PDA

View Full Version : 31,000 Scientists Rejecting Global Warming Theory

red states rule
05-19-2008, 09:16 AM
reject the theory of anthropogenic global warming

Is it sinking into the rabid lib mind yet? Al Gore, call your office

31,000 Scientists Rejecting Global Warming Theory to be Named Monday

snip

No such consensus or settled science exists. As indicated by the petition text and signatory list, a very large number of American scientists reject this hypothesis.

It is evident that 31,072 Americans with university degrees in science - including 9,021 PhDs, are not "a few." Moreover, from the clear and strong petition statement that they have signed, it is evident that these 31,072 American scientists are not "skeptics."

Folks should recall that this petition was first circulated in 1999 garnering more than 19,000 signatures. The alarmists discounted its significance because there were some duplicate names, and some of the signatories apparently weren't scientists -- or so the story goes.

With over 31,000 now on the list, all with degrees in science -- including 9,000 PhDs! -- what might this do to the nonsensical premise of there being a consensus concerning this issue

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2008/05/18/31-000-scientists-rejecting-global-warming-theory-be-named-monday

glockmail
05-19-2008, 09:18 AM
The debate is over Red. These guys are all kooks.

red states rule
05-19-2008, 09:20 AM

I know, but I like to keep poiting out how lame their arguments are

Now will someone please tell McCain

Global warming is hitting my area real bad

It is 50 degrees here right now

midcan5
05-19-2008, 09:28 AM

Irony, cynicism, or sense?

The argument is pretty much over in that most people agree with Gore, even if they disagree with all the details.

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/science/topics/globalwarming/index.html

"On Feb. 2, 2007, the United Nations scientific panel studying climate change declared that the evidence of a warming trend is "unequivocal," and that human activity has "very likely" been the driving force in that change over the last 50 years. The last report by the group, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, in 2001, had found that humanity had "likely" played a role.

The addition of that single word "very" did more than reflect mounting scientific evidence that the release of carbon dioxide and other heat-trapping gases from smokestacks, tailpipes and burning forests has played a central role in raising the average surface temperature of the earth by more than 1 degree Fahrenheit since 1900."

red states rule
05-19-2008, 09:31 AM

The argument is pretty much over in that most people agree with Gore, even if they disagree with all the details.

"On Feb. 2, 2007, the United Nations scientific panel studying climate change declared that the evidence of a warming trend is "unequivocal," and that human activity has "very likely" been the driving force in that change over the last 50 years. The last report by the group, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, in 2001, had found that humanity had "likely" played a role.

The addition of that single word "very" did more than reflect mounting scientific evidence that the release of carbon dioxide and other heat-trapping gases from smokestacks, tailpipes and burning forests has played a central role in raising the average surface temperature of the earth by more than 1 degree Fahrenheit since 1900."

and the dire doom and gloom forcasts keep coming from the enviro wackos

Global Warming Will Force Us All To Eat Bugs
By Noel Sheppard | February 14, 2008 - 11:14 ET

Shortly after New Years, NewsBusters informed readers about a new horror movie wherein nature attacks oil workers in Alaska to prevent global warming.

To further scare people into sacrificing their financial well-being in order to stave off the liberal bogeyman, HuffPoster Kerry Trueman on Tuesday suggested that food shortages will be so rampant if we don't stop climate change that we'll all end up eating bugs.

I kid you not.

"If the thought of eating bugs and roadkill freaks you out, consider this: competition for the world's dwindling resources is heating up right along with the planet, and global warming is worsening food shortages all over the world. In this land o' plenty o' processed foods, most Americans can't imagine an era when we'd be forced to subsist on weeds, bugs, and -- till we run out of gas -- roadkill."

And you thought I was pulling your leg, didn't you? Fortunately, Kerry had some great culinary ideas for us:

"Is it time to start chowing down on some of those crawly critters we instinctively prefer to stomp on? The Feral Forager, a self-published 'zine excerpted in Sandor Katz's The Revolution Will Not Be Microwaved, rebrands pill bugs as "land shrimp"; grasshoppers are "surprisingly tasty and filling" and taste "something like popcorn"; crickets, "incredibly high in calcium and potassium." Roasted grubs make a fat-filled protein snack that, again, tastes "a lot like popcorn."

Earthworms make "a very nutritious flour," and ant eggs are edible, too; raw ant eggs reportedly taste "like couscous", but the author of the article confesses that "the only time I tried this it tasted like a hundred ants biting my tongue..."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kerry-trueman/who-needs-meat-when-youv_b_86288.html

and

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kerry-trueman/who-needs-meat-when-youv_b_86288.html

glockmail
05-19-2008, 10:05 AM

To me the argument is not worth pursuing, since the best way to reduce US greenhouse gas is also the best way to energy independece: nuclear power.

glockmail
05-19-2008, 10:06 AM

McCain's for nuclear power, so he might have the same methodology that I have, just using the pragmatism of a politician.

red states rule
05-19-2008, 10:07 AM
To me the argument is not worth pursuing, since the best way to reduce US greenhouse gas is also the best way to energy independece: nuclear power.

The DNC Times has been ranting about global warming for 150 years

CLIMATOLOGY

January 5, 1855, Wednesday

Page 4, 863 words

DISPLAYING FIRST PARAGRAPH - As the climate of every country has an inseparable relation with the physical character of its inhabitants, the attention of the Government was directed, some few years since, to the collection of correct meteorological statistics throughout the whole of the United States.

THIS CLIMATE OF OURS; WHY THESE OPEN WINTERS AND TEMPERATE SUMMERS? THE GEOLOGICAL EVIDENCE OF THE ALTERNATE PREVALENCE OF A SEMITROPICAL ATMOSPHERE.

Climate Perculiarities of New-York.

January 2, 1870, Wednesday

Page 4, 500 words

DISPLAYING FIRST PARAGRAPH - The climate of New-York and the contigu ons Atlantic seaboard has long been a study of great interest. We have just experienced a remarkable instance of its peculiarity The Hudson River, by a singular freak of temperature, has thrown off its icy mantle and opened its waters to navigation.

IS CLIMATE CHANGING?--

March 25, 1888, Wednesday

Page 13, 440 words

DISPLAYING FIRST PARAGRAPH - Formerly wine was made in England, the change of climate might be the principal reason that this manufacture does not now flourish. There are, however, many reasons why British wine ...

IS OUR CLIMATE CHANGING?

February 3, 1889, Wednesday

Page 4, 778 words

DISPLAYING FIRST PARAGRAPH - An article in the Forum for February is upon the subject of the much-talked-of change in our climate. The writer, Prof. CLEVELAND ABBE, says that the notion that it is possible for a climate to change to a modern one. Our ancestors lived in a region ...

THIS CLIMATE OF OURS; WHY THESE OPEN WINTERS AND TEMPERATE SUMMERS? THE GEOLOGICAL EVIDENCE OF THE ALTERNATE PREVALENCE OF A SEMITROPICAL ATMOSPHERE.

June 23, 1890, Wednesday

Page 5, 1905 words

DISPLAYING FIRST PARAGRAPH - Is our climate changing? The succession of temperate Summers and open Winters through several years, culminating last Winter in the almost total failure of the ice crop throughout the valley of the Hudson, makes the question pertinent. The older inhabitants tell us that the Winters are not as cold now as when they were young, and we have all observed a marked diminution of the average cold even in this last decade.

FACT AND FANCY ABOUT CLIMATE; Prof. Ward in His New Book Discusses Various Popular Notions Regarding the Weather.

May 30, 1908, Saturday

Section: SATURDAY REVIEW OF BOOKS, Page 18, 1432 words

DISPLAYING FIRST PARAGRAPH - AS popular misconceptions of variations in the weather are frequent and shiding, Prof. Ward has rendered the public a service in producing a book on climate which "can be read by an intelligent person who has not had special or extended training in the technicalities of the science."

Nation Is Held on Verge of Climate Shift; Experts See Old-Fashioned Winters Back

December 16, 1934, Sunday

By The Associated Press.

Section: SECOND NEWS SECTION, Page N8, 361 words

DISPLAYING FIRST PARAGRAPH - WASHINGTON, Dec. 15. -- America is believed by Weather Bureau scientists to be on the verge of a change of climate, with a return to increasing rains and deeper snows and the colder Winters of grandfather's day.

Warming Arctic Climate Melting Glaciers Faster, Raising Ocean Level, Scientist Says

May 30, 1947, Friday

By GLADWIN HILLSpecial to THE NEW YORK TIMES.

Page 23, 366 words

DISPLAYING FIRST PARAGRAPH - LOS ANGELES, May 29 -- A mysterious warming of the climate is slowly manifesting itself in the Arctic, engendering a "serious international problem," Dr. Hans Ahlmann, noted Swedish geophysicist, said today.

for all the rants

http://newsbusters.org/node/11640

retiredman
05-19-2008, 10:29 AM
reject the theory of anthropogenic global warming

Is it sinking into the rabid lib mind yet? Al Gore, call your office

31,000 Scientists Rejecting Global Warming Theory to be Named Monday

how many support it?

red states rule
05-19-2008, 10:31 AM
how many support it?

So you want the truth about global warming (or is it global cooling, or climate change) decided by a poll and not science?

retiredman
05-19-2008, 10:40 AM
So you want the truth about global warming (or is it global cooling, or climate change) decided by a poll and not science?

you cut and paste post made a big deal out of the fact that 30K scientists reject the theory, as if that somehow proves that the theory is inaccurate. I aksed you how many support it? simple question. do you have an answer or not?

red states rule
05-19-2008, 10:42 AM
you cut and paste post made a big deal out of the fact that 30K scientists reject the theory, as if that somehow proves that the theory is inaccurate. I aksed you how many support it? simple question. do you have an answer or not?

I also posted some of the enviro wacko doom and gloom predictions - as well as 150 years worth of "news articles" from the DNC Times screaming about global warming (or is it global cooling or climate change)

That does cast a great deal of doubt on the rants of the envir wackos

glockmail
05-19-2008, 10:43 AM
how many support it?
Dunno. Where's their list of signer's on?

red states rule
05-19-2008, 10:53 AM
Dunno. Where's their list of signer's on?

Obama believes in it, and plans to tell us what we can drive, how much we can eat, and what temp we can have in our home

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?t=14465

glockmail
05-19-2008, 11:00 AM
Obama believes in it, and plans to tell us what we can drive, how much we can eat, and what temp we can have in our home

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?t=14465

I'd like to see him try and tell Rosie O'Donell and Mike Moore to restrict their diets. They might eat the little bastard.

theHawk
05-19-2008, 11:02 AM

Evidence of a warming trend in no way proves anthropogenic global warming. The Earth has been warming for the last 15,000 years since the last ice age ended, that is a fact. How is it they can prove human activity is "very likely" the driving force behind warming for the last 50? Its been warming for 15,000 years!

retiredman
05-19-2008, 11:02 AM
I also posted some of the enviro wacko doom and gloom predictions - as well as 150 years worth of "news articles" from the DNC Times screaming about global warming (or is it global cooling or climate change)

That does cast a great deal of doubt on the rants of the envir wackos

do you have an answer or not?

red states rule
05-19-2008, 11:05 AM
do you have an answer or not?

I would say you global warming nuts are full of shit, and more and more proof is coming out to prove it :laugh2:

retiredman
05-19-2008, 11:06 AM
I would say you global warming nuts are full of shit, and more and more proof is coming out to prove it :laugh2:

so....you don't have an answer to my question. I understand. why not just say so?

red states rule
05-19-2008, 11:09 AM
so....you don't have an answer to my question. I understand. why not just say so?

More from the anti global waming crowd

Canadian Climatologist: Global Warming 'Fear Card' Being Used in U.S. Like 'Race Card'
By Noel Sheppard | February 14, 2007 - 13:58 ET

The name Timothy Ball should be familiar to many conservatives as one of the leading international skeptics of man’s role in global warming. He was interviewed recently by Bill Steigerwald of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, and once again made some fascinating statements about the media hysteria surrounding this issue (emphasis mine throughout):

As I tell audiences, the minute somebody starts saying “Oh, the children are going to die and the grandchildren are going to have no future,” they have now played the emotional and fear card. Just like in the U.S., it’s almost like the race card. It’s not to say that it isn’t valid in some cases. But the minute you play that card, you are now taking the issues and the debates out of the rational and logical and reasonable and sensible and calm into the emotional and hysterical.
As soon as people start saying something’s settled, it’s usually that they don’t want to talk about it anymore. They don’t want anybody to dig any deeper. It’s very, very far from settled. In fact, that’s the real problem. We haven’t been able to get all of the facts on the table. The IPCC is a purely political setup.

Ball elaborated:

[T]he report is the end product of a political agenda, and it is the political agenda of both the extreme environmentalists who of course think we are destroying the world. But it’s also the political agenda of a group of people ... who believe that industrialization and development and capitalism and the Western way is a terrible system and they want to bring it down.

They couldn’t do it by attacking energy because they know that would get the public’s back up very quickly. ... The vehicle they chose was CO2, because that’s the byproduct of industry and fossil-fuel burning, which of course drives the whole thing. They think, “If we can show that that is destroying the planet, then it allows us to control.” Unfortunately, you’ve got a bunch of scientists who have this political agenda as well, and they have effectively controlled the IPCC process

http://newsbusters.org/node/10828

MtnBiker
05-19-2008, 11:40 AM
Scientists agreeing, scientists disagreeing, hmm in 1400 I wonder what the consensus by scientists of the earth rather than the sun being the center of the solar system?

red states rule
05-19-2008, 11:42 AM
Scientists agreeing, scientists disagreeing, hmm in 1400 I wonder what the consensus by scientists of the earth rather than the sun being the center of the solar system?

I wish some damn CO2 would come my way. It is in the 50's here today and the breeze makes it feel like the 40's

red states rule
05-19-2008, 01:19 PM
Here is something the liberal media will ignore

AccuWeather Meteorologist Tells Obama to Can Gore as Environment Advisor
By Noel Sheppard | May 19, 2008 - 10:36 ET

Although Joe Bastardi is likely not a household name, most Americans probably know his face as one of the meteorologists interviewed whenever a serious climate event like a hurricane hits the mainland.

Despite such regular airtime, the senior AccuWeather.com meteorologist's open letter to presidential candidates concerning anthropogenic global warming will likely be thoroughly ignored by media far more interested in spreading the unproven junk science of Nobel Laureate Al Gore than advancing the discussion concerning this controversial issue.

This is especially true given Bastardi's suggestion that Obama "can [Gore] as an advisor on the environment."

for the letter and complete article

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2008/05/19/accuweather-meteorologists-tells-obama-can-gore-environment-advisor

Yurt
05-19-2008, 04:26 PM

good point. mfm's logical fallacy (FN1) attempts to wipe away the fact that a large number of scientist do not support the probable majority of scientists view concerning global warming. these scientist offered their signature, not ad numerum purposes, but to show that global warming is far from "fact" and still only a theory. they probably were persuaded to do this because so many global warming theorists act as if it is a fact.

FN1
Argumentum ad numerum (argument or appeal to numbers). This fallacy is the attempt to prove something by showing how many people think that it's true. But no matter how many people believe something, that doesn't necessarily make it true or right. Example: "At least 70% of all Americans support restrictions on access to abortions." Well, maybe 70% of Americans are wrong!

ranger
05-19-2008, 04:40 PM

It's 104 here today!

ranger
05-19-2008, 04:44 PM

And everyone knows how wonderfully infallible the UN is, after all, they've never made a mistake since the start of it. Exccept for Food for Oil, Kofe Annan, Congo peacekeepers, etc.

Most likely it's the freaking sun, which has been having a lot of solar activity lately. You remember the sun, it's that big yellow thing in the sky that WARMS the FUCKING planet! If it's putting out extra energy, stands to reason we would get a little warmer, don'tcha think?

ranger
05-19-2008, 04:46 PM
Sun's Output Increasing in Possible Trend Fueling Global Warming
By Robert Roy Britt
Senior Science Writer
posted: 02:30 pm ET
20 March 2003

In what could be the simplest explanation for one component of global warming, a new study shows the Sun's radiation has increased by .05 percent per decade since the late 1970s.

The increase would only be significant to Earth's climate if it has been going on for a century or more, said study leader Richard Willson, a Columbia University researcher also affiliated with NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies.

The Sun's increasing output has only been monitored with precision since satellite technology allowed necessary observations. Willson is not sure if the trend extends further back in time, but other studies suggest it does.

"This trend is important because, if sustained over many decades, it could cause significant climate change," Willson said.

In a NASA-funded study recently published in Geophysical Research Letters, Willson and his colleagues speculate on the possible history of the trend based on data collected in the pre-satellite era.

"Solar activity has apparently been going upward for a century or more," Willson told SPACE.com today.

Willson said the Sun's possible influence has been largely ignored because it is so difficult to quantify over long periods.

Confounding efforts to determine the Sun's role is the fact that its energy output waxes and wanes every 11 years. This solar cycle, as it is called, reached maximum in the middle of 2000 and achieved a second peak in 2002. It is now ramping down toward a solar minimum that will arrive in about three years.

Connections

Changes in the solar cycle -- and solar output -- are known to cause short-term climate change on Earth. At solar max, Earth's thin upper atmosphere can see a doubling of temperature. It swells, and denser air can puff up to the region of space where the International Space Station orbits, causing increased drag on the ship and forcing more frequent boosts from space shuttles.

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/sun_output_030320.html

Kathianne
05-19-2008, 04:48 PM
It's 104 here today!

We're in the 40-60's all week. Brrrr!

ranger
05-19-2008, 04:50 PM
We're in the 40-60's all week. Brrrr!

Bad part is we're supposed to be in the 80s by this weekend. I feel a cold coming on already.

glockmail
05-20-2008, 05:38 AM
Here is something the liberal media will ignore

AccuWeather Meteorologist Tells Obama to Can Gore as Environment Advisor
By Noel Sheppard | May 19, 2008 - 10:36 ET

Although Joe Bastardi is likely not a household name, most Americans probably know his face as one of the meteorologists interviewed whenever a serious climate event like a hurricane hits the mainland.

Despite such regular airtime, the senior AccuWeather.com meteorologist's open letter to presidential candidates concerning anthropogenic global warming will likely be thoroughly ignored by media far more interested in spreading the unproven junk science of Nobel Laureate Al Gore than advancing the discussion concerning this controversial issue.

This is especially true given Bastardi's suggestion that Obama "can [Gore] as an advisor on the environment."

for the letter and complete article

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2008/05/19/accuweather-meteorologists-tells-obama-can-gore-environment-advisor

Bastardi's one of the nations top weather scientist. If he says the debate ain't over, it ain't over. So sorry Al Gore.

red states rule
05-20-2008, 05:42 AM
Bastardi's one of the nations top weather scientist. If he says the debate ain't over, it ain't over. So sorry Al Gore.

The enviro wackos will dismiss him, and try to say he is being paid by the evil oil companies

Facts never matter to these doomsday nuts

AFbombloader
05-22-2008, 08:17 AM
I've noticed a distinct increase in the tempetrature where I am too, for about the last week. Oh yeah, I am 80 miles from the equator! So I guess it is supposted to be warm and humid.

AF:salute:

red states rule
05-22-2008, 09:05 AM
I've noticed a distinct increase in the tempetrature where I am too, for about the last week. Oh yeah, I am 80 miles from the equator! So I guess it is supposted to be warm and humid.

AF:salute:

It was in the 30's here last night. Had to turn on the furnance last night

And to Sen Obama, the temp was set above 72

Yep, global warming is getting to be a real pain