PDA

View Full Version : Immigration Raid Jars a Small Town

dread
05-18-2008, 11:09 AM
Monday's raid on the Agriprocessors plant, in which 389 immigrants were arrested and many held at a cattle exhibit hall, was the Bush administration's largest crackdown on illegal workers at a single site. It has upended this tree-lined community, which calls itself "Hometown to the World." Half of the school system's 600 students were absent Tuesday, including 90 percent of Hispanic children, because their parents were arrested or in hiding.

Current and former officials of the Department of Homeland Security say its raid on the largest employer in northeast Iowa reflects the administration's decision to put pressure on companies with large numbers of illegal immigrant workers, particularly in the meat industry. But its disruptive impact on the nation's largest supplier of kosher beef and on the surrounding community has provoked renewed criticism that the administration is disproportionately targeting workers instead of employers, and that the resulting turmoil is worse than the underlying crimes.

"They don't go after employers. They don't put CEOs in jail," complained the Postville Community Schools superintendent, David Strudthoff, 51, who said the sudden incarceration of more than 10 percent of the town's population of 2,300 "is like a natural disaster -- only this one is manmade."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/17/AR2008051702474_pf.html

So they built their town on the backs of illegals. Way to go!

82Marine89
05-18-2008, 11:15 AM
"They don't go after employers. They don't put CEOs in jail," complained the Postville Community Schools superintendent, David Strudthoff, 51, who said the sudden incarceration of more than 10 percent of the town's population of 2,300 "is like a natural disaster -- only this one is manmade."

Why does he care? He just lost half his funding since those kids are not attending school. Now he should take a trip to Louisiana and explain his plight of a natural disaster.

DragonStryk72
05-18-2008, 11:17 AM
I do understand their problem, though. I mean, Strudhoff is compalining about the fact that they won't actually arrest the business owners who are knowing hiring the illegals in mass numbers. I mean, come on, 389 illegals working there, and he didn't know they were illegals?

If you don't go after the person hiring the illegals, then arresting these people will have no lasting effect on the actual problem.

dread
05-18-2008, 11:22 AM
I do understand their problem, though. I mean, Strudhoff is compalining about the fact that they won't actually arrest the business owners who are knowing hiring the illegals in mass numbers. I mean, come on, 389 illegals working there, and he didn't know they were illegals?

If you don't go after the person hiring the illegals, then arresting these people will have no lasting effect on the actual problem.

How about the fact that the WHOLE DAMN TOWN knew about it and didnt do a fuckin thing about it. They are ALL equally responsible.

82Marine89
05-18-2008, 11:24 AM
If properly fined, the owner would have to pay $3,890,000.00 in penalties. It makes you wonder why our government, a government that loves to spend our money, won't fine him. Do they think they can make more than that in tax revenue over the life of his business? With all the write-offs, I doubt it.

dread
05-18-2008, 11:29 AM
If properly fined, the owner would have to pay $3,890,000.00 in penalties. It makes you wonder why our government, a government that loves to spend our money, won't fine him. Do they think they can make more than that in tax revenue over the life of his business? With all the write-offs, I doubt it.

Oooooo...Good point!

Dilloduck
05-18-2008, 02:37 PM

I think you are zeroing in on the nature of punishing criminals in America but that's a whole different thread-----

Gaffer
05-18-2008, 03:54 PM
Once they arrest the illegals they then have the proof that the employer had hired them and had knowledge of their status. That's what they need to take the company and CEO's to court. Now they have the evidence and need to follow up. Not just prosecute the illegals.

gabosaurus
05-18-2008, 05:41 PM
Good point, gaffer. Shut down all the companies that employ illegals, and the illegals will have no further reason to cross the border.

Kathianne
05-18-2008, 05:44 PM
Good point, gaffer. Shut down all the companies that employ illegals, and the illegals will have no further reason to cross the border.

Exactly and what I've been saying for a few years. Don't hit the aliens, hit the employers, hard.

Gaffer
05-18-2008, 05:58 PM
Anyone with common sense can see if you dry up the job market for illegals they will leave. Only those with a greedy or power agenda won't agree with that.

DragonStryk72
05-18-2008, 08:05 PM
How about the fact that the WHOLE DAMN TOWN knew about it and didnt do a fuckin thing about it. They are ALL equally responsible.

Yes, because we have the space in our jails for 1900 people. The Hiring entity, the business, was responsible for collecting id and SS numbers, and checking them. They knew they were hiring large numbers of illegals. As Gaffer has covered, the only to start decreasing the number of illegals is to go after the businesses hiring them. When you only arrest the illegals, and leave the business alone, then nothing changes, more will simply fill up the gap, and worse, they'll be more careful about it, and it will become harder to police later.