that one up to the Supreme Court.

hjmick
05-15-2008, 03:29 PM
I dont know about this tactic to put her in jail. Im alittle uncomfortable with the idea that opening a myspace account or any other internet account could open myself up to law suits in states i have no connection to. Can an internet account provide personal jurisdiction? I know if i were the defense lawyers id be appealing that one up to the Supreme Court.

Like I said, it should be interesting.

mundame
05-15-2008, 09:42 PM
Like I said, it should be interesting.

I just watched the new movie "Untraceable" tonight, and it reminds me of this case. The idea is that a crazy has a website on which he streams live video of a murder mechanism that works faster depending on more people accessing the site. So watchers are accessories, in a sense.

They show blog comments by people coming to the site, and they are pretty degraded comments, badly spelled, ungrammatical affirmations of the cheap thrills of watching someone die. That's why I'm on right now, to remind myself that it's not really that bad online.

But in the case of that perverted mother who drove the girl to suicide, it is that bad.