PDA

View Full Version : Obama's Wife Off Limits Even if Campaigning?

Yurt
05-19-2008, 10:22 AM
Obama tells Tenn.'s GOP: 'Lay off my wife'

WASHINGTON - Democrat Barack Obama has a message for Tennessee's Republican Party: "Lay off my wife."

Obama, his party's presidential front-runner, and his wife, Michelle, were asked in an interview aired Monday on ABC's "Good Morning America" about an online video last week by the state's GOP taking her to task for a comment some considered unpatriotic.

"The GOP, should I be the nominee, can say whatever they want to say about me, my track record," Obama said. "If they think that they're going to try to make Michelle an issue in this campaign, they should be careful because that I find unacceptable, the notion that you start attacking my wife or my family."

He called the strategy "low class."

The video, posted on YouTube, centered on remarks Michelle Obama made while campaigning in Wisconsin last February, when she said: "For the first time in my adult life, I am really proud of my country."

link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080519/ap_on_el_pr/obama_wife;_ylt=ApJoV7O6PdZnEpII5EQ_HJQDW7oF)

Should a family member be off limits if they are campaigning? What if this had been a friend of obama's? A member of his campaign staff? I'm not sure where i stand on this because she injected herself into the public spotlight and the comments criticized were publically made. the GOP did not attack something she said in private, but while publically campaigning.

dread
05-19-2008, 10:23 AM
Obama needs to get over himself. If she speaks she is fair game.

hjmick
05-19-2008, 10:40 AM
Does anyone believe for one second that the DNC or it's puppets will fail to mention Cindy McCain's addiction to pain killers or the fact that, in the course of her addiction she boosted some from the charity she was involved with? Does anyone think for one second that the DNC or it's minions will fail to glaum on to the first miscue or ill-advised comment uttered by Cindy McCain? I don't.

What makes Michelle Obama special? What makes Barack think she's so special where campaigning is concerned? I would say that a man's wife is just as big an influence on his ideas, his beliefs and his decision making as, say, I don't know...his spiritual advisor. Therefore, I would have to say that it is perfectly acceptable to scrutinaize a candidate's spouse. I don't necessarily like it, but hey, life's not fair.

Yurt
05-19-2008, 10:46 AM
good points. i see your point hjmick, but if the spouse truly wanted to remain out of the limelight, for me, i would leave her alone and not intrude her privacy solely because her husband wants to run for president. but the minute they inject themselves in the public spotlight, they become a public figure and a fair game.

and what about obama criticizing bill clinton for remarks he made on his wife's campaign trail? why is he fair game and michelle not? he was not criticizing bill as former president, but solely for remarks made while campaigning. typical obama double standard.

namvet
05-19-2008, 10:49 AM
maybe that's her problem. she needs to get laid. :lol:

hjmick
05-19-2008, 10:55 AM
The very nature of today's political game make it unrealistic for a candidate to think that their spouse is going to be treated with kid gloves, especially if they stump for their husband or wife. Once they hit the campaign trail and begin espousing their other half's talking points, they open themselves up to questions and criticism. In principle I agree with you, Yurt, but only insofar as that, if they have not hit the campaign trail or in some other fashion put themselves in the spotlight should they be off limits.

Pale Rider
05-19-2008, 11:42 AM
Obama tells Tenn.'s GOP: 'Lay off my wife'

WASHINGTON - Democrat Barack Obama has a message for Tennessee's Republican Party: "Lay off my wife."

Obama, his party's presidential front-runner, and his wife, Michelle, were asked in an interview aired Monday on ABC's "Good Morning America" about an online video last week by the state's GOP taking her to task for a comment some considered unpatriotic.

"The GOP, should I be the nominee, can say whatever they want to say about me, my track record," Obama said. "If they think that they're going to try to make Michelle an issue in this campaign, they should be careful because that I find unacceptable, the notion that you start attacking my wife or my family."

He called the strategy "low class."

The video, posted on YouTube, centered on remarks Michelle Obama made while campaigning in Wisconsin last February, when she said: "For the first time in my adult life, I am really proud of my country."

link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080519/ap_on_el_pr/obama_wife;_ylt=ApJoV7O6PdZnEpII5EQ_HJQDW7oF)

Should a family member be off limits if they are campaigning? What if this had been a friend of obama's? A member of his campaign staff? I'm not sure where i stand on this because she injected herself into the public spotlight and the comments criticized were publically made. the GOP did not attack something she said in private, but while publically campaigning.

Hey I got one for ya Obamalamabambam... you're wife is an American hating, racist BITCH! How do you like that fucker?

Like Dread said... she opens her mouth, she's fair game.

MtnBiker
05-19-2008, 11:50 AM
Michelle Obama is quite relavent to the campaign, not only because she is on the campaign trail doing speaches, but also her potential role if Barrack becomes president. Hillary has shown us that a first lady with a professional background and established career may seek more of a political role in the White House beyond the traditional first lady role. Michelle Obama fits this scenerio easily, she is not just going to be hosting tea parties to womens groups, she will have an active participation in political happenings. The american people have a sense of this, for Barrack Obama to demand the people lay off his wife, that is just not going to happen.

Pale Rider
05-19-2008, 11:54 AM
Michelle Obama is quite relavent to the campaign, not only because she is on the campaign trail doing speaches, but also her potential role if Barrack becomes president. Hillary has shown us that a first lady with a professional background and established career may seek more of a political role in the White House beyond the traditional first lady role. Michelle Obama fits this scenerio easily, she is not just going to be hosting tea parties to womens groups, she will have an active participation in political happenings. The american people have a sense of this, for Barrack Obama to demand the people lay off his wife, that is just not going to happen.

That's the scuttle MB, that michelle wears the pants and calls the shots. I'm sure they're trying to silence that rumor.

MtnBiker
05-19-2008, 12:00 PM
Well, another thing about Michelle, she just is not likeable.

Abbey Marie
05-19-2008, 02:09 PM
Minor children should be off limits, as they have no real choice in the matter. Spouses and other adults who campaign and voice their opinions deserve to be held accountable for their own words and actions. Tough, Obama. Nice try at stifling our speech, though.

mundame
05-19-2008, 03:19 PM
Minor children should be off limits, as they have no real choice in the matter. Spouses and other adults who campaign and voice their opinions deserve to be held accountable for their own words and actions. Tough, Obama. Nice try at stifling our speech, though.

Yeah, really. I agree --------- if they are playing the game, you definitely get to play against them!

I don't know what Obama was thinking of: his wife is campaigning and no one is supposed to say boo about the outrageous things she has said?

They need to keep her off the stage if they want that.

She's said a lot more bad stuff than that one infamous remark about not being proud, it was all in that New Yorker article about her.

Michelle Obama (http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/03/10/080310fa_fact_collins), while on the stump for her husband, the Presidential candidate Barack Obama, makes the assessment that, as Lauren Collins writes, “life in America . . . is not good. . . . We’re a country that is ‘just downright mean,’ we are ‘guided by fear,’ we’re a nation of cynics, sloths, and complacents”

She's a dope; incapable of contributing positively to a presidential campaign and her husband's second worst political problem, after Rev. Wright, IMO.

I mean, I'm a feminist and all, but darn, you've got to have SOME IQ: this woman is a dodo and not at all nice.

Kathianne
05-19-2008, 04:26 PM

In all honesty, seems to me that until the kids are through college, unless they are making public remarks, they should be off limits. I'd even say the same for spouses, IF they are not involved with the campaign, the last time that occurred was when?

Michelle made herself part of the story, she chose to do so.

Abbey Marie
05-19-2008, 04:32 PM
In all honesty, seems to me that until the kids are through college, unless they are making public remarks, they should be off limits. I'd even say the same for spouses, IF they are not involved with the campaign, the last time that occurred was when?

Michelle made herself part of the story, she chose to do so.

I tend to agree. And travelling around on the campaign trail as a "supportive presence" is one thing; opening up your maw and making political statements is quite another.

I seem to recall Barbara, Mrs. George H.W. Bush, having to take a lot of grief when he was running.

Kathianne
05-19-2008, 04:34 PM
I tend to agree. And travelling around on the campaign trail as a "supportive presence" is one thing; opening up your maw and making political statements is quite another.

I seem to recall Barbara, Mrs. George H.W. Bush, having to take a lot of grief when he was running.

Yep, Barbara took plenty of flak, but she could dish it out too. ;) George didn't treat her as a damsel in distress.

ranger
05-19-2008, 04:35 PM
If they stay on the background and don't campaign or make speeches, then they should be off limits. If they go out on the campaign trail, well, all's fair in love and war.

Abbey Marie
05-19-2008, 04:35 PM
Yep, Barbara took plenty of flak, but she could dish it out too. ;) George didn't treat her as a damsel in distress.

:laugh2: She is one indomitable woman.

Kathianne
05-19-2008, 04:38 PM
:laugh2: She is one indomitable woman.

She is probably my favorite first lady. One of the best political events I attended was a dinner with her and she brought Laura. Both are as nice as can be, though Barbara can be a bit 'blue.' :laugh2: She knows her politics though!

Abbey Marie
05-19-2008, 04:46 PM
She is probably my favorite first lady. One of the best political events I attended was a dinner with her and she brought Laura. Both are as nice as can be, though Barbara can be a bit 'blue.' :laugh2: She knows her politics though!

I'm jealous!

gabosaurus
05-19-2008, 07:19 PM
McCain doesn't need to worry about Obama's wife being off limits. He needs to make his own wife off limits. From his legendary temper outbursts.

http://rawstory.com/news/2008/McCain_temper_boiled_over_in_92_0407.html

At one point, Cindy playfully twirled McCain's hair and said, "You're getting a little thin up there." McCain's face reddened, and he responded, "At least I don't plaster on the makeup like a trollop, you c*nt." McCain's excuse was that it had been a long day. If elected president of the United States, McCain would have many long days.

gabosaurus
05-19-2008, 07:21 PM
And certainly McCain doesn't want to mention how he dumped his first wife after he came back from Viet Nam.

manu1959
05-19-2008, 08:34 PM
don't pick on my wife............holy shit is she in for a drubbing now......

is it just me is her ass huge.............

stephanie
05-19-2008, 08:38 PM
She always looks like she wants to kick the crap out of someone..

she scares me.:coffee:

Pale Rider
05-20-2008, 01:52 AM
She always looks like she wants to kick the crap out of someone..

she scares me.:coffee:

She does... she wants to beat the crap out of whitey for inventing aides to kill all the black people. "God damn America" and whitey for that.

PostmodernProphet
05-20-2008, 04:36 AM
I suspect Hillary supports this 100%, she wants Bill to be off limits too.......

red states rule
05-20-2008, 05:40 AM
She does... she wants to beat the crap out of whitey for inventing aides to kill all the black people. "God damn America" and whitey for that.

This bombo was ranted how America is a mean country, how her college classmates were white oppressors, how she was never proud of her country until hubby started winning primaries, and how America is ignorant on race - and she expects not to be called on those comments

Now Barry is acting like she is a defenseless babe in the woods?

This is another new Obama rule for the campaign

Now we can't talk about his wife.

And we can't mention his middle name, Wright, Resko, Ayers, his racist comments in his book, can't call him a liberal, and can't mention he has the most liberal voting record in the Senate

Guess what Barry? Rules were made to be broken

hjmick
05-20-2008, 09:30 AM
I suspect Hillary supports this 100%, she wants Bill to be off limits too.......

She just wants Bill to shut the hell up.

red states rule
05-20-2008, 09:36 AM
She just wants Bill to shut the hell up.

and who the hell is going to do it?

hjmick
05-20-2008, 09:44 AM
and who the hell is going to do it?

Good question. I suppose this is what happens when you take away all his extracurricular activities. Might be time for Slick Willie to find a new diversion...

red states rule
05-20-2008, 09:45 AM
Good question. I suppose this is what happens when you take away all his extracurricular activities. Might be time for Slick Willie to find a new diversion...

Not anytime soon. Hillary is going to have a HUGE win in KY, and including FL and MI; may have the popular vote lead by the this time Wed morning

Bill will be out there even more if that happens